No, we'd need to throw in a lot more for Orlando
17%
No, I don't want those players
17%

Total votes : 6

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:32 am
Blackfoot wrote:What would it take to trade for Kevin Love? Obviously we'd have to move Lee somehow, which makes it difficult. But since lee is a top 15 offensive player someone would want him.

He's a top 7-8 player (interchangeable with Harden.)

We'd probably be a 4th to 5th seed with Kevin Love, maybe three depending on how the rest of the off season went.

I've said before that Love is more gettable now then ever, not only due to his injuries this season and showing displeasure with the Minnesota direction, but Lee's increased level of play at allstar level. I think either Lee and Rush for Love or Green or Lee, Landry and Rush or Green for Love and DWilliams could be done.

Love next to Bogut would be a great duo, rebounding and amazing smarts. Love is a superstar and DWilliams is close to the end of his contract, with a team option after next season, so he'd have to play to play to his high draft pick potential to get any type of good contract from anyone, as he has been a major disappointment so far.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:35 am
Stairway Man wrote:No, Jack can't get Lin's contract because Lin's contract was partially based on his age and the Linsanity stretch and also Jack isn't as marketable as Lin. I don't like this trade. I like the idea though, just don't want it. Harrington is bad news. First and foremost, they need to do everything they can to sign Jack and go from there. Whatever the cost is... do it.

I don't think the team can afford to give Jack more than 8 million a year and that amount itself would place a bit of a limit on the team for the duration of that contract. He deserves such money right now, but I don't think he can get better than what he was this season, though I do think he can stay at this level for a few more years. I think as a backup is where he is best as well.

Role Player
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:55 am
The team needs Jack. If he likes it here, he should stay. They can negotiate. Hopefully he can take a little less to be here. After all he really is like a starter for us. It will hard for Curry next year without Jack.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:48 pm
http://www.77zhibo.com/api/nbatv.html?i ... ve_game_hd

hd stream migg
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:42 pm
KG + Pierce for Lee, Beans, and RJ?!?!?!?!??!
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:35 am
KG and Bogut absolutely despise each other...

Can KG still play the 4? And what happens with Barnes/Pierce (who starts?)? Can Pierce accept a role as a 3rd or 4th scoring option? He never has before...

I dunno, it looks good on paper (talent-wise, at least), but I don't think I'd trade Lee for either of those guys, and you run a major chemistry risk bringing a couple old dogs in to accept lesser roles to younger stars. Ideally, you'd like Pierce as a 6th man to add scoring punch to the bench unit, but I don't believe he thinks he's at that stage yet... And Barnes has made a large enough stride in these playoffs for me to buy into him as a potential scoring option next year... Granted, Pierce has the blueprint to Barnes' game and he'd be a great mentor to learn from.

I can't make up my mind. I don't think I'd have the balls to pull the trigger cause I'm too big of a Lee fan.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:54 am
Only players that will cause major shifts in the team I want to look at this offseason are Dwight and Klove. If other options become available I will probably shift my stance.

Right now, It's Klove, Dwight, or everything should stay the same, ignoring the obvious changes that have to happen.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:29 am
No reason to get two old players near retirement, especially while giving up our equal best player who is listed as the only allstar.

It's KLove for Lee and one bench player out of Rush, Green, AB or RJ. Other than that, to be honest, as much as I like what Bogut brings, if we could get MGasol, which we absolutely can't, I'd trade for him, using Bogut and one bench player out of Rush, Green, AB or RJ.

This team right now is a success and only an obvious improvement should be the only change.

Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:45 am
Jack is due for a raise from his $5.5M pay check, but can the Warriors afford to pay him? They traded away a young player in Jeremy Tyler just to get under the luxury tax by $200,000. With the increase of salaries to players like Bogut, Lee, Jefferson and Curry (from $3.5M to $10M), this team will be nearly $4M over the luxury tax next season. Even though Lacob and Myers have said they'd be willing to pay it, they haven't shown that they are. Even if they're able to trade the expirings of Jefferson and Biedrins, it still won't help their cause of getting under the tax.

