To the basketball ignorant Klay Thompson haters

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:43 am
I am mainly speaking about other forums / blogs, etc. There's a crowd out there who likes to harp on Klay for whatever. They appear to be married to their old opinion of him -- when he hit a couple slumps through the year and some inconsistent play. "Klank" and "bonehead" are just a couple nicknames they've concocted. But is there any merit to it? That's the real question. In my opinion: No. Sure, he's been inconsistent --- shooting-wise -- but that's to be expected from young, 2nd year players. But let's see 16ppg and a respectable FG% and 3PT%. It doesn't add up to the nickname "Klank." Essentially overreaction and hyperbole. But if you're married to an old opinion, what are you to do? People don't like to be wrong, especially some Warrior fans on other sites. So they look for ways to keep supporting that opinion.

What I hope game 1 vs the Spurs illustrates to Warrior fans everywhere, is that Klay Thompson truly is an important piece to this team's success. He didn't score 40+ like Curry, but guess what....... +16 while h was on the floor. When he fouled out, Spurs and Tony Parker went on a huge run. That's what I think people are overlooking. The guy contributes positive things to this team, and has all year, even when his shot is off and even if people don't notice it. He has subtle ways of helping the team with his basketball IQ. Whether it's moving without the ball, playing help D, etc. He has worked to become one of the best defenders on the team -- something nobody banked on when he was drafted. He spreads the floor, etc. I feel when he gets a lot of touches, the Warriors do better. It sure beats the J. Jack iso hero ball we've seen far too often at the end of games.

We already have a Klay Thompson appreciation thread, but I think his play goes unrecognized to some GSW fans around the web who think just because he misses a couple shots, he's having a bad game. Basketball isn't just about scoring but if you are a part of the winning solution or a part of the losing solution.
Last edited by rockyBeli on Tue May 07, 2013 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:48 am
Outside of Bogut he is our best defensive player.
Rookie
Poster Credit: 4
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:40 am
People are jealous because Klay looks like the superior humanoid aliens from Prometheus.

Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:05 am
gaga_warioz wrote:People are jealous because Klay looks like the superior humanoid aliens from Prometheus.

But the real question is, why did Klay Thompson (The Engineer) want to kill his children? I mean, if he created humans and life on this planet (along with many other creatures including the Xenomorphs), why were they planning on sending that black ooze to Earth to destroy us all?

On a real note - Klay Thompson's nickname from here on out is "The Engineer"
Role Player
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:53 am
I've argued against Klay, not because I don't like him, but some would preach that he's this star quality type player. I still don't believe he is, but on this team, he doesn't have to be, which is fine. My biggest concern is his game is redundant of Curry's. Both are only as effective on the offensive end when their jumpers are falling. As the San Antonio game proved last night, when the jumpers aren't falling, this is a very beatable team. They shot themselves out of the game in the fourth quarter and allowed the Spurs to take them to overtime. At times like that, they need a guy on the floor that can drive to the rim on a consistent basis to either get a layup/dunk or draw a foul to shift the momentum. Currently, they don't have a player like that. 10 of Klay's 15 shot attempts last night were jumpers. Now that would be great if he was playing with a point guard like Derrick Rose or Russell Westbrook, 2 guys can attack the rim at will, but Curry took 35 shots last night and 29 of them were jump shots. With these two, they lack a balanced attack and even more so without David Lee. They need a slasher type player, especially against teams like San Antonio who like to slow it down.

I love Curry and Klay as players. As a tandem....not so much
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:57 am
We are past the discussion regarding Klay's defense. Some see the advanced numbers as a barometer of his success, some see the big nights coming from his assignment as a sign of weakness. I'm not interested in re-opening that discussion, as it will no doubt inevitably lead to another agree-to-disagree situation. In my opinion, Klay is neither a defensive liability nor a lock-down defender. I prefer him guarding people over Curry (who is an average/poor defender), but I don't think he's a better wing defender than guys like Brandon Rush, Draymond Green, or Kent Bazemore. And that's all I have to say about that aspect of Thompson's game.

But addressing the original post by rocky, I must detail why some of us are disappointed (not necessarily mad) at Klay Thompson:

Last night, the Spurs proved to me that they are a changed team. While their collective defense insofar as rotating, calling out screens, switching, funneling, closing out... it's all still very sound, as Popp would demand, but as far as having those pesky, physical, individual lock-down wing defenders, ala the mid 2000's... Honestly, I don't see that anymore. The Spurs used to have 3 guys on any given night that could contain the perimeter, while Duncan would sew up the interior. It's how they got so many teams to score below 90 on so many occasions. But last night, I saw only one lock-down defender in San Antonio: Kawhi Leonard.

And Kawhi Leonard cannot guard two people at once.

In the first half, Klay Thompson got off. He paced our team in scoring and gave the Warriors an efficient alternative option to Curry, who was starting off cold as per usual. In the 3rd quarter, Curry locked in; 22 of his then-38 points came in the 3rd quarter. The Warriors were skunking the Spurs, led by a one-two punch of Thompson and Curry.

And then what happened?

Klay Thompson fouled out. And the Spurs stopped putting Danny Green on Steph Curry and switched him with Kawhi Leonard. Green took Jack, and every other Warrior (with Lee and Thompson out) couldn't fight through San Antonio's team defense. It's too elite and always has been in the Duncan/Popp era. The Spurs lockdown defender, who was previously guarding Thompson, relegated to the only remaining scoring threat on Golden State.

And then what happened?

The Warriors couldn't score. To the tune of a 15-0 run in the final 5 minutes of regulation. The Warriors went from being up 18 to being in a one possession game ALL in the wake of Thompson fouling out.

And, in the end, the Spurs won the game by 2 points. On a wide-open three-pointer by Manu Ginobli that either Harrison Barnes or Jarrett Jack screwed the pooch on. If Thompson is in (admittedly, one of the team's 5 best perimeter defenders), does that defensive breakdown occur?

I'm not saying that I'm putting the loss on Thompson. Or that the Warriors win with him in the game. Or that the Spurs didn't claw their way back. I'm saying, the game went to overtime twice and with the team already exposing the loss of Lee, they were without 2 of their top 3 scorers, allowing the Spurs to put whoever they wanted on Curry with no fear of anyone else making them pay, because Thompson lost his head in a BIG game. A big, WINNABLE game.

Curry scored 38 points in the first 3 quarters. He scored 6 in the last 3 quarters. And 2 of those periods, Thompson was on the bench and the defense was swarming SC30.

There's no hatred of Klay Thompson, I don't undervalue him in the least. On the contrary, I think he's SO important to this team that his loss was an obstacle the team couldn't overcome. Bottom line, this game does not go into overtime AT ALL if Klay Thompson is pulling Kawhi Leonard off Curry. No question. Against Danny Green, Curry got off. Against Kawhi Leonard, Curry shut down. It's simple arithmetic.

In the wake of a game that saw Thompson make two boneheaded fouls that disqualified him from a contest that only needed 1 extra point or 1 extra stop to give the Warriors a victory... there should be NOBODY here tooting Thompson's horn for any reason.

I hope he comes back motivated and smart because he owes this team for leaving them hanging last night.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:24 pm
I am not going to go heavy into this, but by DRAPM Curry is an asset defensively, so above average. Klay is great. Shows up in the other teams perimeter scorers statline more often than not. Some players having good games don't change that.
Rookie
Poster Credit: 4
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:32 pm
JREED wrote:But the real question is, why did Klay Thompson (The Engineer) want to kill his children? I mean, if he created humans and life on this planet (along with many other creatures including the Xenomorphs), why were they planning on sending that black ooze to Earth to destroy us all?

On a real note - Klay Thompson's nickname from here on out is "The Engineer"

I don't have answers but I am rewatching the movie soon.

That would be really cool if the Engineer nickname picked up :D
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:34 pm
Yeah I'm not saying Klay is Tony Allen or some all-NBA defender, nor do I think that any player is above criticism. My thing is I don't think the criticism of his game has been all that accurate and he's become the skapegoat in the GSW community for reasons that don't add up...

1) they expect perfection from a 2nd year player and don't understand young players can be inconsistent
2) willingly ignore the different ways he helps the team win
3) stay married to their disproven opinion

/end klay thompson fanclub rant :mrgreen:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:24 pm
*Edit. Not worth hijacking this thread to have another 10 page debate about Klay's defense*

None of us are disappointed in Klay Thompson's defense last night. We're disappointed that he fouled out midway through the 4th in a game where he was badly needed by his teammates. If anything, that's a backhanded compliment. Klay Thompson was so valuable, his loss meant the Warriors' demise.

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:00 pm
My only complaint about Klay Thompson's play has mainly to do with when the Warriors are on offense and running their half-court sets. When Klay Thompson is moving away from the ball and brushing his defender off of screens, catches passes and shoots while in rhythm a whole bunch of good things happen: the Klay defender gets tired, Klay gets open looks at the basket, the Warrior who set the last screen can either pop or roll for an open look shot (if Klay decides to pass him the ball). This movement and screening also results in Klay moving, catching and shooting in rhythm; and he is lethal (much like a Reggie Miller, Rip Hamilton, Ray Allen) in this offense. I also love the way that Klay Thompson can finish the fast break. I am not a big fan of Klay Thompson trying to create his shot off the dribble nor am I a big fan of him setting up on the perimeter for a catch-and-shoot. Lastly, Klay Thompson on the defensive end of the floor appears to sometimes have mental lapses and gets called for unnecessary fouls. The kid should come back strong for game 2; I look for him to finish out the game in a Warrior win!

All Star
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:13 pm
32 wrote:*Edit. Not worth hijacking this thread to have another 10 page debate about Klay's defense*

None of us are disappointed in Klay Thompson's defense last night. We're disappointed that he fouled out midway through the 4th in a game where he was badly needed by his teammates. If anything, that's a backhanded compliment. Klay Thompson was so valuable, his loss meant the Warriors' demise.

Agreed, Curry had no legs, some of those misses were exhaustion. Losing Klay meant no offense at that point.

This is a game where having Lee would have been awesome.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:42 pm
Blackfoot wrote:
32 wrote:*Edit. Not worth hijacking this thread to have another 10 page debate about Klay's defense*

Agreed, Curry had no legs, some of those misses were exhaustion. Losing Klay meant no offense at that point.

This is a game where having Lee would have been awesome.

After last night, do you think the Dubs can get more run out of David Lee?

I'd love to see him get 10-15 minutes in small spurts. Even on one leg, his offense has been invaluable.

Return to Warriors Basketball