Rookie appreciation post...

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:40 pm
Cause they are in for close to 38 minutes per game? Harrison doesn't have the luxury of minutes to improve that number if team starts bad. While those two have plenty of time.

That's your opinion, you are entitled to one, though, there's no reason to try and make it a fact, when it's not. I respect your opinion, even though I do not agree with it.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:48 pm
Barnes is lookin good against the Hawks though.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:51 pm
Lol. Yeah, just needed some more looks. Too many scorers on the team, not enough balls to go around.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:25 am
Nice little debate you guys have going here.
Just to chime in my 2 cents, I really do think that their playing time is Matchup driven right now.
Harison plays more of a traditional SF and can play some bigger SGs.
In my opinion he plays better D on the perimeter then Green, becase he is quicker and longer.
He is also a better scorer and spaces the floor out more then Green.

Green is better inside, and can bang at the 3, but has been seeing most of his time as a backup PF.
Typically Landry will come in to replace the C, and then Green lately will replace Lee.
At times I have seen AB come in at the C and Landry at the 4, and Green maybe at the 3, but usually they don't stay with that lineup very long, as Jack and Curry will play the guards and Klay the SF.

So right now I really think it is match-up driven. Both players have had good rookie campaigns and bring something different, however both have been inconsistent. If our squad was fully healthy, I wouldn't give any SF mins to Green to be honest, as those should go to Barnes and B. Rush, but I would still like to see him playing at the PF spot 10 - 15 mins a game.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:58 am
Agreed, GSW Hoops Fan. Last night I took notice of Green's positioning, and man, he does it really well, he is always where the ball is after the shot, so he gets his rebounds. And like I said as well, his perimeter D isn't great, so I like him playing inside, and his shot, that is inconsistent, is better suited for the PF position, where he can stretch the court occasionally.

Basically, I believe he is better suited for a PF than for a SF position. Mostly because of his inside D, which is great, and his lack of good shooting for the outside, and lack of ability to create for himself. Inside he can grab an offensive rebound, and could hit some putbacks. So, over 10 minutes per game, 15 probably, is what he should play, mostly at PF, and then some at SF when opposing team is playing some slower and bigger guys at the SF.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:15 pm
Guybrush wrote:Agreed, GSW Hoops Fan. Last night I took notice of Green's positioning, and man, he does it really well, he is always where the ball is after the shot, so he gets his rebounds. And like I said as well, his perimeter D isn't great, so I like him playing inside, and his shot, that is inconsistent, is better suited for the PF position, where he can stretch the court occasionally.

Basically, I believe he is better suited for a PF than for a SF position. Mostly because of his inside D, which is great, and his lack of good shooting for the outside, and lack of ability to create for himself. Inside he can grab an offensive rebound, and could hit some putbacks. So, over 10 minutes per game, 15 probably, is what he should play, mostly at PF, and then some at SF when opposing team is playing some slower and bigger guys at the SF.

I'd say that's a fair assessment. Because he lacks elite athleticism, his perimeter D on SF's lacks a bit. However, this is a guy that needs to be on the court. His toughness and BB IQ show that. Kid is going to be a player in the league for a long time.

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:51 pm
Draymond Green plays the closing five minutes more than Barnes and still posts better efficiency marks. I feel like a broken record but Barnes has the higher ceiling and the lower floor. Barnes has the tools and athleticism to be great, but right now, he has been worse than Green. Green will probably always be a nice role player on a team, a Sefolosha type ceiling. Barnes, who may be worse right now has a ceiling around what Gay, Iggy, and Deng are right now.

I'd take Barnes for his career, but for this year, I'd take Green. Green is simply better right now.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:39 am
Barnes did great against Phoenix today scoring something like 21 points. What was more impressive was the way he got those points -- all inside. I think this kids underestimates his athleticism. He claims that he isn't much of a dunker, and that he's been stumbling into dunks, but I think if he just takes on the mind-set of a slasher, he'll be really big for this team.

I want to talk about Green though. I was on this dude's jock at the beginning of the season, but as of late, it seems like he's doing more harm than good. The only thing that he has done well lately is rebounding. As for defense and shooting, that's entirely different story. We all knew his shooting was horrible, and that has continued. Usually though, he makes up for it on the defensive end. Now he's not doing terribly on the defensive side of the ball or anything, but he isn't outstanding either. The only reason I was ok with the inefficient scoring was because he played stellar defense. He was particularly terrible when we played Dallas and against Phoenix he was no different. Mark Jackson gives his players a really long leash, because if it were up to me, RJ would be getting the bulk of the reserve 3 minutes.

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:41 am
Oh, and I'm really confused about Biedrins moving up the depth chart over Ezeli. He got 3 fouls in 4 minutes today. Dude needs to get a clue.

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:19 am
8th ave wrote:Oh, and I'm really confused about Biedrins moving up the depth chart over Ezeli. He got 3 fouls in 4 minutes today. Dude needs to get a clue.

Ezeli is in the dog house because he let the Bucks and Bulls front court kill him on the boards.
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:14 pm
Green, Ezeli, and Barnes. All contributing on a playoff team. Barnes for most improved player next year. We're going to need it.

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:54 pm
Can't recall such rookies coming up big, espceially Green who hit the big three near the end and he's a 2nd rounder.

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:33 pm
Barnes !!!!
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:29 pm
Barnes in the All Rookie First Team. Not bad for a 7th draft pick.

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:59 pm
warriorsstepup wrote:My expectations were high for Barnes, he started slow, but man has he come around. He was highly touted coming out of high school. I am sure he was getting looks as a middle schooler, and it continued throughout. The hype died down while at UNC, because expectations were just too high, plus he didn't show up during tournament time when the games counted.

This could easily be Barnes team, he has the size and the skill. I was worried earlier in the season, thought he was too passive during games, but things are different now, he has become more assertive.

Barnes can be our go to guy.

Our most complete player, Curry the most skilled, but Barnes the most complete.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball