Jackson needs to fix the defense.

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:06 am
6.5 games up on the ninth seed. It's all chill. We could extend this losing streak to five more and still be in the playoffs.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:10 pm
I agree that the incredible three point shooting of the opposition won't continue, but truth is also that things have changed since Bogut returned and seems for the slightly worst. Bogut is a great Center, I always believed that, but right now, since he returned, the team has not handled it properly so far. Surely things will improve, Bogut adds so much defensively and is far more capable offensively than any other Center we have. It's just adjusting and playing a fair bit of inside out like has been said already.

I think the team's roster is built to be a total winner, it just hasn't shown itself to be so the last two weeks, but I'm looking forward to March onwards and think that health permitting, the team could push for a top 4 spot.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:53 am
Top 4 is pushing it.

They're not better than Oklahoma City, Memphis, San Antonio... And despite the head-to-head record, they're not catching the Clippers. I think the Nuggets are massively overachieving and if they fall back to earth, the Warriors have a shot at the 5-seed, but it's looking like the 6-seed thus far.

Best case scenario is you get the Clippers or the Spurs in round 1. OKC is going to the finals and Memphis has our number. Ideally, you'd like to upset the Clippers in round 1, have the Spurs take out Memphis and meet you in round 2, and bow out against the Thunder in the WCF. Again, that's ideal. As much as this team has improved, I don't see a first round victory against the Grizzlies, the Nuggets, or obviously the Thunder.

Sadly, without Bogut for a full season, I can't see us taking it all. To even be in that conversation, we need a similar year from Lee, 100% health from Curry and Bogut, consistency from Klay, HUGE development from Barnes, all of our key free agents resigned and in top form (Landry, Jack, Rush), and an additional veteran piece for the Biedrins/RJ money that expires after next year. Naturally, it'd be nice to parlay a few of those resources into some help for our top 3. I like Barnes and Klay, but nobody on this team should be untradeable for the right price.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:07 pm
Seriously, what you rather meet Clippers and Spurs than Grizzlies? Memphis, to me, is the ideal opponent for us: we haven't been good against them so far, but they have a Randolph in decline, Prince and Davis instead of Gay and a Gasol that we maybe can contain a little better with Bogut than Biedrins/Ezeli. Spurs, Clippers and Thunder are FAR more talented that the Grizzlies, and even though Grizz won't be the ideal matchup from a tactical standpoint, we have - without a doubt - the best chances against Grizzlies. I think we are 55-45 favorites against them with Bogut a little more healthy than now, i simply can't see us take either Spurs, Clips nor Nuggets out of the playoffs..

In terms of the defensive, something clearly has happened since Bogut has returned which is strange, since it exactly was in the defense that he should contribute. He seems slow and very un-athletic right now. I know that he never has been a really explosive guy, but he really doesn't look good out there. When Bogut plays like this, i think Ezeli is a better defender, simply because he is faster and more athletic and actually can play some help defense. But the most annoying is that we don't know whether Bogut will improve or get injured again, given his historic.. that's really frustrating. Hoping for the best, because Bogut at this point, to me, isn't really an upgrade over Biedrins and Ezeli, at least ont on the defensive end

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:32 pm
32 wrote:Top 4 is pushing it.

They're not better than Oklahoma City, Memphis, San Antonio... And despite the head-to-head record, they're not catching the Clippers. I think the Nuggets are massively overachieving and if they fall back to earth, the Warriors have a shot at the 5-seed, but it's looking like the 6-seed thus far.

Best case scenario is you get the Clippers or the Spurs in round 1. OKC is going to the finals and Memphis has our number. Ideally, you'd like to upset the Clippers in round 1, have the Spurs take out Memphis and meet you in round 2, and bow out against the Thunder in the WCF. Again, that's ideal. As much as this team has improved, I don't see a first round victory against the Grizzlies, the Nuggets, or obviously the Thunder.

Sadly, without Bogut for a full season, I can't see us taking it all. To even be in that conversation, we need a similar year from Lee, 100% health from Curry and Bogut, consistency from Klay, HUGE development from Barnes, all of our key free agents resigned and in top form (Landry, Jack, Rush), and an additional veteran piece for the Biedrins/RJ money that expires after next year. Naturally, it'd be nice to parlay a few of those resources into some help for our top 3. I like Barnes and Klay, but nobody on this team should be untradeable for the right price.

Nah, Nuggets aren't overachieving.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:29 am
Blackfoot wrote:
32 wrote:Top 4 is pushing it.

Nah, Nuggets aren't overachieving.

So you think that collection of players is achieving that record with any other coach besides George Karl? Cause I think he's got them playing totally above their heads. Iggy's their best player and he'd be 3rd banana here. Faried gets you a lotta glass, but he's not an option on offense. Gallo, Miller, Lawson, Chandler, McGee... I see a lotta pieces with no centerpiece. It's hard for me to believe that this season is anything more than Karl working his magic. And without an offensive go-to guy, Denver is an easy target in a 7-game series cause you can run a gimmicky defense to stop them.

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:15 pm
Disagree, I think they are winning in spite of Karl this year. He's had a lot of wacky rotations and bad set plays. I know that his inbound plays are some of the worst in the league. The team has a hard time getting it in and when they do it rarely produces a good shot. He only plays Mcgee 24 minutes a game when he should be getting starter minutes.

Nuggets are definitely for real and they were just as good as when they were barely over 500. I predicted this splurge and I honestly expect them to firmly keep the fifth seed or outright pass the Grizzlies.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:58 pm
Blackfoot wrote:Disagree, I think they are winning in spite of Karl this year. He's had a lot of wacky rotations and bad set plays. I know that his inbound plays are some of the worst in the league. The team has a hard time getting it in and when they do it rarely produces a good shot. He only plays Mcgee 24 minutes a game when he should be getting starter minutes.

Nuggets are definitely for real and they were just as good as when they were barely over 500. I predicted this splurge and I honestly expect them to firmly keep the fifth seed or outright pass the Grizzlies.

Interesting.

It's tough for me to give a team loads of legitimacy when they don't have a star. Even Billips stood out on the old Pistons team that supposedly didn't have one superstar. To me, Denver's best player is Iguodala and he's the third wheel on any other team in the top 6 seeds. I know they've got a lot of talent; they basically run 2 deep at every position. But I have a hard time believing they'll be this good next year. I just need to see a guy leap out ahead of the pack and take the reigns. Be it Faried or Lawson or Gallo, somebody needs to establish that it's THEIR team.

I also disagree on the slight towards Karl; he's carved out suitable roles for guys like Gallinari and Koufus (who previously couldn't figure out how to contribute meaningfully to NBA teams), he's kept Andre Miller fresh and durable, while balancing out his minutes against Lawson (who Denver seems to be building around), he's kept McGee's head in the game better than anyone, he's got the team buying into the all-for-one mentality. Say what you want about his X's and O's (even though I believe bad fundamental coaches don't usually get 20 year tenures), the guy is an A+ motivator, has awe-inspiring clout, and is a terrific handler of egos.

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:50 pm
Yeah, he is a players coach, definitely. All of them love him. And that's half the job, getting guys to buy in.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:55 pm
This is becoming a joke...
This season is not a flop.

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:59 pm
loyaltyisacurse wrote:This is becoming a joke...

Not an enjoyable joke though. One of those mean cruel ones.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:11 pm
Blackfoot wrote:
loyaltyisacurse wrote:This is becoming a joke...

Not an enjoyable joke though. One of those mean cruel ones.

I'm also a cardinals football fan and om starting to feel like I did watching them start 4 and 0 only to wind up 5 and 11.
This season is not a flop.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:24 pm
would Nuggets fall apart without Karl and Andre Miller? Think Miller has the same effect on a team that Kidd has - like having 2 head coaches. like 32 said they don't have a real star, but maybe they are making the case that you don't need one to win? Or maybe their players are just underrated. gotta admit that year after year, I expect them to fall back to earth and it just doesn't happen.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:04 am
Karl is a veteran coach and he probably improve his coaching philosophy through the years to adapt to the players he get from the GM. The Masai Ujiri created cap space, added assets and depth on every position on the roster, and flexibility throughout the roster for trade opportunity. Most of their depth are good young role player pieces. The injury bug hasn't hit Nuggets hard and coach Karl been utilize their strength which is good depth. They don't have a star now, but they can still win games or if management thinks there a star who can be had in a trade they have the assets to trade for the star.

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:34 pm
Too lazy to find the link but Mark Jackson is fed up, but I am fed up with his coaching lately. He said something to the extent players are going to have to fight for there playing time, (am guessing he is talking about Klay, Bogut, Barnes). Things need to change, its early but they need to start playing with some urgency.

Also some games ago Bogut called out his teammates about leaving their man open while playing defense, I agree, but again it because the warriors should not be playing zone. You keep losing, but continue playing the zone, leaving opponent open, smh. Its too obvious.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball