Are Warriors better without David Lee?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes


All Star
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 1:57 am
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:41 am
warriorsstepup wrote:
Blackfoot wrote:
warriorsstepup wrote:Why I don't get too much into advanced stats. Don't know any sf that has lead their team to NBA champs the last 10 years, Bron is in his class of his own, who can play any position on the floor.

Last 24 years, only NBA finals MVP that played SF, Bron, and Paul Pierce.


It's important to note it's the stretch SF that's the most important position, not just any SF. Which is where I should have clarified. That's my bad. Still, it's the most important.


Like I said only Bron and Pierce the only finals MVP the last 24 years, that is how I know the SF is not the most important as you claim.



I guess I just disagree with a method of judging importance of a position by finals MVP considering how circumstantial that reasoning is.

Important to note again that there aren't a lot of great SF's, but a top tier SF is the best position to have a top tier player.

All Star
Posts: 3056
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:03 am
Location: san jose
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:19 pm
Blackfoot wrote:
warriorsstepup wrote:
Blackfoot wrote:
warriorsstepup wrote:Why I don't get too much into advanced stats. Don't know any sf that has lead their team to NBA champs the last 10 years, Bron is in his class of his own, who can play any position on the floor.

Last 24 years, only NBA finals MVP that played SF, Bron, and Paul Pierce.


It's important to note it's the stretch SF that's the most important position, not just any SF. Which is where I should have clarified. That's my bad. Still, it's the most important.


Like I said only Bron and Pierce the only finals MVP the last 24 years, that is how I know the SF is not the most important as you claim.



I guess I just disagree with a method of judging importance of a position by finals MVP considering how circumstantial that reasoning is.

Important to note again that there aren't a lot of great SF's, but a top tier SF is the best position to have a top tier player.


Finals MVP, is generally the most impac-tful player, Most Valuable Player, that is pretty self explanatory, and as i mentioned not many SF MVPs.

All Star
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 1:57 am
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:32 pm
Finals MVP tells you the best player in a series (sometimes.) That doesn't tell you the most impactful position on the floor.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3621
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:05 am
Location: Oakland California
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:35 pm
Yo, BF and WSU. Won't yall just fuk eachother and get it over with.

Pretty strong bond you two are building.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Image
Image
Image

Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21362
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:35 am
Yea, keep Lee unless we can get Love for him.

As for SF being the most important position, don't agree. All positions are important, but to me, PG and C are most important. That is because PG runs the show and Centers that are of proper size and skill are the hardest thing to find. Took almost forty years for the team to get one in fact.
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya

Rookie
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:29 pm
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:11 pm
LeBron is not a traditional SF.

He is Point PF who can play 1-4 and dominate. He is special and no other player outside of Magic Johnson has his skill set.

All Star
Posts: 2803
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:46 pm
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:00 pm
migya wrote:Yea, keep Lee unless we can get Love for him.

As for SF being the most important position, don't agree. All positions are important, but to me, PG and C are most important. That is because PG runs the show and Centers that are of proper size and skill are the hardest thing to find. Took almost forty years for the team to get one in fact.


You are 100% correct!
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13507
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:02 pm
JebronLames wrote:LeBron is not a traditional SF.

He is Point PF who can play 1-4 and dominate. He is special and no other player outside of Magic Johnson has his skill set.

And even Magic didn't have a jumper like LeBron.

LBJ may go down as the greatest to ever suit up. He cannot be used for or held to any rule of thumb. It's why people who claim the Heat "proved" that small ball can win titles are completely full of sh*t.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image

All Star
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 1:57 am
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:54 pm
I don't think going small ball for us is that bad if Bogut is manning the five.

Barnes is a better defender than Lee and our rebounding is still outrebounding everyone with Barnes at the four.

Curry-Jack-Klay-Lee-Bogut

vs.

Curry-Jack-Klay-Barnes-Bogut

In the traditional sense this line up is smaller, but Barnes is better at defending the four spot than Lee and we have Bogut sucking up all the rebounds. I think the top line up is better because Lee is a better player than Barnes right now, but us going small isn't really going small in my opinion.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3621
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:05 am
Location: Oakland California
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:31 pm
Blackfoot wrote:I don't think going small ball for us is that bad if Bogut is manning the five.

Barnes is a better defender than Lee and our rebounding is still outrebounding everyone with Barnes at the four.

Curry-Jack-Klay-Lee-Bogut

vs.

Curry-Jack-Klay-Barnes-Bogut

In the traditional sense this line up is smaller, but Barnes is better at defending the four spot than Lee and we have Bogut sucking up all the rebounds. I think the top line up is better because Lee is a better player than Barnes right now, but us going small isn't really going small in my opinion.


Can't assume that Barnes defends better at the 4. No statistical evidence for that. Barnes is simply not big enough.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Image
Image
Image

Image

All Star
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 1:57 am
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:58 pm
You are right. That there isn't enough of a sample size, but in the small sample we have Barnes is better at defending the four position than lee. Probably because of his athleticism.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13507
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:40 pm
I'm not saying it doesn't work in small spurts as a change-up every now and then. But teams who build their rosters around the concept of going small all game long are being set-up to fail. It's why Don Nelson is the most overrated coach of all time.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21362
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:48 am
Barnes is the SF and that's his best position. The team is finally big, as well as skilled, and succeeding and the talk is of changes. No changes are needed, not after the performance the team just had. Helath is all that is in the way of the team getting better and being a real contender.
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3621
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:05 am
Location: Oakland California
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:33 am
Blackfoot wrote:You are right. That there isn't enough of a sample size, but in the small sample we have Barnes is better at defending the four position than lee. Probably because of his athleticism.


If I remember correctly, one of the 2 games that he opened at the 4 was against Wilson Chandler, and the other was against McGee. The one against Chandler doesn't really count because both teams went small. We won that game and the next game Denver decided to go big. Karl started Koufos and McGee, and we lost that game. So, with that small sample size, you could argue that Barnes was WORST than Lee defensively.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Image
Image
Image

Image

All Star
Posts: 3056
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:03 am
Location: san jose
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:50 pm
No team playing small ball is in the playoff right now, that should be enough data.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests