Raider Nation Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:47 pm
Kelly is gone... Rumors that Matt Flynn could be heading to Oakland. Could be a good competition over Pryor. And he is cheaper.
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:05 pm
I finally did a little research on the Palmer situation and things certainly weren't what I thought they were - So if you guys keep Palmer you're on the hook for $15.335 million. If the Raiders released him that goes to $9.34 million. Only saving $5.995 million, but there wont be any dead money for future years because Palmer restructured his deal to spread it out and save the Raiders cap space - he actually did them a solid there (maybe not as much of a d-bag as I thought). Now it seems as though the Raiders are the real d-bags here if/when they cut him because the Raiders are only out $9 mil in dead money and all Palmer gets is a decent severance and likely no job because they've waited so long to take any action.

Sorry guys, I know it's a business but scumbag move by the Raiders right there - this will not be forgotten by future players and agents that they ask to restructure - which in many cases, is a trust thing.

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:25 pm
Carson Palmer will draw interest from either the Cardinals or Jets and likely get the job.

But the Raiders and Palmer were trying to restructure again and Palmer wasn't budging this time. That's fine and I don't care, but free agents certainly won't care about that. But I also don't want any free agent players. I want to be built just like the Packers. Exclusively through the draft, seldom using free agency.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:37 am
Blackfoot wrote:Carson Palmer will draw interest from either the Cardinals or Jets and likely get the job.

But the Raiders and Palmer were trying to restructure again and Palmer wasn't budging this time. That's fine and I don't care, but free agents certainly won't care about that. But I also don't want any free agent players. I want to be built just like the Packers. Exclusively through the draft, seldom using free agency.

I dont mind what McKenzie is doing with his short term signings... he is looking at the draft. I hope McKenzie addressed nothing but defense on this draft. If we can get DT Star with the third pick, this team can really build a foundation for their defense. I wouldnt mind risking the third round pick on CB Tyrann Mathieu, though i doubt McKenzie will risk hurting his revitalization on grabbing him. I personally think he is worth the risk.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:42 pm
Just speculating here, but Palmer's decision to not restructure could be because it only stands to cost him more money in the future.

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:56 pm
I think it might just be a paycut this time.

They are asking him to take a 25 percent payout on a team going no where. I am with Palmer, I wouldn't do it, especially at the age of 33.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:01 am
Just cut Palmer... raiders only save a few million (meaning they have to pay most of his guarenteed salary for this year), but it shows a fresh start. And Palmer wants out, so we dont need him.

The sad thing is the raiders only have 7 quality starters (combine with defense, offense, special teams). Veldheer, Wizniewski, Reese, Houston, Branch and Janikowski, That means there are plenty of uncertainties and holes. So the draft needs to be essential this year and next. But it can be done. McKenzie addressed the Linebackers in FA, focus on the D-line and Secondary in the draft. Raiders should have an OK defense this year (offense will be a mess).

McFadden should be traded for a pick. It wont be a first or second, but a 3rd rounder would be worth it. If he gets hurt again or underperforms like last year, he wont be worth anything.

Trade for Matt Flynn. Cap hit is only 5 mill and he would be a top backup/ good competition for Pryor. If both fail this year, then they know they have to draft a QB next year.

Draft Defense in first few picks. AND avoid the SEC in the first round. Continue to build on defense. It is stronger than their offense (even though they lost almost everyone to free agency/cuts). We have Houston, Branch, Burris, Roach is alright, so building on that foundation this year will make us competitive. And rumors raiders will draft Dee Milliner. Raiders have bad luck with First round SEC players (McClain, JaMarcus)

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:31 pm
Matt Flynn doesn't have the arm. He is going to bust with us.

I hope not though.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:19 am
Blackfoot wrote:Matt Flynn doesn't have the arm. He is going to bust with us.

I hope not though.

Looks like we're going to find out. Flynn to the Raiders for a 5th in 2014 and a conditional in 2015.

Conversation heating up about Palmer going to the Cards.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:14 pm
Palmer to Cardinals for pretty much nothing. Which was expected.

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:51 pm
Just heard Palmer. Said he wanted to clear the air about what happened in Oakland. Said they presented him a contract that had absolutely no guarantees or security. Said his agent told him not to sign it. Says agent told him no way he’d allow him to sign such a contract.

lol We basically did try to screw Palmer.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:50 pm
Blackfoot wrote:Just heard Palmer. Said he wanted to clear the air about what happened in Oakland. Said they presented him a contract that had absolutely no guarantees or security. Said his agent told him not to sign it. Says agent told him no way he’d allow him to sign such a contract.

lol We basically did try to screw Palmer.

I dont believe Palmer. remember when he "retired" in Cincinnati (more like abandoned until he got his way). McKenzie and Allen both wanted Palmer back this season. It costed the team more to keep him after March 12. They were planning on keeping him. They were asking for a 3 million dollar pay cut. All but $5 million was already guaranteed. Raiders just wanted to meet him halfway. He refused because he wanted to be released anyways. He is 33 and wants to play without worry of losing his job.

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:36 am
I don't think he was afraid of losing his job. His back up QB in Oakland is god awful and if he was cut he would have instantly drawn interest and be a starter on either the Cardinals or Jets.

I hope he does well on the Cardinals, but I doubt it with that god awful Oline and playing against the Seahawks and Niners.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:36 pm
I think Carson Palmer is headed for 4000 yards & 25-30 Tds , There's gonna be a lot of picks as well.

But Larry Fitzgerald is now a top 2 wide receiver again.

Draft OLine and Cardinals Offense should be serviceable.
R.I.P Beanie Wells Fantasy owners.. LOL
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:40 pm
You know what.. GUYBRUSH if you read this thread

Alex Smith > Matt Flynn

Alex Smith on Chiefs > Matt Flynn on Raiders

There's no scenario where id rather Flynn over Alex Smith. They are similar Quarterbacks (No Arm, Good Feet)

But Alex Smith has the workrate.. Matt Flynn is such a unknown commodity.

Only bright spot I see is Terrelle Pryor now has legitamate opportunity to win this QB job. But insecure Dennis Allen is gonna go with the white QB because he is worried about his job and he will go with all the critics that say Terelle Pryor isn't a NFL QB.

I am kind of happy. New Head Coach after a 4-12 season, **** Dennis Allen off & Hopefully that fat **** general manager too next offseason.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board