The San Fransisco Giants Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:12 pm
Jesus. This feels a lot like 2011 with all these damn injuries.

To date, the Giants have lost Ryan Vogelsong to the 60-day DL, Angel Pagan (2 weeks and no return eminent), Pablo Sandoval (15-day DL, after missing a week already, and probably more to come with a hairline fracture), Marco Scutaro (hand's not broken, but looked real bad), and Jeremy Affeldt (whose finally back).

That's their righty and lefty set-up men, their lead-off center fielder, their #3 hitter, their best bat-handler, and a starter in their prized rotation 2 years removed from an all-star selection. Not to mention, besides Pence and Posey, the roster as a whole has underperformed. Invincible top-of-the-rotation guys like Cain and Bumgarner have been touched up repeatedly, George Kontos hasn't looked good out of the pen yet, and Romo has looked rusty cause he's not getting enough action. I have total faith in Sabes and, come deadline time, I think we're gonna see the Giants bring in a left fielder to hit in the 6 or 7 spot, but damn. I hope they're still in it by that time. You gotta figure the Dodgers have too much brand-name talent to stay sh*tty all year, the DBacks are somehow better without Upton, and the Rockies are always dangerous so long as Tulo stays healthy.

Before the year, I was hoping the Giants would bring Swisher or Ross into the mix to give them an extra bat and some outfield versatility. Sure, both have scuttled early (.239 and .259, respectively), but Swisher's got 7 dongs already and 23 ribeyes. Ross, meanwhile, has played to stereotype and crushed lefty pitching all year long (.404, all of his homers, and a .596 slugging percentage in 1/3 of his total at-bats). Oh, and by the way, Melky Cabrera is doing his thing in Toronto - for all you people who asked how he'd play after coming off the PEDs (.283/.325/.380). I'd take him over Blanco or Torres every day of the week.

What's the Giants' biggest need right now (besides health)?

To me (blasphemous as it is to admit), it's gotta be pitching. Starting pitching, to boot. What are the odds of them bringing in a Ricky Nolasco or someone to help shoulder the load?
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
Poster Credit: 24
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:00 pm
Giants won't make the playoffs at this rate.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:04 pm
You're right; they're 5.5 games behind Pittsburgh for the 2nd Wild Card spot...

That being said, their best player won an MVP purely based on his second half last year. Zito and Lincecum are also traditionally better in the second half. The Giants can't possibly stay this injured all year long. So long as they stay within striking distance in the NL West, I'll have faith.

But I do think they need a trade to go anywhere in the playoffs. You can't win a series platooning an outfield spot. Giants need a LF who can swing the boom stick.

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:11 pm
They should have signed Nick Swisher. He can play a bit of left.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:47 pm
Preaching to the choir, broski
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:05 pm
Soooo, Angel Pagan goes down in Stockton before he even gets to 1st base. Jumps up and down in agony, crumbles to the floor, carted off in a gardener go-kart... looks like he needs hammy surgery with a side of you're-fuckin-DONE-son.

Melky's looking REEEEEAL expendable now. :banghead:

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:50 pm
NL West is crazy close.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:55 pm
Aka, wide open. You'd think with the kinda money we fans pump into that club, they could afford more than 1 major league outfielder. I know most Giants fans are wetting themselves about Juan Perez right now, but he kinda smells like Eugenio Velez to me. I know Gary Brown has been swinging an empty stick since 2011, but he's hitting .360 in June with a slugging percentage north of .600, sooo I'm down to let him grow up in the bigs ala Belt and Crawford. I'd WAY prefer that over this infernal Torres/Blanco platoon.

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:58 pm
Giants getting their ass handed to them by the Marlins.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:24 am
Blackfoot wrote:Giants getting their ass handed to them by the Marlins.

Just so everyone knows..

Blackfoot is a A's fan but a suspect Closet GIANTS fan.

I know Blackfoot from an Athletics forum.. Just take his comments with a grain of salt in here cause he is most likely flaming (trolling)

Banned Once, Banned Twice.. Can happen a 3rd time homie!!!

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:36 am
I hate the Giants.

And **** that A's forum. I stopped going on there. I really don't like anyone there at all.
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:27 pm
PAWNO wrote:
Blackfoot wrote:Giants getting their ass handed to them by the Marlins.

Just so everyone knows..

Blackfoot is a A's fan but a suspect Closet GIANTS fan.

I know Blackfoot from an Athletics forum.. Just take his comments with a grain of salt in here cause he is most likely flaming (trolling)

Banned Once, Banned Twice.. Can happen a 3rd time homie!!!

Thought it was just once before...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:32 pm
I knew BF was an A's fan from a previous discussion.

The way the Giants are playing right now, he's got a lot to razz me about. The Giants need another outfielder that can hit... Maybe they pick up that Cespedes kid when he's outta arbitration and ready for a big boy contract? ::lol: #onlyhalfkidding
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:41 pm
32 wrote:I knew BF was an A's fan from a previous discussion.

The way the Giants are playing right now, he's got a lot to razz me about. The Giants need another outfielder that can hit... Maybe they pick up that Cespedes kid when he's outta arbitration and ready for a big boy contract? ::lol: #onlyhalfkidding

Ouch... Poor A's, they're like the Kenny Mccormicks of the MLB.

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:45 pm
Giants can give 30 year old Cespedes a seven year deal, 126 million I think.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board