Dwight Howard Considering the Warriors

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:55 am
Dwight has become a cancer to a team. The way he behaved in Orlando at the end there was disgraceful and the Lakers got worse with him. Two years ago I would have wanted him, but now he seems more a negative than addition.

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:05 pm
DHoward is a game changer regardless of his whiny/baby like attitude, he would be in the right situation here, Mark Jackson is a players coach, the team is laxed (rookies pranks) Bazemore does funny ish on the bench. Howard might like it here.

It will prob take Klay/Bogut to get him. Question of uncertainty is health, DHoward is generally always healthy, Bogut we generally have to cross our fingers. We know what he is capable of when healthy. But I would pull the trigger to get Howard.

Realistically, he is not coming here, it will be between Lakers and Rockets.

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:23 pm
warriorsstepup wrote:DHoward is a game changer regardless of his whiny/baby like attitude, he would be in the right situation here, Mark Jackson is a players coach, the team is laxed (rookies pranks) Bazemore does funny ish on the bench. Howard might like it here.

It will prob take Klay/Bogut to get him. Question of uncertainty is health, DHoward is generally always healthy, Bogut we generally have to cross our fingers. We know what he is capable of when healthy. But I would pull the trigger to get Howard.

+1

Exactly my feelings on this.

All Star
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:03 pm
Blackfoot wrote:
warriorsstepup wrote:DHoward is a game changer regardless of his whiny/baby like attitude, he would be in the right situation here, Mark Jackson is a players coach, the team is laxed (rookies pranks) Bazemore does funny ish on the bench. Howard might like it here.

+1

Exactly my feelings on this.

This is a first.

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:09 pm
I am definitely going to say my problem is I am really contradictory. When I look at a post I look for what I disagree with. I try to point out the things I agree with, but I mostly just want to say what I disagree with. It's my schtick.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:23 am
So, basically, it seems that more people here are in favor of bringing Dwight to the Bay? At least that's how it looks to me...and that's a good thing. With Dwight here, next year we are in the Western finals, and probably even the Finals.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:44 pm
I'm not gonna go into how I think Dwight destroys this team because it has been cleared up that he isn't particularly interested in the Warriors. So there's that.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:17 am
Yeah, I mean, obviously you're obligated to listen if Howard wants to come here AND if the Lakers are willing to play ball... But those are two extremely unlikely if's. The Lakers will not deal Howard to a Pacific Division rival and Howard seems much more interested in Atlanta/Texas.

Besides, Howard spurned this team before it became a powerful playoff threat. Acquiring him would cost several big pieces, including Bogut, Thompson, and possibly Barnes or Lee. Is Howard still interested if we lose a couple complimentary players who clearly make a huge difference. I'm sure he'd be fine coming if it were Bogut and prospects, but the Lakers aren't that desperate or stupid.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:05 am
The Warriors had not had great centre play since well.. (maybe 1st stint Chris Webber rookie year when Nellie played him at 5)

We've been stuck with stiffs like Foyle, Biedrins, Patrick O'Bryant (list can continue)

So what a joy was it trade deadline 2011 when we finally got our fingers on Andrew Bogut. Bogut ia the best centre we've had in the last 20 years (Dampier flashed signs but he was probably worst injury threat then Bogut been in Warriors university)

So if someone told me 2011 trade deadline that we could parlay Bogut & (role players) whilst keeping Curry for Dwight.. Well that is just crazy talk.

Allthough if we are gonna chase a guy like Dwight, I'd love to throw in David Lee & whatever it takes (With hope of keeping nucleaus of Barnes, Curry & Bogut) and have this Quasi Twin Towers Spurs 99 lineup of (The Admiral & Duncan=Dwight & Bogut) well that's the direction i'd head!!!

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:26 am
PAWNO wrote:The Warriors had not had great centre play since well.. (maybe 1st stint Chris Webber rookie year when Nellie played him at 5)

We've been stuck with stiffs like Foyle, Biedrins, Patrick O'Bryant (list can continue)

So what a joy was it trade deadline 2011 when we finally got our fingers on Andrew Bogut. Bogut ia the best centre we've had in the last 20 years (Dampier flashed signs but he was probably worst injury threat then Bogut been in Warriors university)

So if someone told me 2011 trade deadline that we could parlay Bogut & (role players) whilst keeping Curry for Dwight.. Well that is just crazy talk.

Allthough if we are gonna chase a guy like Dwight, I'd love to throw in David Lee & whatever it takes (With hope of keeping nucleaus of Barnes, Curry & Bogut) and have this Quasi Twin Towers Spurs 99 lineup of (The Admiral & Duncan=Dwight & Bogut) well that's the direction i'd head!!!

Would it be possible to keep bogut and Howard? Might sound like a joke, but I would love to see the warriors have 2 bigs starting to go with our 2 sharpshooters and slasher in Barnes. It would be a unique lineup that can give us plenty of flexabilities when we go to the bench (not to mention giving plenty of rotation for the bigs to go in and out to rest during the 2nd/3rd quarters).

I think Lee is a great player, but he is expandable if the team can somehow manage to resign Landry and have him as our six man. Trade Lee and Ezeli to the Lakers for Howard. We can have Bogut and Howard on the court to start. If we need more athleticism on defense, you can always rotate howard and bogut, and put Landry at the 4, or go small with Barnes at the 4. Plus, Howard gives the warriors insurance if Bogut gets hurt again.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:38 pm
Won't work. Teams know both Howard and Bogut can't shoot outside of 3 feet. It'd be the Spurs series all over again. Hedging the shooters, leaving remaining defenders to pack the lane, and daring Howard/Bogut to shoot from midrange. Kiss the pick-and-roll goodbye.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:37 pm
32 wrote:Won't work. Teams know both Howard and Bogut can't shoot outside of 3 feet. It'd be the Spurs series all over again. Hedging the shooters, leaving remaining defenders to pack the lane, and daring Howard/Bogut to shoot from midrange. Kiss the pick-and-roll goodbye.

You wouldn't need to worry about the outside 3ft shooting of Bogut & Howard.

They'd both clean glass and the perimeter defense would only need to be adequate considering we'd have exceptional interior defense.

I'd keep Barnes over Klay Thompson in this scenario. Something tells me that Barnes has a bigger ceiling & plus to make these deal work Klay Thompson needs to be included to help sell the Lakers on a former son of Lakers playing for the Purple Pride
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:40 pm
This is kind of a pipe dream anyways. Only way it's gonna happen is if Dwight is adamant he wants to play for the Warriors.

Can you name me anytime when the RedSox & Yankees made a franchise player trade? How about the Jets/Patriots or the Steelers & Ravens.

The basic logic is teams don't wanna prop up a division rival (scared of the backlash when they have to answer to fanbase on the lopsided trade each divisional game)

Dwight could say to Lakers (I wanna go to the Warriors, You can get David Lee & Klay Thompson or else I'm gonna go to the Rockets and you get nada)
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:42 am
Small ball beats twin towers, when the bigs can't shoot.

If Bogut and Howard were on the floor together, you'd see a lotta teams playing wings at the 4 (putting Howard on the arc) and running pick-and-rolls on Bogut. And, again, that lineup has 2 guys who can't score outside the paint or at the free throw line.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:02 pm
Its pretty simple..to get Howard, the Warriors will have to give up some key pieces whether its Barnes, Thompson or Bogut. With the amount of money he'll command ($20M), it would take all three to match that figure.

Dwight Howard is a cancer. He's more concerned about what he gets than what needs to be done to win game. I remember when Orlando was a playoff team in a couple of years back and he still complained that he wasn't getting the ball enough and that he wasn't a focal point of the offense. Reports then came out of him wanted Van Gundy fired, which the Magic eventually did. He got Mike Brown fired and he was calling for D'Antoni to get the axe because he's too dumb to run the pick and roll, even though Kobe endorsed D'Antoni. Take away his size and athleticism and he isn't much of a basketball player. He's not a passer, shooter and can't put the ball on the floor. He has no offense besides dunking the ball. He's a horrific free throw shooter at 49%, yet he wants the ball every play. He's a bigger Tyson Chandler, who's value should be defense and on the boards, but thats not enough for him.

The one thing this team has is chemistry. Everyone gets a long and they play well together as a team. Howard would come in and just ruin that. He doesn't know how to play second fiddle and doesn't want to. On this team, he would definitely be #2 behind Curry.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball