San Franciso 49ers thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:56 pm
Chiefs QB Matt Cassel has been awful due to bad play calling and a horrible offensive line. Fitzpatrick is better than Alex Smith, but barely better. It's really close. It's basically the same thing, so same result. Cardinals have worst offensive line in the history of football, if they want a QB they should fix that first. Browns and Jaguars are rebuilding, I hope they don't get Smith and waste him for the next couple of years as a stopgap. Sanchez does suck. Alex Smith to the Jets makes sense. That should probably happen.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:02 pm
It does make sense the most...the Jets deal. But, that's the exact reason why it is unlikely...Jets and logic lately just don't go together. lol Maybe now after some changes in their FO they start making smart moves.

Oh, and Fitz never had success Smith did, nor did he ever showed that he can play smart as Alex does. Alex is much better at reading defenses, I think people take that for granted, hence he throws few INTs. Fitz is poor man's Alex, in my opinion, he plays that short to middle ranged passes, but he is not as precise, and throws a lot of picks. So, I would say that Alex would be a big improvement.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:33 am
How about an Alex Smith for Sanchez trade..

Unfair on paper for the fortyniners.. but maybe Jim Harbaugh might be able to work with this trojan and reform him into the viable backup he was always destined to be.

Couldn't see the Niners doing this deal other then doing right by Alex Smith and sending him to a team where they know he would get an opportunity!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:57 am
Well, the problem with that is salary. I think that Sanchez is supposed to get around 8 millions next season, which is even more than Alex's 7.5 or something close to that. And I think that salary was one of the reasons that made them put Kaep in. They will need salary room for FAs next season.

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:18 am
Guybrush wrote:It does make sense the most...the Jets deal. But, that's the exact reason why it is unlikely...Jets and logic lately just don't go together. lol Maybe now after some changes in their FO they start making smart moves.

Oh, and Fitz never had success Smith did, nor did he ever showed that he can play smart as Alex does. Alex is much better at reading defenses, I think people take that for granted, hence he throws few INTs. Fitz is poor man's Alex, in my opinion, he plays that short to middle ranged passes, but he is not as precise, and throws a lot of picks. So, I would say that Alex would be a big improvement.

W-L he hasn't, but in terms of points they are exactly the same. Fitzpatrick is underrated because of a really bad defense. I mean, Smith didn't throw an interception for a while and he is good at not turning it over. That's fair, he is better in that. I feel though, that has a lot to do with the product of the system. Tons of runs, tons of short passes. It's part of the reason why Niners led the league in field goals last year. I'd give Smith a slight edge over Fitz, but I am not sure how much of that is because of their systems. I think Bills would still be bad/mediocre with Smith either way.

I bet Jets could get a wild card with Smith though. Their defense will be better next year with Revis and not only that but Sanchez was the worst rated QB this year. Improve the line a bit, improve the running game, and there is no way Smith is not a significant upgrade over Sanchez.
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:45 pm
Thank God Justin Smith is gonna play this weekend. Undoubtedly the biggest reason why we needed that bye week. It's good that Ricky Jean got the extended pt, because he really started looking better (as did our pass rush) in the 2nd half of the cards game, but they just can't protect the qb anyways.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:16 am
How you feeling about Kaepernick Guybrush? =D> =D> =D>

bet you feel like a clutz when Pawno proved you wrong. :banghead:
ALEX WHO???
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:12 am
Yeah, it's really bad when you prove someone wrong. lol

Still, he played a good game, I just want him to be consistent. We, so far this season, win 2 games, and then get blown out in the third. Now that third is coming again.

And I don't see the point with Alex. If you were trying to prove me that Kaep is better than him, and use this game to make your point, and in the same post you bash the guy who did the same thing last year...it kind of loses credibility.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:34 pm
I just wanna say that I'm glad Kaep proved me wrong by improving rapidly his mistakes in the game. That was my bigest concern at the beginning, now he is playing it safe, and he really didn't throw deep balls this game, he looked a lot like Alex. Which is not a bad thing in my book.

The only thing left that is bothering me is that clock management. We always waste timeouts, or get few delay of the game calls.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:45 pm
I think yesterday was the first time we really saw Kaep win us a game that, at least imo, Alex wouldn't have been able to win. The Falcons really brought it on D. Yes, we needed ATL to do their signature choke job to a degree, but this was a great job by the players and coaching staff to stay calm, withstand their early run and pull this one out.

WE'RE GOING TO THE MOTHERF*CKING SUPERBOWL!!!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:34 am
Alex to the chiefs for the 34th overall and a conditional mid-rounder next season. This is more than I could have asked for. A friend said, "Patriots mode engaged." Yeah but with one huge difference - new rookie wage scale. That makes at least 15 picks thus far in this upcoming draft. Look for Harbalke to deal some of those away for future picks and perhaps move up this year.

DL and CB should be areas of focus, with S being a distant 3rd if we feel like saving some money and not retaining Goldson. Keep in mind that or 1st pick last year only played in one game, maybe the dude is a bust, but I have a feeling he was considered a project with a lot of upside from the moment Trent Balke put his name in that envelop. I can't wait to see what we do next - I love what our front office is doing.

EDIT: the mid-round pick is a 3rd, potentially a 2nd :shock: :shock: And ESPN reported that it is a total of 4 picks... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:34 pm
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/3/1/ ... erspective

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:38 pm
Yeah, I agree that he consistently improved and it wasn't all Harbaugh. I think a lot of it has to do with the constant influx of top talent. Gore, Veron Davis, great Oline. Chiefs system is pass first and they have no offensive line. I don't Smith is the kind of QB that can play in a pass first offense with a bad offensive line. But I could be wrong and he really has made great strides.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:51 pm
Yeah, but even the elite QBs need talent around them to succeed. Those players Alex had in the beginning are long gone from the NFL.

And I think you are mistaken about Chiefs' OL. They were good in rushing, and even their pass pro isn't bad, they just had two QBs who played awful, and were TO machines.

I agree, though, with you. It's a work in progress. It can turn out to be great for both Smith and Chiefs. Or, it can all end after just one year, or even before that (though, that is not likely).
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:34 am
Blackfoot wrote:I think the Seahawks win the division, but primarily because they get two games against two second place finishers and Niners get two division winners. And it was decided by half a game last year.

I'm biased, but I just like the way that the 9ers are conducting themselves more than the Hawks - with patience; waiting to get their guy at the right price. 9ers are the Patriots of the West, they understand that draft picks are worth more than the players you can potentially draft because it is the currency in the NFL.

I bet Seattle is wishing that they exercised a more patience now that Dumervil is available after way over paying Avril... Patience young John Schneider, watch and learn from the genius of Trent Balke.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board