Western seeding.

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:09 pm
Yeah, he is getting more touches because of the absence of Gay.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:01 pm
Blackfoot wrote:Yeah, he is getting more touches because of the absence of Gay.

Yup. "Addition by subtraction", right? lol
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:17 pm
That's exactly how I would put it.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:39 am
Have you noticed their schedule at all since dealing Gay? Sure, you have OKC, MIA, LAC, and GSW. Maybe Atlanta, I guess. And other than that, it's been:

WAS
PHO
MIN
SAC
DET
TOR
ORL (2x)
BRO
DAL
POR (2x)
CLE
NOLA

You really think they wouldn't be equally, if not more, dominant against those lottery scrubs with Rudy Gay? C'mon, boys. Strength of schedule is everything. And Memphis' last 20 have been a cake walk. Also, food for thought regarding "addition by subtraction": Toronto went from a 35% team before Gay to a 47% team with him. Let's not start any myths about Rudy Gay being anything but a damn good player. He's got the Raptors playing 1 game below .500 with him; they were 14 under .500 before him. And while it appears too late for him to dig them out of that hole and into the postseason, there's no doubt they'll be in it next year if he's healthy. Easily.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:37 pm
Raptors got worse on offense since Gay got there. And there defense stayed the same. I noted before the trade the Raptors were playing a lot better and were progressing back to their mean (thanks to bargs being out.) And then they continued to progress to their average after Gay got there, which has stopped now and they have started getting worse.

He's taking 19.6 shots a game for 19.3 points a game and their offense has gotten a point worse since his arrival. I thought he was in a bad offensive system with Memphis and was a really good defender, but in the Raptors system he's still an okay defender, but my opinion has soured on his offensive capabilities.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:40 pm
No, you were right. The Raptors didn't improve like I thought they would. Looks like they'll miss the playoffs, as you predicted. But I definitely don't think it's Gay's fault. It's tough for anyone's stats to get better when they go from a good team to a bad one.

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:42 pm
Yeah, that's true. I think next season will be a better indicator of his impact.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:55 am
I think that Gay was trying too hard to THE guy in Toronto, that he forced too many shots. If he played a it more relaxed, took those shots that were give to him, and drove when he had a chance, instead going into to players occasionally, he would be much better. But he forced it, and then when he couldn't hit it, he looked a bit nervous even on open shots. Still, he is decent, but I reckon next season he will look what he was supposed to look like when he was traded.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:32 am
Well, I doubt his attempts let up, but by next year, Toronto can find a more effective way to integrate him. Gay thrives off baseline/screen curls, where he can receiece the ball in the triple threat, 10-15 feet away, and either spot up or put the ball on the floor, because he's a terribly hard matchup at about 12 feet. However, it seems like when Lowry's off the floor, the Raptors look for him to initiate offense, which isn't his game. He's not Monta Ellis. He's not a great passer, nor is he the greatest ball-handler. Asking him to take someone off the dribble once is okay, but seeing if he can do it 5-10 times a night is a recipe for disaster if the opposition has a lengthy 3. Toronto's still trying to figure him out.

He'll still be a chucker next year, but I think they'll integrate some floppy plays for him, a few more curls, and a low-post play or two. Right now, Gay pretty much floats around the 3-point line and goes 1-on-1 when it's his turn. He can heat it up like that (as evident by their improved record), but he's got a lot more he can offer that's been lost so far.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:36 pm
So, unless Denver starts to string together a couple of losses and the clips start winning, the nuggets are about to festus up our arses.

Yes that was on purpose.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:51 pm
8th ave wrote:So, unless Denver starts to string together a couple of losses and the clips start winning, the nuggets are about to festus up our arses.

Yes that was on purpose.

No joke.

I've never rooted for Memphis/the Clippers harder in my life.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:42 pm
DENVER LOSES!!!! its about fukking time.

Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 am
8th ave wrote:DENVER LOSES!!!! its about fukking time.

No sh*t... had to double take the box score on that one to make sure I didn't have the scores reversed.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:14 am
I think we matchup quite well against the Nugs. We didn't have Bogut in any of the games against them this season I think and he'd make a big difference. Beating them in Denver would be hard, but the team has the players to beat them.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:13 pm
migya wrote:I think we matchup quite well against the Nugs. We didn't have Bogut in any of the games against them this season I think and he'd make a big difference. Beating them in Denver would be hard, but the team has the players to beat them.

You make a couple good points, migs, but Denver worries me because they're a Nellieball, fast-paced team that knows how to rebound and defend (which sounds like an oxymoron, I know). What they lack in a star player, they make up for by being better than the sum of their parts. I'm not sure if I've seen a team achieve this sort of unwarranted hyper success since the 2004 Pistons.

Pertaining to Bogut helping... It's tough to say. Denver used the drive-and-kick, ala Houston, during many of our games, so the biggest factor (besides rotating) is whether or not they're hitting on a particular night. I'm not afraid of their inside play - where Bogut would potentially help the most - I'm worried of them going small and having to watch Lee/Landry crash out against Gallinari, or Andrew Miller bullying Curry at will, or trying to figure out exactly how we'd close out on a lineup of Gallo, Lawson, Iggy, and Chandler. They've got a lot of Nellie-type players; athletic, skillful, can play multiple positions.

As far as the glass, their best rebounder is Kenneth Faried and David Lee is powerless to stop him. Lets say Rebounder 1 has a great nose for rebounds and collects a lot of glass, while Rebounder 2 is solid at boxing out and keeping his opposite number off the boards. Andrew Bogut is a type 2 and Lee is a type 1. Because of this, Bogut's boxing out of guys like McGee, Koufos, and Mozgof (who don't provide a ton of rebounding anyways) is wasted, while Lee's style of going after rebounds is neutralized by a scrappy workhorse like Faried. Against 25 others teams, I'd say our rebounding isn't an issue. But against Chicago, San Antonio, Memphis, Oklahoma City, and Denver... yeah, I'm worried about it.

Personally, gimmie Memphis, LAC, and THEN Denver...
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball