Are the Warriors going to make another major trade?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 8
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:06 pm
I just can't help but think that they are too stuffed at the wing position. Tim Kawawhkmi has always criticized David Lee. And he keeps on writing that there seems to be less and less of a need for him.

THe Dubs management has shown that they will be super aggressive whenever they want to be. I can't help with all these trade rumors to think that Barnes, Lee, or THompson, one of those will be traded. But the question is for who? Do you trade Lee to dump salary and try to get more depth? Certainly the Warriors need more depth.

Does Lee fit on this squad? Surely he wasn't missed against Denver. And you could argue he was missed against San Antonio, but the Dubs still did real good and showed potential. They just got hurt. It's unfortunate how a guy like Lee would not be needed when he can do so many things right.

Or perhaps do they try to get rid of Thompson? They already have Barnes and Iggy, 2 guys that can play defense and score. They aren't the 3 point shooter THompson is, but they still have Curry. Do they trade THompson and Lee perhaps?

Also, I'm not that sold on Love. If you complain about Lee's empty stats, you will surely complain about Love. That's my opinion. Because Love could never get his team to be anything close to just average. Even when Minnesota was a top rebounding team, they failed miserably. The problem with the NBA is that there just aren't the same kind of quality bigs as there used to be. Aldridge would be one of the few that might be worth it. But the Warriors should not trade both Thompson and Lee because their depth would shrink more, they would be losing more of their core, and perhaps just receiving some of their old problems back.

Or is Draymond Green the reliable back up power forward we need? Is Harrison Barnes good enough to play the 4 over the long haul?

These are questions that need to be addressed. Or is Nedovic good enough to play point guard to back Curry up? The Warriors have a little bit of an identity crisis going on right now. With Iggy, it makes things precarious for Barnes and Thompson. And even perhaps Lee.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:33 pm
The team needs a backup PF and and Center right now, as with Landry and AB gone and Ezeli injured for a while. The TE received from the trade with Utah gives much option in getting these. In actual fact the team could get two players at 5 million each with the TE and still be well under the lux tax.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:31 pm
migya wrote:The team needs a backup PF and and Center right now, as with Landry and AB gone and Ezeli injured for a while. The TE received from the trade with Utah gives much option in getting these. In actual fact the team could get two players at 5 million each with the TE and still be well under the lux tax.

Wow and this is perfect thing to hold onto until February (the longest we can)

Lets not beat around the bush.. the offseason of Summer 2014. Is going to see a lot of franchises selling off pieces to get in the Lebron sweepstakes!!!

You know I'd hate to see LBJ23 sign an extension. The Heat are in major lux tax danger. They'd be best trading one of the big 3 (for lux tax space) and maybe the Warriors could be a interesting trade destination target.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:40 pm
I don't think they have an identity crisis at all. This whole trade Lee bs talk started because they beat the Nuggets without him. Great. Imo Nuggets aren't that talented and overachieved. Think about it, Iggy was probably their best player and now he is probably a 3rd or 4th option on the Warriors. And Gallinari was injured. And the Nuggets made a mistake by trying to match W's small ball instead of using size. When Nugz went big, Warriors got abused on the glass (cue need for Lee). Vs Spurs, W's had a couple 'on fire' games from Curry and Klay, and after the predictable cool down from a jump shooting team, they were handled by the Spurs. Lee is a major component to this team so I think trading him would be a huge mistake unless you're getting a all star / superstar PF in return. Biggest needs are some backup big men and a backup PG. Iggy is a great pickup because he can play minutes at the 2 and 3, rotating with Klay and Barnes.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 8
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:00 pm
What about monta Ellis? Would it work to have him back up curry? He could play point guard for a little bit I'm sure. He could even back up Thompson at times.

All Star
Poster Credit: 24
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:03 pm
No.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:41 pm
Ellis will end up in Denver or Chicago (I'm betting the former).

Acquiring him would be wonderful. He'd be a terrific 7th man; a torrid scorer off-the-bench who could spell either guard and play heavy minutes when he's hot. Can't road-block Klay anymore, would know it was Steph's team every step of the way, wouldn't be heavily relied-upon so there's no risk of him imploding the team with immaturity or too many shot attempts or any of that jazz.

Problem is, we can't afford him. So no sense talking about him.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:38 pm
Ellis looks to be closing a deal with the Hawks worth about $10 mill, not years on the deal yet.

The warriors will need to a add a big man or two. I am not fond of too much smallball, it does not work for every team as far as match-ups go.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:57 am
32 wrote:Ellis will end up in Denver or Chicago (I'm betting the former).

Acquiring him would be wonderful. He'd be a terrific 7th man; a torrid scorer off-the-bench who could spell either guard and play heavy minutes when he's hot. Can't road-block Klay anymore, would know it was Steph's team every step of the way, wouldn't be heavily relied-upon so there's no risk of him imploding the team with immaturity or too many shot attempts or any of that jazz.

No way Ellis would want that. If I remember correctly he said recently that he "has it all". You can't expect someone with that attitude to come off the bench and be happy about it.

He will be a starter in Atlanta, and he will have a regular shot at the POs. They just switched Josh Smith for Paul Millsap, which is a good thing, especially if they can get some other weapons as well, cause they saved a lot of money by not keeping J Smoove. They still have Horford, Korver extended...Teague is going probably, so they need to figure out who their PG is going to be. Heck, they might try Ellis as a PG.

But anyway, they might get a nice team there.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:27 am
Guybrush wrote:
32 wrote:Ellis will end up in Denver or Chicago (I'm betting the former).

No way Ellis would want that. If I remember correctly he said recently that he "has it all". You can't expect someone with that attitude to come off the bench and be happy about it.

He will be a starter in Atlanta, and he will have a regular shot at the POs. They just switched Josh Smith for Paul Millsap, which is a good thing, especially if they can get some other weapons as well, cause they saved a lot of money by not keeping J Smoove. They still have Horford, Korver extended...Teague is going probably, so they need to figure out who their PG is going to be. Heck, they might try Ellis as a PG.

But anyway, they might get a nice team there.

What happened to the Hawks plan of acquiring a centre so that they can move Horford back to PF? They go and sign Milsap and force Horford to continue playing out of position. I thought they might've done a sign and trade with the Rockets to swap Josh Smith for Asik but I can't blame them for not taking Asik's contract.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:06 pm
I heard some mentions of Bynum, but nothing tangible, because I later read that two most likely destinations for Bynum are Cavaliers and Mavericks.

Now there are also rumors about sign and trade that would involve 3 teams. Don't know how exactly, but Jeff Teague should end up in Milwaukee, check this now, Brandon Jennings in Atlanta, and Monta in Sacramento.

If anything, this is one hell of a FA...and draft was weird as well. At least it's not boring off season. :)
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:05 pm
Guybrush wrote:I heard some mentions of Bynum, but nothing tangible, because I later read that two most likely destinations for Bynum are Cavaliers and Mavericks.

Now there are also rumors about sign and trade that would involve 3 teams. Don't know how exactly, but Jeff Teague should end up in Milwaukee, check this now, Brandon Jennings in Atlanta, and Monta in Sacramento.

If anything, this is one hell of a FA...and draft was weird as well. At least it's not boring off season. :)

Yeah, lots of action with teams going into rebuild mode before the Wiggens lottery but not many teams have made any significant improvement to their rosters apart from Houston and the Warriors so far.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:47 pm
Ringo wrote:
Guybrush wrote:I heard some mentions of Bynum, but nothing tangible, because I later read that two most likely destinations for Bynum are Cavaliers and Mavericks.

Yeah, lots of action with teams going into rebuild mode before the Wiggens lottery but not many teams have made any significant improvement to their rosters apart from Houston and the Warriors so far.

The Clippers killed this year's offseason, and it's not even close.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Rookie
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:38 pm
According to Marcus Thompson, Contra Costa Times...
Projected Starters
PG – Stephen Curry
SG – Klay Thompson
G/F – Andre Iguodala
PF – David Lee
C – Andrew Bogut

Projected Reserves
F – Harrison Barnes
F – Draymond Green
C – Festus Ezeli (injured)
PF/C – Marreese Speights
C – Jermaine O’Neal
G – Toney Douglas
G – Kent Bazemore
G – Nemanja Nedovic (possibility)

"That leaves two roster spots open, possibly four if Nedovic stays overseas and Kent Bazemore is let go. Those spots are hope for the likes of non-guaranteed players Scott Machado, Dwayne Jones and Kevin Murphy. Also in the mix for those spots are Syracuse rookie forward James Southerland, Ohio State rookie guard D.J. Cooper and whoever else emerges and wants to try to earn a roster spot with Golden State."

Looks like we are in much better shape this year with an emphasis on better defense and much better backup in the 5 spot.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:41 pm
I think Nedovic will play this year, and he will get some time alongside Douglas, and maybe even some time as a SG, or when Curry is a SG. Of course, add in blow up games, and stuff...he needs as much minutes as possible. Can't wait Summer League to see what he can do there. Of course, if he doesn't stay with our national team.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball