Are the Warriors Worse now?????????

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:56 pm
I don't understand this Igoudala trade. Yes, he is a good player and they wanted him for some time. However that was before Barnes became Barnes in the playoffs. But we have even bigger issues now. We spent a lot of money on him and now our depth is surely lacking. Festus is hurt and we no longer have a back up center. With Landry gone, we don't have a backup 4. With Jack gone, all we have is Nedovic at the one. And we lost Rush. So my question is did we just get a whole lot worse? PLus Iggy plays the same position as Barnes and Klay. So now Green is our backup 4? Is Iggy going to play 4? We have gotten real small and even smaller in terms of depth and our pocket book. I don't understand now what there is to be excited about. So far this is our team as we know it.

Curry/ Nedovic
Thompson/ Bazemore
Iguodala/ Barnes
Lee/ Green
Bogut/ ???

Lost the following:
Rush
Landry
Jack
Biedrins
Jefferson

** Festus Ezeli is hurt
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:15 pm
Bro, we're not even done yet. We have to bring in Brand or Jamison. Still have to see if we can bring in some vet PGs at vet minimum. Too early to tell.

I love the trade tho.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Role Player
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:19 pm
8th ave wrote:Bro, we're not even done yet. We have to bring in Brand or Jamison. Still have to see if we can bring in some vet PGs at vet minimum. Too early to tell.

I love the trade tho.

Yea we better not be done yo. Because if this is it, we just got much slimmer in the depth category. Fact is we may not have a clue what in the world will determine who gets the minutes at the 2 and 3? We have Barnes, Iggy, and Thompson. Is Lee coming off the bench if Barnes plays the 4? I'm really confused. Surely this looks like it will cuts someones minutes. And if Barnes does become as good as Iggy then the Warriors just wasted money.

And yea we definitely need another guy like Brand or Jamison to give us more depth. We have no depth now in our front court. But it's also a big blow without Landry, even if we get someone else. Just sucks we couldn't get Howard as well.

All we really got was Iggy, who is a great addition, but in exchange we sacrificed, and lost a lot, and Barnes may cancel Iggy out.
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:29 pm
Jarrett Jack averaged 30 minutes as a reserve. There is absolutely no reason for Barnes not to average those kinds of minutes as a reserve. Just because he doesn't start doesn't mean he will not be able to contribute. You're probably underestimating the things iggy can do for this team. There is so many to name. First of all he can hand the ball. He can do what Jack did for this team but with much greater size and length. He is a tremendous wing defender. We now have someone to make things more difficult for players like LBJ, James Harden, Kevin Durant, Kobe Bryant. He helps our fast break game. Even at his age, he is still significantly athletic and can still finish at the rim with authority. He can also MENTOR Barnes. Think about it. Barnes has all the tools to become a second coming of Iguodala, and who better to teach him than Iggy himself! This was such a ballsy move and I'm 100% in love with it. But like I said, we have to round out this roster. Bring in some veterans like Brand or Jamison. Maybe Chauncey will be open to coming here.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:37 pm
To answer simply, no.

We are not worse with this signing. I understand the depth isn't there YET. I don't think we are done in free agency.

I think at times Barnes could play some 4. I can see us going to a smaller scoring line up in: Curry, Thompson, Iguodala, Barnes, and Lee.

Lee is 6'9 and Barnes is 6'8. It's possible. Barnes has the frame to put on weight too.

We need a vet PG and a backup post.
Role Player
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:16 pm
In the playoffs especially, you need more than just Lee at center. Imagine if we didn't have Bogut protecting the rim against Denver. It would have been a disaster. Bogut was great when he was healthy. But long term, you ideally have 2 big guys. Playing Barnes at the 4 is good in situational times, but not every single game. That's why I think having Iggy will make it more likely for Thompson or Barnes to move. They really need all 3?

And yes they better get more well rounded because they lost a lot of their players. No legit back up bigs, and the point guard back up is questionable. This is definitely a concern for me. As the roster stands right now, they are not as good as last year. They don't have Landry and Jack. Ezeli is hurt. No Biedrins to back up Ezeli or Bogut. And no more looking forward to Brandon Rush. But they did get some money back. I would say if they signed Billups or someone like the poster mentioned along with like an Elton Brand, then this would work. But the Thompson/Barnes/Iggy combo looks a bit precarious. Would that work long term or would those players all cancel each other out? Would it produce diminishing returns as opposed to make us more well rounded?

We have too many good wing players now but not enough depth in the front court or back court. That is essentially where we stand.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:23 pm
Stairway...chill for a moment. We're not done yet. Have faith in the front office. Look how they've transformed this team in the last 2 seasons. There is no way Iggy would've even considered playing for the Warriors 2 years ago, let alone for less money. Do you think the Miami Heat were worried about depth when they signed Lebron and Bosh to join Wade? When you have a great starting 5 who'll contend for a championship(and I honestly think we will in the West now that we have Iguodala) veteran players will take less money to sit on the bench of a winning team.
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:31 pm
Your concern is valid but premature. You have to wait until everything unfolds. Simple as that.

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:50 pm
I look at it like this. If we didn't do this deal and just brought the same roster back with the signing of Jack and Landry, it would've been really safe. But no, fuk that. We trying to win some god damn hardware. Jerry West knows if there's no guts, there's no glory. Seems like the sentiment among our front office is to win a championship at all costs. I'm with it.

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:21 pm
Firstly, getting rid of AB and RJ now is what I've been asking for for a year, knowing that as expirers, they would have much value. Rush was a relative unknown here and has skills, but if he had to be included, so be it. The official trade I read was also giving the 2014 and 2017 1st round picks, also mention of a few future 2nd rounders, as well as receiving back Kevin Murphy, who I haven't yet gotten information about. To be able to clear the salary space it was a good move and the big IF is if the team is a real good one for the next four years, thus those two 1st rounders going to Utah will again only be in the 20s, not such a loss.

Getting Iguodala is like a dream come true for the franchise, as he has been coveted for some four years now. I don't think he is quite worth 12 million a year, more like 10-11, but realistically, what he offers is worth that money. What a player defensively, a team weakness, and what an allround talent. He could be a PG out there with how he handles and passes. I don't like that likely Barnes will not be a starter, but maybe the best thing is having Iguodala start only half the time, as he can be PG, SG and SF off the bench. I think Barnes needs to be given every chance to flourish and grow.

Don't know the salary situation for the team right now, but getting rid of 25 million to Utah and only using 12 million on Iguodala leaves another 13 not used. The team should be able to resign both Jack and Landry, only using that 13 million.

Looks good, yet again. This ownership is a winner so far.

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:28 pm
migya wrote:Firstly, getting rid of AB and RJ now is what I've been asking for for a year, knowing that as expirers, they would have much value. Rush was a relative unknown here and has skills, but if he had to be included, so be it. The official trade I read was also giving the 2014 and 2017 1st round picks, also mention of a few future 2nd rounders, as well as receiving back Kevin Murphy, who I haven't yet gotten information about. To be able to clear the salary space it was a good move and the big IF is if the team is a real good one for the next four years, thus those two 1st rounders going to Utah will again only be in the 20s, not such a loss.

Getting Iguodala is like a dream come true for the franchise, as he has been coveted for some four years now. I don't think he is quite worth 12 million a year, more like 10-11, but realistically, what he offers is worth that money. What a player defensively, a team weakness, and what an allround talent. He could be a PG out there with how he handles and passes. I don't like that likely Barnes will not be a starter, but maybe the best thing is having Iguodala start only half the time, as he can be PG, SG and SF off the bench. I think Barnes needs to be given every chance to flourish and grow.

Don't know the salary situation for the team right now, but getting rid of 25 million to Utah and only using 12 million on Iguodala leaves another 13 not used. The team should be able to resign both Jack and Landry, only using that 13 million.

In order for the Warriors to get under the cap to sign Andre Iguodala, they had to renounce the rights to Jarrett Jack. This no longer makes him a candidate for re-signing. Also, when we went under the cap to sign Iguodala outright, we went over it again and this possibly negates our Mid-Level Exception. One thing we do have from the trade with Utah is a huge amount of trade exception. Theoretically, we can absorb almost any contract as long as the team is willing to deal with us. Another option we have is the veteran minimum. Players can come here as long as they agree to play at minimum wage.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:39 pm
8th ave wrote:
migya wrote:Firstly, getting rid of AB and RJ now is what I've been asking for for a year, knowing that as expirers, they would have much value. Rush was a relative unknown here and has skills, but if he had to be included, so be it. The official trade I read was also giving the 2014 and 2017 1st round picks, also mention of a few future 2nd rounders, as well as receiving back Kevin Murphy, who I haven't yet gotten information about. To be able to clear the salary space it was a good move and the big IF is if the team is a real good one for the next four years, thus those two 1st rounders going to Utah will again only be in the 20s, not such a loss.

In order for the Warriors to get under the cap to sign Andre Iguodala, they had to renounce the rights to Jarrett Jack. This no longer makes him a candidate for re-signing. Also, when we went under the cap to sign Iguodala outright, we went over it again and this possibly negates our Mid-Level Exception. One thing we do have from the trade with Utah is a huge amount of trade exception. Theoretically, we can absorb almost any contract as long as the team is willing to deal with us. Another option we have is the veteran minimum. Players can come here as long as they agree to play at minimum wage.

I don't want to go into luxury tax territory and there is no need to. Using 7-8 million of the TE can get the team two good players to fill out the bench.

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:41 pm
migya wrote:
8th ave wrote:

I don't want to go into luxury tax territory and there is no need to. Using 7-8 million of the TE can get the team two good players to fill out the bench.

Only if we can find a partner willing to deal. Usually teams that are willing are the ones who have bad contracts. Luckily for us, there's the Wiggins sweepstakes that a lot of team are trying to win. Hopefully that'll convince teams to let go of players that they usually wouldn't consider.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:19 pm
8th ave wrote:
migya wrote:
8th ave wrote:

Only if we can find a partner willing to deal. Usually teams that are willing are the ones who have bad contracts. Luckily for us, there's the Wiggins sweepstakes that a lot of team are trying to win. Hopefully that'll convince teams to let go of players that they usually wouldn't consider.

Great point.

The FO should be able to acquire a PG and backup Center that way.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:59 pm
Stairway Man I have the exact same feelings on this as you. They really are going to need to find a way to replace Jack and Landry. I don't think people realize what a big impact Jack had on the team. And Landry was a very very valuable reserve.

I don't agree with the idea that Iguodala will be able to replace Jack as a ball handler. He has a good handle, but Jack is far superior in that respect in my opinion. And Curry plays much better when he does not have to handle the ball all the time. I like when he has the ball in his hands and makes plays for his teammates, but I think he plays better when he also has the option of playing off the ball and running off screens.

Also we gave up 2 first round picks and 2 second round picks, which seems like a lot in itself. For a very good player, but one who will be 30 in January. I think I would feel better about it if he was 2 or 3 years younger.

Nedovic is not ready to log big time NBA pg minutes. It's clear just from watching his highlights he is going to take a lot of work to even approach replacing a solid NBA point guard like Jarrett Jack. Will not be ready this year if ever.

As for replacing Landry, let's not forget about Bogut.....people here seem to be assuming he will be healthy this year. What if he has to sit out more than half the season like he did last year ? Are we really convinced that is unlikely ? In that event, Lee will be the center, and who's the 4 ? Draymond ? I love Draymond, but in that scenario he would foul out in 15 minutes and then Barnes would be the 4. We would get destroyed on the inside and picked apart, game over.

However I guess I should really hold back from making these conclusive arguments. The team could still be going through some serious changes before the start of the season.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball