This is David Lee's team

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 10
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:41 am
I'm with BBF on this one.
Which brings another interesting topic - if they remain at six warriors will facedenver, which is not exactly a good three ball shooting team. Warriors might get away with packing the lane on defense against denver, IF they somehow, though i don't know how, manage to stop their transition game, which is just superb.
"i wish i was a little bit taller" skee lo
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:59 pm
Blackfoot wrote:Lee got the second most shots like he should get.

Once you adjust for pace, we take the 24th most threes in the league. Outside of Klay/Curry no one else consistently takes threes. We definitely do not live and die by the three. We have won plenty of games where we shot under 30 percent for threes. One example is when we beat the Thunder, we shot only 27 percent on threes.

But a good amount of threes are a great formula in the playoffs. There is a reason all the top offenses and elite teams in the league can knock down the three ball like a ************. Because that's what a good offense demands.

Rockets beat the Jazz recently. They had a lower field goal percentage, turned it over more, shot a lower three point percentage, and were outrebounded.

They won. Think about it.

Edit: I can understand why people get frustrated with the three ball. But it's so vital to keep using it. If someone is hitting 28 percent on threes, that's literally more valuable than 42 percent on two's. It's very easy for threes to be worth more than two's in the long run.

Just by glancing at David Lee's gamelogs.... November and December (with the Warriors great start) he was getting much more FGA's and more consistent. I want him to be in the 15 - 17 FGA range, not the 13 FGA's like he's been getting. But vs the Kings he did get a lot of touches and we did attack the paint. They just missed a lot of easy layups.

There's nothing wrong with the 3 ball, but this is more of a philosophical approach to how you want to run the offense. Do you want to be an outside in team or an inside out team? I think we've seen that the GSW are way more efficient when they work the ball inside to set up the 3, instead of vice versa. Curry went off for 54 vs the Knicks....great. But should also remember that David Lee was the clear cut all star and the workhouse.

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:03 pm
Eh. I want to do what is the most efficient. And that's Curry than Lee. And than everyone else.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:27 am
I want to play the team thing. I want Curry taking shots IF he is hitting them, which very usually he is, not the last game though. I want Lee as first option inside and first option about half the time, getting alot of shots when he is hitting, which is very usual, though he didn't get enough shots in the last game. I want Klay to get his when he is on. I want Bogut to get more shots, as that will make it easier on the others. I want Barnes to get his, doesn't happen enough, I want him cutting to the basket where he can use his athleticism, as well as hitting the three like he did so well in college. I want Jack and Landry to get theirs. I want the likes of Green to play to their athletic strengths.

You have to go with what is working, not with what is not, on any given night and last game was done wrong.

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:05 am
Always try to get the open shot, but try to make the system give your best offensive players the most looks.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:20 am
Most can mean barely more shots than others. I like the higher probability of success strategy of playing to everyone's strengths and specifically getting the player or players who are hitting in a particular game the most shots. The so called best player or players on a team may have a bad game and thus should not shoot the ball much in such a game, especially when there are other options.

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:21 am
Blackfoot wrote:Eh. I want to do what is the most efficient. And that's Curry than Lee. And than everyone else.

Actually, if TS% and eFG% is your main point, the team's most efficient scorer is Carl Landry.

Another example of statistics' ability to deceive... unless, you'd like to argue that Carl Landry is our best scorer?
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:03 pm
Nah, not a high enough usage rate.

And as someone part of the second unit that is definitely not the first look he gets to be pretty selective with his shot selection: Heat map of his shot selection: http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... ting/2013/

Impeccable shot selection either from being under the basket on a rebound or an easy cut and a pass from curry/jack or a wide open jumper. Either way, he's above average in all of the places he shoots. That's why he is such a great role player, because he is smart too.

I love heat maps.

Here is Curry's: http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... /2013/He's above average in almost every single part on the floor.

David Lee's: http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... ting/2013/

This basically shows what hand he likes to use the most.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:27 pm
Maybe I'm old school, but I like post up bank shots instead of long jumpers...as being the most dependable. And it just gives the team confidence (no stat for that) when you can do what you want in the paint. It also opens the game up and frees the sharp shooters up more. Also worth noting that David Lee has a higher assist ratio than Curry. But the best analysis is the eyeball test.... don't you think the team was playing their best earlier in the season, a time when Lee was getting more shots ? Hey and if Carl Landry was owning in the paint, we said sure let's go with that. So I like the feed the hot hand team approach. Curry's not there yet. He's a very good player, but he's not on a superstar level yet to where it should just be a given that he should shoot more than everyone else. I think David Lee's been the Warriors most consistent player and it'd be hard to make a case against that. The teams strength is playing as a team and not thinking Curry Lee or Klay can do it alone or play hero ball. They're not good enough to just say "let's give the ball to Curry and make something happen." Team ball is what worked in the beginning of the season and that's what they need to have more of.

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:31 am
I don't think anyone should play hero ball, I just think Curry is the player we should run the offense through
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:19 pm
Blackfoot wrote:I don't think anyone should play hero ball, I just think Curry is the player we should run the offense through

Curry AND Lee, and I'd agree with you. I think the team does best when they both shoot within similar attempts. If one of them is going off, feed him. But as a default, they should be equal.

This recent strategy of giving Curry 6 more shots a game than Lee has been detrimental to the win column. Curry shouldn't be taking 20 shots on 30% while Lee hits half his shots but only takes 12. That's bad offense.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:34 pm
Call me crazy, but I still think this is David Lee's team....by a fraction of a %. At least in their approach on offense.

Basically, I think the 3 headed monster approach is way more efficient and makes more basketball sense than the Splash Brothers Show. Seems last year, we were running the offense through Lee on the elbow a lot more. This year we have an improved playmaking Curry, Iggy, and a better Klay Thompson. Which is all good. But I think we need to remember the identity of the team, or what it should be if we want to consistently win.

A jump shooting only team, which inevitably will have cold spells, will fail in the playoffs - as we saw vs the Spurs. That's the moment the W's missed Lee the most. I think Lee is a player who needs to get into his rhythm and touches more often. Not just to score, but should be involved in the play from an ideal position on the court. He can look over the defense, interior pass to Bogut, or set up the shooters playing off ball. Last year we had Landry get some post buckets when we needed some inside scoring. He's gone, J. O'Neal in his place, who could also be that.

Just basically to sum up, I'm saying the default go-to option shouldn't always be the Curry or Klay show. Because a lot of times, that ends in a jump shot - often at times when you need an easy bucket. Lee needs to be in the mix equally with Curry and Klay and Iggy - as a go to guy or at least getting touches - because he gives us a different look as someone who can score or pass from the post. Curry and Klay are having great years, but if the defense has to worry more about Lee in the post, as truly an equally viable weapon on offense, that will just open up the perimeter even more for Curry and Klay and even Bogut down low. Can we say that the W's have used Lee in the same way as a Kevin Love or a L. Aldridge? I haven't seen that. Does he have that capability? Sure. We saw it last year. But he needs to have the opportunity to be effective. And I think only good things can come from that. He's not going to always have to score but what it will do is put another option of pressure on the opponent's defense that' they'll have to respect, and with Lee being a great passer, that will open the floor up for everyone else.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:01 am
Lee has been on fire during this winning streak. Curry and Klay may get all the media attention but it is Lee who'll determine how well we go this season.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:13 am
Lee has returned to being a great PF with his play the last couple of weeks. Think he'll get allstar as well as Curry at this rate and that'd be so awesome.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:36 pm
game 3 of the playoffs

2 things:

1) Bogut's value to this team is immeasurable

2) This is what happens when Lee is treated as an afterthought for most of the season. If you compare this year vs last, it's mainly the Curry and Klay show on offense, with Lee as an afterthought. Last season Lee was the workhorse, made the all star team, made all-nba 3rd team, and the team LOOKED for him more on offense. He got his touches, not just points from putbacks. I will maintain that this team is most lethal not when Curry is your go-to guy, but when Lee Curry Klay are your EQUAL three headed monsters. The Warriors haven't looked to Lee to be EQUAL 3 headed monster this year, and that's SHOWED big time --- they're not used to it because all year they've relied on Curry and Klay jacking up 3 after 3. But in the playoffs, it's easier for teams to gameplan and take those jumpers away, and when the jumpers get cold -- what do you have left??

Curry's good, but by nature of his game -- jump shooting and not living at the FT line -- he is NOT at the level YET of these guys like Lebron Durant Blake or even someone like James Harden. These guys you give them the ball and they get buckets regardless. As we've seen this series, Curry can be contained.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball