Mark Jackson is sloooowwwwww to react

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:12 pm
I don't know what it is. What is it like every 3 games M Jax decides to have a brain fart? When the Spurs are making their run, why is he putting in scrubs? When Curry is getting unbelievably torched on D, why not give him a rest? It's like he doesn't recognize what the hell is going on on the court and what's working and what's not working. The Warriors have lost games not because the other team played unbelievably well, but because M Jax continues to have games where he's out-coached, slow to react and adjust, and makes BAFFLING lineup changes or leaves players on the bench too long.

game 5

Landry only 25 min
Bogut only 18 min
Curry 4-15 and -21 , hobbled, yet he keeps him out there way too long

Don't mind losing as much as I mind when "professional" coaches have lapses where they're retarded and shoot themselves in the foot.

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:48 pm
Basketball is a game of chess, a game of adjustments, line-ups. Too many variables, too many moves to make and counter. I understand Lee is still injured, and Curry is not 100%, but there have been a couple of times that I didn't like the combo of players on the floor.

First there has to be a legit 7'0 (meaning Bogut,Ezeli,Beans) when you playing the spurs, if not it a free lane to attack the rim.

Second, Mjax needs to figure out how to get Curry or Klay out of their present match ups, their last few games they have had issues producing, and we can't have that. MJax needs to dictate the line-ups he puts out there and in turn have the spurs do the adjustments.

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:06 pm
I just want to say, did you guys that offensive possession with no center or PF on the floor?

Either Barnes or Richy J played center. Not sure. lol

We scored with it, fouled them, put Bogut it in.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:32 am
Saw that ultra small lineup up there. Think Jefferson was playing the 5.

Anyways, key points for mark Jackson:

1) steph is injured and not 100% so don't play him so many minutes. If mj hasn't learned by now (especially after the collapse of game 1), is that steph doesn't have the engine of players like Kenneth faired or motor guys. Steph is a shooter and mj is doin him and our team a disservice by making him play so many minutes. If steph isn't scoring, he's not worth having in the lineup, because he is such a defensive liability. His dad Dell was a shooter who was used to play 20-25 minutes a game to keep him fresh to hit big shots. A hobbled steph needs to b used the same way. Keep him fresh so that he can shoot. Don't let him get abused on defense trying to run through screens etc. that takes away from his scoring ability.

2) isolate Parker on defense. Make sure whoever Parker is guarding gets the chance to post him up and abuse him. Jack is bigger and stronger and is able to take Parker both off the dribble and posting up. Barnes and klay both are able to dominate Parker. We have to make sure that Parker is the one spur that is shown as the weak link on defense and that will in turn tire him out and slow SA's offense.

3) play beans more. In his short minutes, Andris has been a shot blocking threat. He's been able to be the lengthy rim protector that bogut is not anymore. Boguts quickness is limited, which is why he doesn't block many shots anymore and has such huge defensive rebound numbers, cuz he simply doesn't challenge shots at the rim and plays positional rebounding instead. Andris will improve our paint defense.

4) klay Thompson needs to take it to the whole more. He has shown in this series that he is able to create off the dribble. But many times I've seen klay settle for jump shots. He's a legit 6'7" guy that needs to drive to the paint and look for contact. That will open his perimeter game. Right now he's now able to get his shot to fall cuz
He's being smothered defensively. SA is daring him to drive.

5) draymond needs more minutes. He is a great team player, able to facilitate plays and play solid basketball on both ends.

6) I like that mj went to mini zones throughout the game keep doing that to force sa to shoot 3s when they don't want to.
Role Player
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:23 am
I think all these are issues that Jackson probably won't or can't figure out. Popovich has him befuddled. This is where Malone has to step in and come up with a game plan for the next game.

All Star
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:13 pm
2. We are already doing that.

3. No.

4. Yes, it's a knock on him that he hasn't taken any free throws this series. He needs to draw fouls.

5. Yes, but he needs to stop touching the ball on offense. I know he has been great this postseason, but that's a fluke, he will regress, and he is a detriment on offense when he tries to do something.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:33 pm
Blackfoot wrote:2. We are already doing that.

3. No.

4. Yes, it's a knock on him that he hasn't taken any free throws this series. He needs to draw fouls.

5. Yes, but he needs to stop touching the ball on offense. I know he has been great this postseason, but that's a fluke, he will regress, and he is a detriment on offense when he tries to do something.

The only thing Green should do is crash the boards, set screens, and catch and shoot. He should never try to take it to the rack. At least not yet.

To Curry's and Thompson's credit, they get held and their jersey get pulled every time we run horns or run staggered screens.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:31 pm
Here's drays postseason stats:

MPG FG%. 3P% FT% PTS RPG APG BPG SPG PF +/- TO
19.5 45.3. 40.9 76.5 6.4 4.5 1.6 0.9 0.6 3.00 10.00 1.00

Kids shooting 41% from 3 and is averaging a +10 +/- in the postseason.

Don't undervalue his contributions. He does all the little things for this team. His game is very well rounded and he makes the warriors better as a whole. My point is that he needs more minutes.

All Star
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:40 pm
Draymond's offense is awful and I prefer him not touching the ball to shoot. Any shot he takes from the field unless it's on a cut for a lay up is probably the worst shot we can get, despite what the playoffs say.

I am all about expected values. I can take a miss, as long it's one of the better shots we can get.

All Star
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:09 pm
Any time you lose a coach needs to make adjustment.

Taigo Splitter is providing them with size, although he hasn't scored much, teamed up with Duncan gives them size that we did not counter last game. Bogut played 19:32 Mins, Ezeli palyed 7:10, Beans 2:10. That is an obvious and easy fix, you send as much fresh body at Timmy, including Beans, who played well in the few minutes he did.

I like the idea of attacking Parker.

I also like the idea of Green getting more PT, he has really stepped up major during the playoffs, and hit some big shoots, love the intensity he brings while on the court, this is not regular season this is the playoffs, players stepup.

Now Mjax and comp. need to find a plan to get Klay open, the way to do that is possibly change line-ups so Kawhi is not on him, because he seems to be giving issues for Klay.

Bogut/ Duncan
Lee (Landry/Splitter
Barnes/Parker
Klay/ Kawhi
Curry/ Green

The obvious mismatch on the defensive end is the Barnes/Parker, or the Barnes/Green, or Barnes/Bonner line-up. If Barnes/Kawhi match up then that frees up Klay. So this is what coach Pop has done switched things around, warriors need to counter.

As it stands right now the rookie Barnes is our most favorable match-up, specially with Curry not a 100%, and no Lee.

We also need a 100% Curry mentally, physically it seems as if he wont be 100% because of that ankle. The turnovers he caused were timely and costly, and his defense was horrid, many times Parker/Green drove right past him, or was watching them shoot wide open threes. Just hope he feels better because his ability is what has helped carry us.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:27 pm
Mark Jackson great year but probably one of the worst performances vs the Spurs. Thoroughly out-coached and in a way, sabotaged the team with his small ball gimmicks. Hopefully he learns from this for next year. Warriors were down only 3 before he decided to bring hobbled Curry back into the game. Curry was a -19 (next closest warriors was -8) and again a huge liability on D.

sux to lose but future is bright

All Star
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:07 am
Not really anything you can do when your best big man is hurt. Going small made sense.

And being outcouched by Popovich is just one of those things. Not really a knock on any coach that happens too.

All Star
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:46 pm
Warriors better get an assistant that will focus on details, the lack of perimeter defense by Curry, and Jack was unacceptable.

The rotations at certain point in the game was unaceptable. Game 1, the prime example, yes, Klay fouled out at around the 4 minute, but one player can alter a 16 point lead in such short time period. Thats when Mark Jackson decided to go small the entire time, with Draymond Green playing Center, wtf ? Lane open like bowling, spurs drove like andretti, Parker, Ginobli, you just don't break down like that.

Pop is a great coach, obviously, he adjusted in game 3, placed Kawhi on Klay, shutting him down the rest of the series, MJ couldn't counter. Green on Curry, Curry was injured should have limited some of his minutes. Too late.

Game 6, should've played Lee more, took him out after we had our run, which he was crucial in, never came back, I know he was injured but he seemed ok out there, unless there is something we don't know.

Back to the perimeter defense, how many times did we see the spurs find wide open shooter, while warriors defense was looking at the spur player drive and kick to wide open players, this was chronicled during the season. The reason we did so well with Nuggets the were unable to stretch the floor and shoot the 3, Gallanari injury also worked in our favor.

Yes, I am nit picking, I am also aware that we had major obstacles to deal with concerning injuries, but some of the issues had nothing to do with injuries, more with player discipline, and coach adjustment.

I like Mark Jackson, he brings a certain chemistry to the team, that would be hard to replace, all am saying he needs to tighten things up a little more, and make better adjustment, and have the team play better perimeter defense.

All Star
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:58 pm
Perimeter defense during the season was great, one series doesn't change that. I am also willing to say curry played like **** defensively because of his ankles.

Jackson adjusted multiple times, I am not going to go through his adjustments, but Popovich made better adjustments.

I think we all need to realize outcoaching or outadjusting Popovich is not going to happen. The suggestions we throw out there of what Mark Jackson should have done would probably have not worked because Popovich would have been better no matter what. Pop is on another level.

Mark Jackon's defensive system is the only reason why Jack and Curry are net positive defenders, above average. His system is perfect for them, especially Curry. A six game sample doesn't change that. Our perimeter defense was an upper echelon defense for the entire year.

We finished 13th in defensive efficiency and with Bogut maybe being back for the full year next year we are probably a top ten defensive team next year.

It would be like saying the Grizzlies pick and roll defense is awful because it played awful vs the Spurs.

All Star
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:27 pm
One series ? you must not remember earlier in the season during January/February when this issue was documented, not just this series. Lack of perimeter shooting had been an issue.

We lost game one because of coaching plain and simple, you don't lose a 16 point, please no excuses for that.

He is the coach, he didn't just get out coached the after game 1 and 2, Pop ran laps on him. The infusion of small ball just because it worked against Nuggets doesn't mean it will work against Spurs, specially after Splitter came back which changed the game.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball