Houston wants to trade Thomas Robinson

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:54 am
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--houston-rockets-trying-to-trade-thomas-robinson-to-free-up-cap-space-for-run-at-dwight-howard-215915027.html

Houston Rockets plan to trade Thomas Robinson to free up cap space for run at Dwight Howard

The Houston Rockets are determined to trade forward Thomas Robinson – the fifth pick in the 2012 NBA draft – to create salary-cap space for the pursuit of the Los Angeles Lakers' free-agent superstar Dwight Howard, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The Rockets have made clear to multiple rival teams that they plan to accept the best offer to move Robinson and eliminate his $3.52 million salary for the 2013-14 season.

Without the salary of Robinson and others, the Rockets will have the space to offer Howard a maximum deal starting at approximately $20.5 million a season.

Houston is competing mainly with Dallas – and possibly Golden State – to lure Howard once free agency commences on July 1. Howard has become increasingly intrigued with the Rockets as a possible destination, sources said. Houston's supporting cast, including James Harden and Chandler Parsons, is one of the reasons.

The Rockets are targeting teams with the cap space to absorb Robinson's contract. The Rockets are trying to cobble together a package that could include assets such as a trade exception, a draft pick or non-guaranteed contracts that they can be unloaded, sources said.

The Rockets are the second team to move him since he came out of Kansas considered one of the most prepared prospects in the class. The Rockets' coaching staff prefers forwards who can space the floor with their shooting ability but the 6-foot-10 Robinson is a more traditional back-to-the-basket power forward.

His $3.5 million salary most closely matches the money that the Rockets need to unload in order to help secure a maximum contract swap for Howard.

Robinson, 22, averaged 4.8 points and 4.5 rebounds playing a combined 70 games for the Rockets and Kings. Sacramento traded him to Houston in a package that included Francisco Garcia and Tyler Honeycutt for Patrick Patterson, Cole Aldrich, Toney Douglas and cash.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Think this situation could be a coup for us if the FO sees it and moves quickly to get it.

TRobinson has some development ahead of him, especially offensively, but already he is a very good rebounder and athlete. With Landry a chance to leave I'd get TRobinson now and not offer anything to Landry.

Fact that Rockets say they also offer a draft pick, another plus and item to grab. What we give in return I don't know, maybe a future 2nd rounder or whatever to make salaries work.

TRobinson would be great for the future of the team and add more stability and production on the bench.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:29 am
He could be, if he improves as expected, a great successor to Lee. I would be down for this, but only if we can't get Dwight. Dwight is the main prize, but Robinson might be a great consolation prize. I really liked the kid coming out of Kansas, and one of the reasons I wasn't sad we didn't grab him in the draft was the fact that we managed to get the player I wanted the most along with MKG.

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:35 pm
Tons of upside. Definitely try to snag him. And he can replace Lee once Lee's contract is up.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:45 pm
Definately up for grabs and I think the Rockets want to do the trading to setup for trying to get Dwight quick. TRobinson could definately be a great addition to the team and I think could be the ingredient to keep the team significant for a while yet.

Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:06 pm
Yeah, I agree. I think Robinson has plenty of potential and will be a good athletic PF off the bench for us. Hopefully the FO can work their magic again and make this happen.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:55 am
Heres my question:

Sacramento dumped him for salary, Houston wants to dump him for salary...

What's wrong with him?

What do they know that we don't? Smells like an Ike Diogu or Anthony Randolph type deal to me. Maybe I'm wrong; maybe he's got a ton of untapped skill and potential - God knows he's got the athleticism - but why have 2 teams deemed him expendable after only 1 total season? Why did he fall from #2 on the draft board to #5? Curious and curiouser.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:01 am
Houston only wants to dump him for Dwight Howard. Otherwise it's not happening.

And the Kings reason? They are stupid. Super simple.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:45 pm
Aite, I guess we'll see where he lands next year.

Usually, top 5 picks that can't secure a starting job on teams that are absolute garbage are red flags. Houston was a 7-seed, Sacramento was toast. Neither found him a role.

Lemme put it this way: would you trade Draymond Green for him? We know, in a potentials race, Thomas Robinson has all the tools to be a stud, but Green already has an NBA role. Whose more valuable?

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:51 pm
I'd trade Green for Robinson. Not even a question to me.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:39 pm
I'm not a guy who would trade for a potential, because like some wise guy said "Potential means you've done **** so far", but, in this case, I would pull the trigger on that trade.

Like I said, I liked him coming from college and I thought he would be much better than he was in his rookie season, though. So, I'd still be willing to give him a shot, and why not in Golden State...we need that position. And just in case, we sign some other, more experienced PF in FA, if we can.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:42 pm
Well, I'd probably make the trade too, but it's definitely "a question" to me. Robinson's PER is a pedestrian 10.9; Green's was lower in the regular season, but doubled to 14 in the playoffs. Classic case of athleticism vs instincts.

Robinson's got the imaginary ceiling. Green's got the resumé thus far.

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:02 pm
It wouldn't it be for Green, but I'd do it.

It would be for a draft pick from next year. They are clearing space to sign Dwight Howard. Otherwise they definitely want to keep T-Rob.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:41 am
I'm sure they want a 1st rounder for him. Ours won't likely be in the lottery. Do you see us as a viable option? I know Portland wants him bad.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:57 am
I didn't see much of TRobinson when he was in college, just two games including the championship game v Kentucky. I haven't seen any games of him in the nba, but I didn't think much of him from what I did see. He is young and seems to rebound well already so that is a plus. If Landry leaves, it'd be nice having as the backup PF, if he does do well.

I think a future 2nd rounder for him will do, as Houston is looking to trade him just to get rid of salary.

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:00 pm
Yeah, basically what I thought. Unless of course they get a bidding war for him.
Next

Return to Trades