Dwight Howard Considering the Warriors

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:59 pm
http://www.mercurynews.com/warriors/ci_23309678/report-dwight-howard-would-consider-joining-warriors

Not sure this would be a good idea for the Warriors even it was Dwight's first choice. The only way for the Warriors to get Howard would be in a sign and trade. Howard is a very nice player but the Laker's will be overvaluing him in any sign and trade deal. The only packages that I see the Lakers would want would be:

Klay Thompson, Draymond Green and Andrew Bogut

or

Klay Thompson, Harrison Barnes and Andris Biedrins

I would say no to either.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:07 pm
I would say yes for the first option.

I love Draymond, great character, tremendous motor guy, but he is a rotation player at best until he improves drastically on offense.
Andrew Bogut would be replaced by Dwight. What more do you need than that. As much as I don't like Dwight, he is a huge upgrade, and hopefully, this little adventure in LA made him think a little bit and realize some things.
And the most interesting part, Klay. With Rush coming back, we would still have a good perimeter defender and a good shooter, though, Klay is better shooter than Rush, but I think Rush is better defender. With some improvement from Bazemore, that could work. Also, if we keep Jack he will see minutes, and Curry will be SG.

So, yes, I'd do it.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:27 pm
If anyone wanted my professional opinion, I say we stay away from it.

Let's grow from within. If we want stars, let's try and grow them. We have potential home run hitters in Barnes and Thompson and I'd really hate to see it if we traded them and they blossomed into stars somewhere else.

Im waiting for Lacob, Myers, or West to come out and nip this thing in the bud.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:15 pm
We can have our cake and eat it too. We can get Dwight and keep our young players.

Dwight is a free agent and a sign and trade gives the Lakers little leverage.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:29 pm
Blackfoot wrote:We can have our cake and eat it too. We can get Dwight and keep our young players.

Dwight is a free agent and a sign and trade gives the Lakers little leverage.

... I just really don't like d12, man. But hey, if we can keep Klay, Barnes, and Curry, and still manage to get him I guess I'd be on board.

All Star
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:59 pm
We are already built perfectly for Dwight. We'd be a contender with him, no doubt about it.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:39 pm
Via Rich Bucher's sulia string

Source: Report that Lakers' center and pending free agent Dwight Howard has composed a list of preferred teams is
"premature." The reported list: Lakers, Rockets, Mavericks, Hawks and Warriors. Asked specifically about the Warriors being one of the teams Howard would be willing to join, the source said the only connection between the player and team was when the Warriors expressed interest in Howard after he made it clear he wanted out of Orlando a year ago. Despite interest from his home-town team, the Hawks, sources have repeatedly said Howard, like many players, are wary of the demands and distractions of playing where they grew up. The Warriors and Rockets also were not on Howard's list at that time. The three teams that were: Brooklyn, Dallas and the Lakers. Since then, several sources have said, Howard has softened on his position regarding the Rockets but there's been no indication anything has changed regarding the Warriors or Hawks.

I ain't even mad.

All Star
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:11 am
Shame, but oh well. It's not that big of a deal because we have a good core right now.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:30 am
Fraaaaaankly I think GSW has all the leverage, not Dwight. Think about it -- the Lakers (a team he wanted to play for ) had Kobe Gasol AND Dwight....and barely squeak into the playoffs? He loses a lot of clout for not being able to be a big enough difference maker or teammate to bring the Lakers success. A big part of the Warriors success is to due to team chemistry and cohesion - don't know if Dwight would be the best fit for that. Still, do you say no to possibly attaining Dwight Howard? It's dependent on how confident the Warriors are of Bogut's health, and also I think the deal would have to be a no-brainer to do it. Warriors have some leverage. They made the 6th seed, have good team chemistry, and have a young core with plenty of room to grow. They're in a good spot.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:50 am
I don't like Dwight. He's a prima donna and highly overrated. He doesn't play well with his back against the basket and he plays a lot smaller than people think he is. When the lakers signed him, they thought they were getting SHaq part II. But we all can see that he's anything but.

People discount Jerry Wests impact. Is it a coincidence that when Jerry was in LA, he helped build Showtime and then created a dynasty when he signed Kobe and Shaq. He joins the Warriors in 2011 in an advisory role, and we make the Western Conference semis 2 years later? West is an amazing judge of talent and was always on top of his game when he was a GM.

Jim Buss made most of the moves in terms of getting Dwight, and obviously it failed big time.

All Star
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:59 am
I think people are underrating Dwight. He carried a team to the finals that's core was Nelson, Hedo, and Reddick.

We can all agree Dwight's a ****, a baby, a primma donna, but he is absolutely the fourth best player in the league.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:28 am
I would love to have Dwight but not willing to lose Steph, Klay or Barnes

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:14 am
Guybrush wrote:I would say yes for the first option.

I love Draymond, great character, tremendous motor guy, but he is a rotation player at best until he improves drastically on offense.
Andrew Bogut would be replaced by Dwight. What more do you need than that. As much as I don't like Dwight, he is a huge upgrade, and hopefully, this little adventure in LA made him think a little bit and realize some things.
And the most interesting part, Klay. With Rush coming back, we would still have a good perimeter defender and a good shooter, though, Klay is better shooter than Rush, but I think Rush is better defender. With some improvement from Bazemore, that could work. Also, if we keep Jack he will see minutes, and Curry will be SG.

So, yes, I'd do it.

I agree with your assessment, 100%!

Also, I would match up the new Big Three of Curry, Howard, and Barnes along with really good role players and an up-and-coming coach vs any team in the league.

Memo to Lacob, Myers, Warrior front office staff: Please get this deal done.
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:15 pm
Here we go again... Every goddamn off season!!! F*ck off Dwight! Seriously, didn't he say the exact same thing last year?

I'd rather have Klay + Bogut.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:06 pm
Bogut is bigger and more intimidating than Dwight though. Howard's blocks go out of bounds. Would miss the Big Aussie.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball