Monta Gives Bucks the Heisman

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:09 pm
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball- ... 51549.html

Does Monta honestly believe there's a GM dumb enough to give him more than $12 million per???

Or is he holding out for more years at something along the lines of $8 or $9 million per? Very weird situation: weird that the Bucks would offer him a lucrative extension and even weirder that he turned it down...
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:15 pm
That is strange, will be interesting how it plays out. Dude either needs to play point or come of the bench, or play with a big 1. Either way, he needs to be in a specific situation to become successful.

Bucks are a mess in general, no structure, or vision.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:24 pm
He, specifically, needs a big 1 who playmakes without wanting shots and also happens to be top tier back court defender who can hide Ellis from mismatches with big SGs.

Basically, he needs Jason Kidd. From 12 years ago.

All Star
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:44 pm
That is more unlikey since there really are no big 1s. He did pretty good when he played pg in the month of march or feb, so I can see some success there, a team plays him next to a regular pg, then it will lead to another unsuccessful pairing.

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:22 pm
lol Bucks should go after Jose or Jack to play point and make it a priority to re-sign Reddick. They will be a better team if they try to build around Sanders correctly.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:51 am
Is Sanders a two-way player? I agree, he's an excellent piece, but you gotta be Mutumbo to be a shot-blocker worth building around

I think the Bucks need to start over. I'd keep Sanders and Henson (and Mbah a Moute, if they can), but I'd let everyone else bounce and tank for a lottery pick. Jennings, Ellis, Dunleavy, and Reddick are not players you put a franchise on.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:17 pm
Redick showed last season that he can be more than just a scorer/shooter. He was great in Orlando when distributing the ball as well, and he created his own shots, and even slashed inside a bit, either finishing by himself, or dishing it out to someone for the open shot. I think he is quite a bit undervalued as a player. I'd definitely keep him on my team.

And if I remember, he wasn't a liability on D this season.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:30 pm
Yeah, but his AST% was unsustainably higher than average. A career 14.6% guy doesn't suddenly become a 22.7% player and stay that way, as evident by his fall back to earth after the trade (14.8%, almost identical to his career norm). His DRtg was still pretty terrible (112-113, worse than his career 109) and his traditionally solid TS% (58%, on his career) dropped over 5 points to 52.9% after the trade. Reddick is a complimentary player. I dunno if you can build an offense around him. Orlando tried to make him a secondary option early in his career and his game off the dribble exposed him as an exclusive jump-shooter.

He's not a TERRIBLE piece; he's just not an answer. Same with Ellis, Dunleavy, and Jennings. Given a proper role, most of those guys can carve out a usable niche in the league. Reddick too. I'd just hesitate to build my offense around any of them.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:38 pm
Well, he got to another team, different offense and stuff, it takes a while to adjust, and he was used differently as well. IMO, he can easily be a candidate for a 6th man award, but, he finally got a chance in Orlando to start a bit, and I think that's why we saw that jump in his stats. Might be he finally got a good role, and his best playing time was a result. He improved his ball control and had ball a lot in his hands, and I think he is good when he is not solely used as a shooter. In Milwaukee he had both Jennings and Monta who are quite a big ball hogs.

Though, both can distribute the ball, sadly they remember that only occasionally.

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:17 pm
32 wrote:Is Sanders a two-way player? I agree, he's an excellent piece, but you gotta be Mutumbo to be a shot-blocker worth building around

I think the Bucks need to start over. I'd keep Sanders and Henson (and Mbah a Moute, if they can), but I'd let everyone else bounce and tank for a lottery pick. Jennings, Ellis, Dunleavy, and Reddick are not players you put a franchise on.

Sometimes you have to develop the offense. Otherwise he is elite in defense and rebounding(both sides of the glass.)

I also agree on a full rebuild. But they don't want to rebuild, partly because of bad fan support and there is a great chance they move (if they do, hopefully we get the sonics back.)
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:55 pm
Blackfoot wrote:
32 wrote:Is Sanders a two-way player? I agree, he's an excellent piece, but you gotta be Mutumbo to be a shot-blocker worth building around

Sometimes you have to develop the offense. Otherwise he is elite in defense and rebounding(both sides of the glass.)

I also agree on a full rebuild. But they don't want to rebuild, partly because of bad fan support and there is a great chance they move (if they do, hopefully we get the sonics back.)

Too true, Seattle deserves a team. That fan base was great.

Are there any available players the Bucks can obtain that would make a difference? Does Al Jefferson help anyone's win column or is he just a stat stuffer? Can they convince Josh Smith that he, Sanders, Ellis, and Jennings are a worthy enough team to compete in the Leastern Conference?

Interesting point about Jarrett Jack. I'd rather have him than Brandon Jennings, straight up. But if Jennings can accept a 6th man role, it becomes a closer race. Jennings, Ellis, Redick... all 3 of those guys are someone you'd ideally want as a 3rd guard. I can't see those guys starting on a competitive team.

Here's a sexy idea: can the Warriors SOMEHOW swindle Sanders off the Bucks' roster? Milwaukee is starving for scorers; maybe they look hard at Harrison Barnes and a future 2nd for Larry Sanders? If that happens, can we find a stud SF for Lee?

Return to NBA Forum