How does Curry rank among other NBA point guards?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:17 pm
Curry is really great for bay area basketball. The last time we had this kind of talent was probably Chris Webber. He does have moments where he's careless with the ball and there was a game or two (or three) where he shot us out the game, but his potential is undeniable. He has the ability to blow the lid off of any game and it's fun to watch. We all remember the New York game, and just yesterday he blew up for 39 points. All of this had me wondering where he stands on the PG totem pole.

As of right now, I can't say he's top 5, but if he comes back next season with just minor improvements he could make an argument for himself. For sure Chris Paul, Derrick Rose, and Russell Westbrook has him beat. This is where is starts to get fuzzy. To me, Tony Parker is in the top 5, but some people wont agree because of the lack of numbers. Rajon Rondo is up there for me too because he plays defense, best creator in basketball, and can attack the basket. He also has a ring. Everyone I've just mentioned I would put in the top 5 in no particular order although Rose and Paul is definitely numbers 1 and 2. Irving has the potential to be THE best pg in the league, but it's hard to put a number on him because he's been injured so often . It'll be very interesting to see where Jrue Holiday and Damian Lillard is on this list given another year as well.

So here's my top 10:

A tie for 1st. Chris Paul and Derrick Rose
3. Russell Westbrook
4. Tony Parker
5. Rajon Rondo
6. Irving
7. Curry
8. Deron Williams
9. Jrue Holiday
10. Damian Lillard

Honorable mentions: Ty Lawson, Ricky Rubio, and Mike Conley Jr.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:36 pm
Paul
Rose
Parker
Curry/Westbrook
Irving

Not sure how you can have Irving and Rondo above Curry. Irving is close offensively, but he's not as good as Curry yet, and he also suffers the second best biggest drop off in the entire league when playing top eight defense. He is at the point in his career where he pads his stats vs bad defenses (drop of 8 in production when playing good defenses). That will change as he gets older, but for now, it's the way it is and Rondo is frankly not close to Curry in production. And it's not like his rebounding makes up for it, Celtics rebound better when he is off the floor and that's typically because Rondo is trying to pad his stats and Rondo was flat out awful defensively this year. Celtics were two points better defensively once he was off the floor. They were only .3 points worse offensively without him.

He's certainly a productive player but Curry > Rondo and it's not close.

It's why Ainge wanted to do Curry for Rondo straight up. Because Curry is better, not because the Celtics just wanted to do us a favor.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:37 pm
I've been a big advocat of Rondo for some three years now, but as a whole, he is not that great, just good who can be great at certain times. I can see that now.

Curry to me is hard to rate compared to those other guys mentioned right now.

I'll rate:

1. Paul
2. Rose
3. Westbrook
4. Parker
5. Curry
6. Lawson
7. Irving
8. Deron
9. Rondo
10. Lillard

Lawson is underrated and plays both ends well. Denver's success the last two seasons have been alot attributed to him.

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:42 pm
I put Irving in front Curry based on potential alone. I think it's a matter of time before he's top 3 point guards in the league. I don't know how much Curry is going to improve, but right now, if you asked me to pick between Irving and Curry, I would have to pick Irving. It would be very gut wrenching because my heart is with Curry, but my gut tells me that Irving will have a better career.

I give Rondo the nod because he's been doing it for years, man. Curry hasn't done this for an entire season yet.

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:42 pm
migya wrote:I've been a big advocat of Rondo for some three years now, but as a whole, he is not that great, just good who can be great at certain times. I can see that now.

Curry to me is hard to rate compared to those other guys mentioned right now.

I'll rate:

1. Paul
2. Rose
3. Westbrook
4. Parker
5. Curry
6. Lawson
7. Irving
8. Deron
9. Rondo
10. Lillard

Lawson is underrated and plays both ends well. Denver's success the last two seasons have been alot attributed to him.

Rondo is too low and Lawson is too high for me on this list.

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:11 pm
I understand Kyrie has more upside than Curry, but

You said you picked Rondo for doing it for years and Kyrie on potential. Don't worry about not being biased, being biased here is the right answer.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:24 am
1. Rose. MVP = trump card. Year off makes us forgetful, but he's on another planet.

2. CP3. Best pure point in the game. If he was 6'3", we could argue between him and Rose.

3. Russell Westbrook. If he weren't such a stat-hound/ball-hog, he'd be Rose V.2.

4. Steph Curry. Because put him on the Spurs, Thunder, Nuggets, or Celts and they'd be just as good if not better than they are now. Best pure shooter in the league.

5. Rajon Rondo. I'm gonna deviate from BF's stat knowledge here; watching Rondo firsthand, I believe he'd be in the runnings for #1 if he had any sort of shot, or a consistent competitive fire. I don't believe he's an average defender; I believe he's the current best all-around defensive PG.

6. Tony Parker. Because, while he IS tremendous, he benefits heavily from the system. He, Ginobli, and Duncan are catered to from their coaches and teammates as much as any trio in the league.

7. Kyrie Irving. Just too much game.

8. John Wall. If he could stay healthy, he'd be top 5. Makes an enormous difference in Washington's W/L column.

9. Damian Lillard. I'd almost rather have him over Curry. The thought of this guy in 3 years is insane.

10. Deron Williams. He gets docked by me because, despite the immense skill, he has proven that he can't carry a team without a couple fellow stars to save him. DWilliams, on skill set, SHOULD be top 4, but he just doesn't elevate his team like Rose, Paul, Curry, or even Wall.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:24 am
First of all, the PG-position is ridicously stacked right now. Seriously. There are almost too many to even try to make such a list, but I'll try.

1. Derrick Rose - team-player, facilitator, scorer and the best athlete when healthy.
2. Chris Paul - average athlete, but the best floor general in the league and extremely clutch.
3. Tony Parker - it's ridicolous that some say he is the best PG, but when shooting above 50% and scoring at the level he does, you cannot undermine his abilitites.
4. Rus Westbrook - Crazy athlete, but averages more shots than Durant - dafuq?
5. Kyrie Irving - man, i love that kid's game. Seriosuly, he'll be the best PG in 2 years and maybe even the best player in 4-5 years. The best scorer among point guards.
6. Steph Curry - clearly the best shooter in the game and can also facilitate.
7. D Will - he is finally healthy and has shown why he often has been in the conversation for the best PG.
8. Rajon Rondo - awful shots and it seems that C's are better off without him, all though it doesnt makes sense to me.
9. Jrue Holiday - plays on one of the baddest teams in the league, but has really elavated his game this year.
10. Ty Lawson - close race between him and Lillard, but right now, I would take Ty. In 2 years, though.. that's another conversation.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:43 am
Blackfoot wrote:I understand Kyrie has more upside than Curry, but

You said you picked Rondo for doing it for years and Kyrie on potential. Don't worry about not being biased, being biased here is the right answer.

Biased isn't the right word, buddy, but I know what you mean. It sounds backwards. I guess right now, Curry is better, but Irving is only in his 2nd year and at the rate that he's improving, he has more potential to be the best point guard in the league.

Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:03 am
I really wasn't that high on Rose; I haven't seen him play all that much (I pretty much exclusively watch GSW games) and I had this notion that he was pretty much only a good scorer... Compared to some of the other guys and what they've done in the past 3-4 seasons, he kind of is. At least he is when compared to guys that I feel like are better point guards and not just basketball players or scorers. Forgetting experience, age, health, potential, etc...

1. Chris Paul - Best pure PG, excellent defender for his size and he just sees the court like no other.
2. Deron Williams - Size, skill, athletic. If I were to build a team around one PG, this would be the guy.
3. Derick Rose - Best scoring PG in the league, but he needs to improve as a distributor. He's a great scorer, but this isn't the 2, it's the 1.
4. Kyrie Irving - This kid is amazing. Maybe this is a little high for him at this point in his career and I’m factoring in the potential, but damn he’s going to be great for a long time.
5. Curry – Honestly. Decision making, shot selection (usually efficient, although more value lately). This is the type of offense I want to see from my PG; That ability to take the game into his one hands when he needs to and maximizing the shots he creates for himself. Sadly, his injuries are going to hurt his perception as a PG, rather than a scorer. I don’t knock Curry for his comparatively low APG as I do with Rose because he is ask to play off ball more in a 2 PG set because of his shooting ability.

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:50 pm
Rose is ight, but no where near as good CP3. CP3 with his TS percentage and his elite passing makes for the best offensive player in the entire league.

Chris Paul

Everyone Else
Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:17 pm
First, this is CBS' Player Ranking based on stats...

1) Stephen Curry
2) Russell Westbrook
3) Jrue Holiday
4) Damien Lillard
5) Monta Ellis
6) Deron Williams
7) Brandon Jennings
8) Kemba Walker
9) Chris Paul
10) Tony Parker

My rankings

1) Chris Paul
2) Rajon Rondo
3) Stephen Curry
4) Russell Westbrook
5) Deron Williams
6) Tony Parker
7) Damien Lillard
8) Jrue Holiday
9) Brandon Jennings
10) Kemba Walker
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:35 pm
Blackfoot wrote:Rose is ight, but no where near as good CP3. CP3 with his TS percentage and his elite passing makes for the best offensive player in the entire league.

Chris Paul

Everyone Else

Yeah but Rose has already won an MVP and taken his team to the ECF. The Bulls could have easily beat the Heat last year had DRose not gotten hurt. I find that more impressive than personal stats. Paul has never dragged the Clippers/Hornets to the Conference Finals.

And Rose drops 7 or 8 dimes a night... Dunno where this "he's just a scorer" thing is coming from. He's not in the Paul/Nash/Rondo category, but he's immediately below it with Parker, Williams, and Irving. He's a better passer than Curry.

Paul has to win something before I even consider him in Rose's league.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:40 pm
Yes, but Rose plays in the East. The talent level is different.

Chris Paul dragged a Hornets team to the playoffs that lost Aaron Gray. And the announcer said "that's a big loss." He said that about Aaron Gray.

Clippers are a +9 team when Chris Paul plays, when he missed games, they are a +2 differential team. Elite when he plays, mediocre when he doesn't.

Think of it this way, if Chris Paul was in the East as the fifth seed last year. Do you think they would not have beat the Hawks and then the 76ers to move to the ECF?

and most importantly it's a team sport, 32.
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:40 pm
BayAreaHoopz wrote:First, this is CBS' Player Ranking based on stats...

1) Stephen Curry
2) Russell Westbrook
3) Jrue Holiday
4) Damien Lillard
5) Monta Ellis
6) Deron Williams
7) Brandon Jennings
8) Kemba Walker
9) Chris Paul
10) Tony Parker

My rankings

1) Chris Paul
2) Rajon Rondo
3) Stephen Curry
4) Russell Westbrook
5) Deron Williams
6) Tony Parker
7) Damien Lillard
8) Jrue Holiday
9) Brandon Jennings
10) Kemba Walker

I like how Kemba Walker and Jrue Holiday get 8)
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball