Will Barnes start over Klay?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:12 am
I'm surprised nobody has thought about this possibility. After all, Iggy is also a 2, not just a 3. Wouldn't it make sense to keep Barnes at the 3? That is a great athletic combo with Iggy and Barnes!

Curry
Iguodala
Barnes
Lee
Bogut
Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:07 pm
I'd rather spread out the floor with Thompson. That line up will be used for sure but I'd rather start off with Klay just my opinion.

That would give Iggy more room to operate when they have to stay out on Klay.

Honestly I can see multiple starting line-ups and can't go wrong with many.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:13 pm
But why would you want to start Barnes over Klay? Klay is better on both sides of the ball right now.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:46 pm
Curry/Thompson/Iguodala/Lee/Bogut
Barnes is in first, Lee slides to the 5, Bogut to the bench
Bogut back at 5, Green at 4, Barnes slides to 3. Lee and Thompson or Iguodala to the bench.
The only major problem I see is Curry playing too many minutes
Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:56 pm
hummbabybear wrote:Curry/Thompson/Iguodala/Lee/Bogut
Barnes is in first, Lee slides to the 5, Bogut to the bench
Bogut back at 5, Green at 4, Barnes slides to 3. Lee and Thompson or Iguodala to the bench.
The only major problem I see is Curry playing too many minutes

I've seen were Iguodala can play some point. Thompson needs to be able to bring it up the floor too. If we can't get a solid backup to Curry we are comfortable with, we will have to go to a Thompson, Iguodala, Barnes backcourt to give Curry a break. We can't have Curry playing 42-45 minutes a night. Just can't happen.

All Star
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:27 pm
Thompson is a spot up shooter, when he is open he can really knock them down, when he tries to create for him self bad news, he needs to come off screens, work to get open like Reggie Miller did or work on creating for him self, I am more comfortable with the first.

Barnes just needs more freedom, he was playing his role behind Curry/Lee/Klay, he can develop an arsenal of moves, talking post, step-back, off the dribble, over-power smaller defenders or drive by slower ones defending on the match-up. Look what he did as a rookie in the playoffs, kid can ball.

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:27 pm
Until Barnes can efficiently create his own shot Klay is better.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:34 pm
Exactly, BF.

Andre's too skilled with the ball in his hands and (conversely) too poor of an outside shooter to be a guard. He's 6'6", but he's a STRONG, wide-bodied 6'6" who can defend the smallest 4 positions extremely well. His handles are better than his jumper, so I expect Iggy to play point forward for us, offensively.

Barnes lit up eyes at the 4, in the playoffs. That means the team will use this opportunity to replace Landry internally and not spend any extra dough on another redundant, backup post scorer. Depth charts, at this point:

Starting: Curry, Thompson, Iggy, Lee, Bogut.

1st sub: Curry, Thompson, Iggy, Barnes, Lee.

If Steph needs a rest, don't be surprised to see a backcourt of Iggy and Klay with AI handling the rock.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:33 pm
Barnes averaged about 16 per game in the playoffs, with a variety of moves, to me he is already better than Thompson, who to me should be used as a spot up shooter. Barnes' skill set is already more developed as Klay, he could have easily averaged as much a Klay he just didn't have the same freedom.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:37 am
I think he did have as much freedom, bro.

What he lacked was initiative, until Jackson begged him to take advantage of the Spurs pointing PGs on him. And not that I'm putting the series loss on Barnes, but how exactly did the Warriors fair when he was getting 20 shots a night?
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:50 am
We turned to Barnes and made him carry a lot of weight by himself, cause he was the only one alongside Curry who was able to create for himself. And we did that because the guy who you are saying is better than him offensively disappeared completely in those series. I didn't wanna comment on this, but you saying Klay is better is one thing, it's debatable, but saying that it's Harrison's fault, and ignoring that other guy is pretty unfair towards our rookie.

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:26 am
Too many other elements and factors to consider concerning the Spurs game, he did his part the rest of teammates did not, his coach did not. As a rookie he was hesitant thats understand-able, either way he was defering to others. If he becomes assertive, and the warriors do run plays specifically for him he can blossom into something special.

Klay disapeared vs the Spurs, as good a defender as Kawhi is, there is no excuse to bomb the way Klay did, dude is a great shooter, benificial to the team yes, but that should be his role, unless he improves other aspects of his game during the off-season. Pretty much just adding to what Guy was saying.

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:23 am
Kawhi is a premiere defender in the league and was built to stop guys like Klay. Hell, Kawhi slowed down Mr. Lebron James.

I think it speaks volume that the Spurs put their best perimeter defender on Klay. Not Barnes.

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:41 am
Spurs clogged the middle, and Lebron couldn't a jumper. As far as Klay there is no excuse for disappearing the way he did, the first couple of games Klay put up 19, 34, 17, as soon as Spurs adjusted and put Khawi, Klay started playing scared, playing full minutes and going 5/13, 2/8, 4/12, total disappearing act, you can put that on Khawi defense, but Klay also needs to take blame for playing so poorly.

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:30 am
Elite defender + regression to the mean. He played better than he is in the first game and went through natural regression along with an elite defender.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball