2013 Roster Evaluation

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Which major role player is most expendable Warrior for the 2013-'14 season?

Andrew Bogut
No votes
Jarrett Jack
46%
Carl Landry
31%
David Lee
15%
Klay Thompson
8%

Total votes : 13

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:28 am
But Landry didn't add anything to the team that can't be replaced internally. Lee is more than capable of picking up Carl's looks on the block. Plus, Landry wasn't a great rebounder or defender. He's more of a commodity to a team that needs scoring. We don't, so I'm sure we'll let him walk.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:28 pm
What Lndry allowed was for the team to be able to have another very good low post scorer and those aren't so easy to find. It does allow Lee to sit for extended minutes in a game. Without having a backup that can score in bunches like Landry can it will make sitting Lee and even Bogut harder.

If Landry is willing to resign for less than 3.5 million, he's a keeper.

It is interesting to see what other players, if any, the team adds. Very likely they add noone other than replacements for Jack and Landry if either or both leave.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:45 pm
The team needs a backup 4 that can score; not necessarily score on the low block. I'd argue that a stretch 4 would be MORE beneficial. Landry couldn't play alongside Bogut cause they both lived in the paint. That's why Draymond got so many minutes after Lee went down. A stretch 4 with three-point range can play alongside Lee OR Bogut. Landry was great when Bogut was hurt; he lost his role when the team was fully healthy.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:55 pm
Thought this was an interesting take on free agent big-men this offseason:

http://nba.si.com/2013/05/29/2013-free- ... osh-smith/

According to the article, Landry is the 8th ranked free agent big this offseason. Definitely not in the Dwight Howard, Josh Smith first-class level, and just outside of the 2nd-tier that includes DWest, Pekovic, Millsap, and Big Al Jefferson, Landry is apart of that cost-efficient 3rd layer that include Tiago Splitter (a definite resign in SA), Elton Brand, JJ Hickson, Brandon Wright, and Chris Anderson.

Assuming that 3rd level is something the Dubs can't afford (since they're working with an MLE that's almost certainly going to JJ), let's examine some of the 4th and 5th tiers names:

4th tier: Andre Blatche, Elton Brand, Chris Kaman, DeJuan Blair, Martin Speights, Kenyon Martin

Still a little outside our price range; the only one I'd like to see the Warriors give a good college try at would be Elton Brand. He seems like the type of guy that we're looking for; undersized, but still a decent shot-blocker, plus-level rebounder, can get buckets like Landry, possesses that outside jumper we want... Honestly, I'd love to steal Brand from the Mav's and I might just give him the MLE over Jack with the Ezeli injury. Anyone else down?

All Star
Poster Credit: 24
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:48 pm
I'd rather have blatche. Brand is old and bad.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:47 pm
Brand is old and cheap.

I like Blatche too - when he's motivated.

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:52 pm
Yep, I'd rather go the undrafted route than Brand though.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:58 pm
Why do you hate Brand?

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:01 pm
I prefer young players. I want to emulate SA.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:12 pm
I can agree with that, but the Spurs don't discriminate: they brought in Boris Diaw for bench help.

Brand's not totally washed up yet. He's a shadow of his former self, offensively, but he gave the Mav's 6 boards and 1.3 blocks in 21 minutes per game last year. Landry got 23 minutes and put up 6 rebounds, but only 0.4 blocks. The difference, again, was Landry's elite TS% en route to 11 points versus Brand's career-low 7 points on 47%. I'd like to have Brand as a 3rd big; I think he's valuable to us cause he potentially lets you play Lee at PF defensively and C offensively. Landry was a nightmare at the 5-spot and Lee is quite a bit worse defending centers than 4's; particularly perimeter oriented players.

Speaking of the Spurs, would you give DeJuan Blair a try-out? Rumor has it, before management decided to take us under the cap, Blair was someone the Warriors were kicking tires on. I dunno why he fell outta favor with Popp, but his efficiency went from 3 straight years above 17 down to 14 and change (along with 6 or 7 less minutes per game and a ton of DNPs). Blair seems to be different from Landry and Brand in that he's a much better rebounder than they both are, but he's a poor defender like Landry and scores more along the lines of Brand (better floor %'s, poorer FT%). I dunno where he's at, regarding his ACLs and what sort of affect that'll have on shortening his career, but I wouldn't be disappointed to get him in the cheap. Wouldn't be excited, but I'd call him as Landry's replacement serviceable enough to be a wash (since I don't believe Landry's scoring can't be replaced).

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:14 pm
I like Blair. I'd kick the tires on his acl.

All Star
Poster Credit: 8
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:27 pm
32 wrote:The team needs a backup 4 that can score; not necessarily score on the low block. I'd argue that a stretch 4 would be MORE beneficial. Landry couldn't play alongside Bogut cause they both lived in the paint. That's why Draymond got so many minutes after Lee went down. A stretch 4 with three-point range can play alongside Lee OR Bogut. Landry was great when Bogut was hurt; he lost his role when the team was fully healthy.

I believe that Harrison Barnes fits your description for a stretch 4.

When D. Lee needs a breather, why not bring in B.Rush to play 3 and move H.Barnes to 4?

In my opinion, re-signing Jack is key. The team does not have anyone on its roster, other than Jack, who can break down a defender off the dribble. Also, having both Curry and Thompson on the floor at the same time as Jack puts a tremendous amount of pressure on a defense, especially when Curry and Thompson are moving off of screens.

Guys, it was quite an exciting season. I am very much looking forward to next season.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:06 pm
uptempo wrote:
32 wrote:The team needs a backup 4 that can score; not necessarily score on the low block. I'd argue that a stretch 4 would be MORE beneficial. Landry couldn't play alongside Bogut cause they both lived in the paint. That's why Draymond got so many minutes after Lee went down. A stretch 4 with three-point range can play alongside Lee OR Bogut. Landry was great when Bogut was hurt; he lost his role when the team was fully healthy.

I believe that Harrison Barnes fits your description for a stretch 4.

When D. Lee needs a breather, why not bring in B.Rush to play 3 and move H.Barnes to 4?

In my opinion, re-signing Jack is key. The team does not have anyone on its roster, other than Jack, who can break down a defender off the dribble. Also, having both Curry and Thompson on the floor at the same time as Jack puts a tremendous amount of pressure on a defense, especially when Curry and Thompson are moving off of screens.

Guys, it was quite an exciting season. I am very much looking forward to next season.

You're quite right, my friend. Barnes does fit the stretch 4 bill... Offensively. My worry comes on the defensive end, where I doubt HB can contain most opposing PFs. You'll recall Don Nelson used Corey Maggette similarly, with his typical disregard for the defensive side of the ball. If Barnes can work his handles to a more usable level, he can abuse SFs the way he tormented bigs in the playoffs. Barnes is already a plus-shooter and has a developing post game against smalls. With a ground attack, he'd be the most rounded offensive player on the team. He'd also make Jack a little more expendable, should the team fail to retain him.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:42 am
Blair is quite the rebounder. I like KMart as well, as long as his attitude is cooler than it can be.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Previous

Return to Warriors Basketball