I can see Landry opting in and accepting his final $4M for 2013-14, but I'm not sure re-signing Jack would be in the financial cards for the Dubs. If they lose Jack, they'll need to find some depth. Hopefully, Brandon Rush can return back healthy and pick up some of the scoring that Jack provided. The starting 5 is pretty much set in stone. There are no other alternatives. Curry, Thompson, Barnes, Lee and Bogut are the starters next season. What they need are players behind those guys. I would keep one of those expiring contracts (Biedrins') and try to move Jefferson for some depth.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:57 am
Idea is interesting. My favorite trade partner to help us fill our bench would be Milwaukee if we could take advantage of their glut of defensive minded PFs to replace Landry. Would love to get Udoh back as well as a guy like Moute.

This one I like except for the Harrington part. I know his problem was mostly with Nellie who was constantly calling him out, and I'm sure he'd like Jackson a lot more. But I don't want to take on his salary for an extra year as he'll basically be like Jefferson/Biedrins for another year. Afflalo is a good player and we don't have to be so reliant on Rush getting back up to form fast and Davis is a solid backup big, but I don't like the idea of locking up guys who don't earn their $$$ (or at least probably won't here) for a longer period of time.

I'd really like to see us be patient and use a combination of expirings and assets to be ready to make that next Harden type deal that comes available. Two guys I can see becoming available next year that could really make us a contender type are Love and Dirk. Expirings, + 2015 pick (don't think we can trade the 2014 one) whatever assets or picks we could get for Lee from a third team (or maybe Lee straight up if Minnesota deems him a good fit) could possibly get that done.
Get Money. Get Paid.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:33 am
A couple people have brought up the Kevin Love idea. So let's flesh that out.

Now, I'm all in for KLove. I say, anything but Curry and you've got a deal. But I've traditionally been more "realistic" about the price we'd have to potentially pay for a player of Love's caliber. And "anything but Curry" is exactly what it would take to acquire Love. This will not be a case where we can fantasize about expirers, lower prospects (like Green or Ezeli), and flimsy draft picks and call it a day. I wonder how many people here truly would have the nuts to go all-in on a Love trade...

First of all, Minnesota won't sell their fans on an internal replacement for Love. You don't trade your franchise player for a package centered around Biedrins as a 3rd big so you can start Derrick Williams at the 4. The Wolves already have Williams. They want someone to replace LOVE, not a bench big. So first and foremost, you're centering a Kevin Love deal around David Lee.

But David Lee can't hold a candle to Papa Wes. And the TWolves know it. So you need a package akin to what the Hornets got for Paul. Love will cost Lee AND a cant miss prospect. And I'm sorry Warriors fans, but you're not gonna sell the Wolves on Harrison Barnes as a "can't miss" guy. They'll want an Eric Gordon level kicker... That means Klay Thompson. Which means you'll be breaking up the best shooting backcourt in the NBA.

Think I'm done? Oh no. There's more.

Losing a player of Love's talent sets a team back. The Wolves want a lottery pick, too. And since we don't have one, you either need to give them Harrison Barnes or you need to find a 3rd team willing to trade a first rounder that's sure to be in the top 10... And that means surrendering a Jefferson/Biedrins expirer for an anchor contract. You might be able to sell Washington of Jefferson+Filler for Nene.

Which makes a REALISTIC potential deal for Kevin Love:

GSW trade: David Lee (MIN), Klay Thompson (MIN), Richard Jefferson (WAS), Festus Ezeli (WAS)
MIN trade: Kevin Love (GSW), Brandon Roy (GSW)
WAS trade: Nene (GSW), 2014 1st Round Pick (MIN)

And, again, I'm ALL IN. Because Love makes this lineup look like this:

C : Andrew Bogut / Nene
PF: Kevin Love / Draymond Green
SF: Harrison Barnes /
SG: Brandon Rush / Brandon Roy
PG: Steph Curry / Jarrett Jack

But, again... I suspect many of you would be opposed to dealing Thompson.

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:06 pm
I like Thompson a lot, but I like Klove more.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:46 am
As has been the case throughout nba history, and there are quite a number of examples in the last twenty years, you never get equal value back for a superstar, especially a disgruntled star that states he wants out. Barkely went from Philly to Phoenix in 1992 for Hornacek, Lang and Perry, nowhere near value for him. Then he got traded again a few years later to Houston for Sam Cassell, Robert Horry, Chucky Brown, and Mark Bryant, again less value and result. Shaq for Grant, CButler and Odom, Miami got a championship straight away, Lakers fell to lowest since getting Shaq. This will be another case of that, as Minnesota will lose Love for less, but not necessatily much less.

Trading with us, they'll get Lee and either Green or Rush, throw in a future 1st rounder, like in two or three years, and that's very good, considering Lee is an allstar and Love barely played all season. The injuries Love suffered is something I personally have some concerns over and he has to show he fully healed.

To be honest, I think the Lakers will trade PGasol and one or two bench players, like Jamison, for Love, making the Lakers yet again a dynasty type, if they're not with their current lineup.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:16 am
But c'mon, migs. The Barkley trade was 20 years ago. GMs are under WAY more pressure in the modem age to obtain near-equal, if not equal, value. Everything is scrutinized in the information era. A trade like the Barkley deal pertains to a different frame of time. Every team has a list of Jr GMs in the audience now; let's look at trades in the past few years:

- btw, Shaq was over the hill, championship or no, Miami got 2 years of him and everybody knew Shaq's window was almost closed. KLove is entering his prime and will give any team another 10+ years of production, so the price will be steeper -

What did Jersey surrender for Deron Williams? Their best player of the same position (DHarris), a cant miss prospect (Favors), and Golden State's lottery pick. What did Denver get for Melo? Best SF (Chandler), can't miss prospect (Gallo), and 3 Knicks draft picks (including a 1st rounder). How about Chris Paul? 2 starters (Kaman/Aminu), can't miss prospect (Gordon), and a 1st round pick. Even the Dwight Howard trade netted Orlando a lottery pick (Harkless), a stud prospect (Vucevic), 3 starters, and 5 draft picks (including 3 first rounders).

The days of trading superstars for role players are over. We'd all LOVE to turn a severely over-valued package of David Lee plus fillers into the league's best power forward, but there's another person on the other end of this whose goal in life is not to improve the Warriors. There are 25+ teams that will deal an attractive package away for Love. It's not our sparse package or the bricks; there is no shortage of options for Minnesota when it comes to dealing Kevin Love. If we want him, our offer has to stand out. It will take AT LEAST Klay, DLee, and a lottery pick; I'd be surprised if we wouldn't have to eat a crap contract or throw in a second-rounder or two. Love is easily THE premiere PF in the game today. He won't come cheap, no matter how much we'd all love it.

Don't make me bring up the KG argument migs...! :wink:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:51 am
HAHA, KG, I still think we could have got him relatively cheap.

Referring to your examples, you listed trades that are very recent and actual fact showed that those trades were garbage in return for giving away the superstar.

Utah got nothing but potential for Deron. DHarris was good some five years ago (for three years at most), but not anymore including at the time of that trade a couple of years ago. Favors and Kanter are potential yet to be realised. Utah has not got much out of them and barely made the playoffs last year, missing out this year. They were a top 4 team in the West with Deron.

For Carmelo, Denver got lucky with the increased level of play from Gallo and WChandler, but they also got more proven talent than other trades for superstars have gotten. They are one of the rare examples of a team that actually improved following the trade of their superstar.

Orlando were absolutely incompetent with their trade of Dwight. They could have at least got two proven very good players and two or three lottery picks, but instead got projects and a few future late 1st round draft picks. They promptly had an awful season and will need to attain another superstar and get rid of alot of the players they currently have to have a chance of being a top team again.

I think Lee and either Rush or Green right now are good value for Love. Look at it, Love barely played this season and Lee was an allstar and in my opinion, the best PF. Green proved he can defend well and has maturity beyond his youth, as he showed in this series against Denver. Minnesota would be hard pressed to find better than that.

As I said earlier though, I sniff the Lakers will deal PGasol and one or two bench players and get Love.

PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball