Jarrett Jack wants to come back.

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:39 pm
If a team is built correctly am not buying that one player can cause a team to lose, unless that is the teams superstar and they having an off night, even then, thats why others help carry.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:59 pm
I wouldn't discount the usefulness of stats, but I agree that stats shouldn't be the gold standard of judging things. I admit that I find Blackfoot annoying sometimes because all he does is use stats. It often contradicts my first impressions, but it definitely keeps me on my toes.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:00 pm
That might've came out wrong.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

All Star
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:27 pm
Not bashing those that use stats, am just saying generally, if you need stats to tell you Currys effect on the game, or Boguts' defensive presence then. Stats are helpful, but to me advance stat goes overboard. Too many variables and too many conditions, I watch the game, I watch who is in playing against who, I see match-ups, screens, I see effort, smarts, etc etc.

Jarret Jack is key in this series, just hope he comes out again and plays solid because it is needed.

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:33 pm
warriorsstepup wrote:Not bashing those that use stats, am just saying generally, if you need stats to tell you Currys effect on the game, or Boguts' defensive presence then. Stats are helpful, but to me advance stat goes overboard. Too many variables and too many conditions, I watch the game, I watch who is in playing against who, I see match-ups, screens, I see effort, smarts, etc etc.

Jarret Jack is key in this series, just hope he comes out again and plays solid because it is needed.

Synergy stats have stats for each specific scenario.

Pick and roll PPP, Post up's, Isolation, any particular jump shot in any particular spot.

All Star
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:44 pm
Blackfoot wrote:
warriorsstepup wrote:Not bashing those that use stats, am just saying generally, if you need stats to tell you Currys effect on the game, or Boguts' defensive presence then. Stats are helpful, but to me advance stat goes overboard. Too many variables and too many conditions, I watch the game, I watch who is in playing against who, I see match-ups, screens, I see effort, smarts, etc etc.

Pick and roll PPP, Post up's, Isolation, any particular jump shot in any particular spot.

That is excessive, doesn't tell you match-ups, I don't need to that that far to know what works/what doesn't. Its add use, yes, I am just saying personally I can read the game and understand when I watch to know what works and doesnt.

All Star
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:58 pm
warriorsstepup wrote:
Blackfoot wrote:

That is excessive, doesn't tell you match-ups, I don't need to that that far to know what works/what doesn't. Its add use, yes, I am just saying personally I can read the game and understand when I watch to know what works and doesnt.

They have some for match ups too.

And it's not excessive at least if you want to know all this stuff. It might be excessive, just depends on how much time you want to look intoit.

It's why all GM's use synergy. Bosh stopped posting up on the right side because of synergy stats. (or was it the left)

Durant uses them, he hired his own anayltics guy. Same with Lebron.

It's all really useful.

All Star
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:55 pm
Blackfoot wrote:
warriorsstepup wrote:
Blackfoot wrote:

They have some for match ups too.

And it's not excessive at least if you want to know all this stuff. It might be excessive, just depends on how much time you want to look intoit.

It's why all GM's use synergy. Bosh stopped posting up on the right side because of synergy stats. (or was it the left)

Durant uses them, he hired his own anayltics guy. Same with Lebron.

It's all really useful.

Not saying they not useful, am just saying is just extra for me.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:31 pm
Its not whether Jack is good or bad, although that seems to be the debate here. Its about this team and if its willing to, or should, pay the luxury tax (or make it more difficult to get under it) by re-signing Jack to an extension with a raise. Jack has been valuable to this team, but its what he does to make himself valuable that concerns me and thats by taking a lot of shots. Shots that should goto the developing of Harrison Barnes or other key players. Discount it or not, there is a reason why Jack has played for 5 different teams (you can say 7 if you count Toronto and New Orleans twice) in his 7 year career and its not because he was efficient or a star point guard. His value should be defense and leadership off the bench, but very much like Monta, he's a lazy defender who gets beat and just stands there. Like I said, a combo guard that can score are a dime a dozen and could be had for much cheaper than what Jack will be asking for. Thats not to say Jack isn't worth $7M to a team out there, just not to this team.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:49 am
Jack has been big most of the season, I just see him as somewhat a ballhog, but he can be effective.

I do think that there are other combo guards available that will be as effective as he is for half the money. The FO really should look into it before even offering Jack a contract.

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:06 am
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:17 pm
I think we've all acknowledged that Jack had a career year in a contract season.

The question is: do we panic, resign him for something laughable, and then fry him for regressing (like most sane people know he will) or do we let him test the market and not give in above a certain point?

Those of you claiming we need Jack back no matter what are reminding me of the same people who wanted Dampier back after a great contract season. Jack's not above 40% on threes in his career; he's at 35%. He put up superior PER, eFG%, offensive rating, usage, assist %, and win shares this year than his career norms display. Do you guys honestly think he'll keep that up after he gets paid?
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:41 pm
This is an honest concern, 32. Jack could very much regress. You aren't wrong.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:04 am
I say let him test the market. I can't see the teams that need a starting PG and would want him. Think he isn't worth more than the money he is on now, like 5 million no more. I'd resign him for that but for no more than three years. He is about 29 years old if I remember right.

What other PGs are on the market this offseason?

migya make the ring fall on ya
Previous

Return to Warriors Basketball