21 -10: I have to admit I am surprised

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:43 pm
If you told me that Bogut was not going to be playing, I would never have predicted this. With the addition of Jack and Landry, I could have seen them being over .500 at this point, but that's about it. Those two guys have given them everything you could have expected and more.

Also, the rookies have been a lot better than I would have thought.....I would have expected their contributions to be a lot less than they have been. Barnes I would expect a little something from....but hell, a lot of rookies don't even get on the floor much, let alone make big contributions.

Let's see how well they sustain this. What's great about this team is they all appear to be quality people. From interviews I've seen of the players, there do not appear to be any head cases or ego jerks on the team. They all seem like great guys, and team guys. I really commend the Warriors management for putting together this group, and making such a significant turnaround and step forward in such a short time.

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:20 pm
I knew they would play well this season, but this was alot better than I would've imagined. Major shout out to the front office for the picks and also the free agents they brought in. As it stands the warriors are covered at every spot, double depth at each position, as we see now, that is showing at our favor. With the injury to Bogut and Rush, we still have players that have filled in admirally, all playing at high levels.

But this month will tell us alot, January will be tough month, it will also cement our position in the league. And I mean cement our position even without Bogut, and when Bogut returns we should then be better.

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:32 am
Better ownership, better front office, better coaching, better roster and no more losers like Cohan-Twardzik-St. Jean-Mullin-Riley!
Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:20 pm
uptempo wrote:Better ownership, better front office, better coaching, better roster and no more losers like Cohan-Twardzik-St. Jean-Mullin-Riley!

Yeah you hear people say it all the time, in regard to any sort of business or organization, how it all comes from the top down. But it really is true. There are a few exceptions to the rule (Donald Sterling is just lucky right now) but usually that's how it works.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:14 pm
How about "Against all odds" motto for this season, like we had "We believe" era? Or is it too lame?

When I look at the All-Star voting, how much attention we get in the media (in the top news I couldn't find one saying Warriors beat Clippers)...it seems like we are still old lousy Warriors, when, in fact, we are close to being top 5 team in the league.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:40 pm
uptempo wrote:Better ownership, better front office, better coaching, better roster and no more losers like Cohan-Twardzik-St. Jean-Mullin-Riley!

Stephen Curry and David Lee are both Chris Mullin players. :wink:

And Riley is still our head scout. I have no qualms over the drafting since his arrival. :dontknow:
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:21 pm
You can make a long list of things that have surprised me (Curry staying healthy, Lee breaking out, rookie contributions, Jack/Landry making a huge difference, etc.) but the one that's probably surprised me the most is that Biedrins is actually contributing. I NEVER thought I would see him do anything worthwhile in a W's uniform again. Glad to be wrong.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:09 pm
32 wrote:

And Riley is still our head scout. I have no qualms over the drafting since his arrival. :dontknow:

I don't know if this was Mullins fault or not, but trading J-Rich after the we believe era was a huge mistake.
Specially since we got a rookie back that never turned into anything. Then following that up by not retaining B. Davis.... those two were the heart of sould of the we believe team. Hind sight is 20-20, but as I recall most people didn't like that when it happened.

Then again there was some reports that those were not Mully's decisions... so we can never know. Also, the trade for Stephen Jackson and Al Harrington proved to be a stroke of genius. So no way in the world would I call Mully a loser, but I still not convinced he was a great GM... might have been a good one, but not a great.

As far as Riley... how can you not give him partial credit for our recent success? He was a big part in the draft for Curry and Klay. He was a huge part in getting Lee. He was a part of getting Bogut (yet to see how that pans out). I think it was a team effort, but he was a big part of it. I think the ownership knows that and recognizes his talent at scouting talent and evaluating them, and that is why he is one of the few that is still part of the team.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Rookie
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:02 am
In addition to the signings and the drafts, I think the critical thing the management did is realizing they had to get rid of Monta if they wanted to improve. This got the team passing more, and got everyone playing like a team. Nobody stands around and watches anymore. Everyone is active and everyone is involved. It's just better basketball. Yeah, we'll have to wait and see with Bogut, but all evidence says it's been addition by subtraction already.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:19 am
hobbes wrote:You can make a long list of things that have surprised me (Curry staying healthy, Lee breaking out, rookie contributions, Jack/Landry making a huge difference, etc.) but the one that's probably surprised me the most is that Biedrins is actually contributing. I NEVER thought I would see him do anything worthwhile in a W's uniform again. Glad to be wrong.

Making him tradeable now, best value he'll probably ever have.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Rookie
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:33 pm
migya wrote:
hobbes wrote:You can make a long list of things that have surprised me (Curry staying healthy, Lee breaking out, rookie contributions, Jack/Landry making a huge difference, etc.) but the one that's probably surprised me the most is that Biedrins is actually contributing. I NEVER thought I would see him do anything worthwhile in a W's uniform again. Glad to be wrong.

It's nice to see him playing better lately, but I don't know how tradeable he is with that contract. Who wants to pay $9 million for somebody that plays 10 minutes ? I guess he has some value but it's likely they'd have to take another overpaid player in the deal. They're probably stuck with him till his contract expires, and anyway, they actually need him, or somebody like him, especially with Bogut out. He's probably going to end up playing out his contract as a Warrior. As hobbes says we should just be happy that he's making a contribution.

I don't understand what's up with not being able to shoot free throws. What is that ? Some kind of mental block thing...It's like the mental gets all disturbed, and makes the physical all messed up. Look how he shoots. His knees don't even bend. Don't they tell him these things ? It's so weird...

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:32 pm
J1000 wrote:
migya wrote:

It's nice to see him playing better lately, but I don't know how tradeable he is with that contract. Who wants to pay $9 million for somebody that plays 10 minutes ? I guess he has some value but it's likely they'd have to take another overpaid player in the deal. They're probably stuck with him till his contract expires, and anyway, they actually need him, or somebody like him, especially with Bogut out. He's probably going to end up playing out his contract as a Warrior. As hobbes says we should just be happy that he's making a contribution.

I don't understand what's up with not being able to shoot free throws. What is that ? Some kind of mental block thing...It's like the mental gets all disturbed, and makes the physical all messed up. Look how he shoots. His knees don't even bend. Don't they tell him these things ? It's so weird...

Beans has no trade value, what so ever, we are better off keeping him on our team, and getting what we are from him, that seems like the only choice actually.

Free throws is all about mechanic and repetition, and other factors including mental issues, he looks real uncomfortable on the line.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:01 am
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:
32 wrote:

I don't know if this was Mullins fault or not, but trading J-Rich after the we believe era was a huge mistake.
Specially since we got a rookie back that never turned into anything. Then following that up by not retaining B. Davis.... those two were the heart of sould of the we believe team. Hind sight is 20-20, but as I recall most people didn't like that when it happened.

Then again there was some reports that those were not Mully's decisions... so we can never know. Also, the trade for Stephen Jackson and Al Harrington proved to be a stroke of genius. So no way in the world would I call Mully a loser, but I still not convinced he was a great GM... might have been a good one, but not a great.

As far as Riley... how can you not give him partial credit for our recent success? He was a big part in the draft for Curry and Klay. He was a huge part in getting Lee. He was a part of getting Bogut (yet to see how that pans out). I think it was a team effort, but he was a big part of it. I think the ownership knows that and recognizes his talent at scouting talent and evaluating them, and that is why he is one of the few that is still part of the team.

The two strikes you mentioned were not actually Mullin's fault:

The rumor was that the J-Rich trade was Part 1 of a 2-Step deal to get Kevin Garnett. With Wally Szczerbiak on Boston's roster (plus no one of note besides Pierce), the buzz was that Golden State appeared poised as favorites to land Garnett and Boston had no chance. If you recall, Garnett even publically stated that he would veto a trade to the Celtics (most speculated, due to his feud with Szscerbiak). Supposedly, Mullin was to parlay two separate deals to the T-Wolves: the first being a package of Monta Ellis, Al Harrington, and the #8 prospect for Garnett. The second was the J-Rich trade exception for a bad contract or fillers. Word is, Minnesota coveted Al Thornton and the deal began to fall apart when the Warriors selected Brandan Wright due to a lack of communication with Wolves management. And when Boston made the deal for Ray Allen (sending Wally to Seattle), Garnett became more willing to make a Celtics trade happen. But if you believe the whispers, the only reason Mullin dealt Richardson was in an attempt to land Garnett 2 years removed from his MVP. As it turned out, Boston won a title the following year and Golden State rotted.

Secondly, Mullin had a 5-year extension worked out with Baron Davis that then-President, Robert Rowell, vetoed (in retrospect, a good decision... But as you mentioned, not a very popular one at the time). Rowell's dealings with Stephen Jackson in spite of Mullin, his undermining Chris' BD extension, and the various political shots being launched backstage are said to be the fuel expediting Mullin's departure (also an unpopular decision, as Mully was the only competent GM figure the Warriors had in 20 years - effectively ending the playoff drought and making the team vibrant and relevant again.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:59 am
If Bogut can return with little to no complications, then Biedrins could be easily moved next season as he becomes an expiring contract. Especially if Ezeli improves, which I think he will, then it would make Biedrins expendable. Getting depth back for Biedrins would be the only option.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:08 pm
32 wrote:
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:
32 wrote:

The two strikes you mentioned were not actually Mullin's fault:

The rumor was that the J-Rich trade was Part 1 of a 2-Step deal to get Kevin Garnett. With Wally Szczerbiak on Boston's roster (plus no one of note besides Pierce), the buzz was that Golden State appeared poised as favorites to land Garnett and Boston had no chance. If you recall, Garnett even publically stated that he would veto a trade to the Celtics (most speculated, due to his feud with Szscerbiak). Supposedly, Mullin was to parlay two separate deals to the T-Wolves: the first being a package of Monta Ellis, Al Harrington, and the #8 prospect for Garnett. The second was the J-Rich trade exception for a bad contract or fillers. Word is, Minnesota coveted Al Thornton and the deal began to fall apart when the Warriors selected Brandan Wright due to a lack of communication with Wolves management. And when Boston made the deal for Ray Allen (sending Wally to Seattle), Garnett became more willing to make a Celtics trade happen. But if you believe the whispers, the only reason Mullin dealt Richardson was in an attempt to land Garnett 2 years removed from his MVP. As it turned out, Boston won a title the following year and Golden State rotted.

Secondly, Mullin had a 5-year extension worked out with Baron Davis that then-President, Robert Rowell, vetoed (in retrospect, a good decision... But as you mentioned, not a very popular one at the time). Rowell's dealings with Stephen Jackson in spite of Mullin, his undermining Chris' BD extension, and the various political shots being launched backstage are said to be the fuel expediting Mullin's departure (also an unpopular decision, as Mully was the only competent GM figure the Warriors had in 20 years - effectively ending the playoff drought and making the team vibrant and relevant again.

Thanks for the history leason :D I only watched games back then,didn't follow them as closely as I do now. As just a viewer, those transactions did seem "odd".
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball