San Franciso 49ers thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:27 am
What are you talking about? Alex scored 4 TDs before. Though, it's not that hard when defense puts you in good situations.

Kaep played good. But he is turning the ball too much. 1 INT plus 4-5 fumbles. If it was any defense that is at least slightly better than that of New England, it would have been real difficult to win the game. Way to look just one part of his game Pawno. There are too many concerns still. He can change that game in either direction, any given Sunday, be it in favor of his team, or the opposing. We are happy for now that D is playing great.

Although he is playing better, and did some things that I liked last night (that pass to Crabs in double coverage was awesome), I still don't see him better than Alex, especially not by that margin you make it out to be. Turnovers will be the end of you, sooner or later, if you don't fix them. The worst thing you can do in a game, and he makes those a lot. Not encouraging for PO games. Hopefully, he'll get it done.

And NE managed to get back in the game, cause when offense wasn't given ball in NE's red zone, we struggled. Reading your post, haven't I watched the game, I would have thought that it was mistake free game, and that it was a blowout.
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:11 pm
Yeah, Kaep needs to shore up those fundamental things that don't really make you a great QB, but prevent you from being a horrible one. His clock management was far better this week, but those problems with the snap makes me cringe. Guy is right, if Kaep doesn't get that stuff figured out ASAP, we are doomed against better NFC opponents.

While Kaep's stuggles with the little things is concerning, I'm sure they will be minimized with Harbs and Alex helping him out over the next couple of weeks. My bigger concerns are, kicking and Justin Smith's health. Both of these are far bigger issues, IMO. Hopefully Justin is ok and can be ready in time for the playoffs, because without him, we are screwed. Seriously, our no. 1 D goes to middle of the pack without that guy - our secondary and LBs are still good and hold their own, but our pass rush is a shell of its former self with out that guy freeing up our sack guys. All we need to look at is the tale of two different games last night for evidence of how much this guy means to the D - with healthy Justin Smith, 3 pts, without 31 pts...

We need to bring in a new kicker like 3 weeks ago. Akers' inability to even hit 30+ yards has impacted our game planning and play calling. I don't know what the problem is, but I don't care. something needs to be done about this situation right now, because if we miss out on another SB because of one guy on special teams, I will goes insane!!!
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:19 pm
Alex Smith was not slinging the rock for 4 TD's until his 4th, 5th year. .. You might be able to prove me wrong on that stat, but all i saw with Alex Smith was a whole lot of growing pains before he became a competent option at QB.

It must be noted that it's not all Kaep for the success. Jim Harbaugh is a master working with these guys. I'm sure If Kaep was on the raiders he'd be slinging interceptions left, right and centre.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:28 pm
I agree, JREED. I don't know what's with Akers, though, partially, I'm glad, because now we are finally going more for a TD, we are not settling for FGs as much, cause he is missing them. lol

Justin is a great team player. He is the building stone of our defense, without him, everything might crumble.

Pawno, players that Alex played with at the start of his career, are nowhere near the players Kaep is playing with now. Also, that's one of the reasons Alex was playing great as well, he wasn't magically "healed" by Harbaugh. Even though Harbaugh has helped of course. Put anyone in that situation, old Niners' teams, and they will fail, like you said with Kaep and Raiders. No matter how good you are, it's a team sport, and if you don't have 2 secs to throw the damn ball, **** it all.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:19 pm
totally agree guybrush.. Alex smith played on some shocking teams. Niners Offensive Line looks good with Draft picks of Davis & Iupati.

But if you take the sample size of Harbaugh reign. Ive seen more in 4 games of Kaepernick then ive seen in the previous 25 games of Alex Smith to know that Kaepernick is the future.

Im pretty sure Harbaugh went with Kaep because he can make throws that Alex just can't. The Arm on Kaepernick is big time. you guys got a legit guy now.
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:00 pm
speechless. Wilson > Kaep. Justin Smith = MVP both side of the ball. Greg Roman = Overrated, gimmicky, repetitive - seriously, how many screens can the other team blow up before you take a f*cking hint!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:33 am
This is what I was afraid all along. Kaep had luck for the most part. The only good the D he played were the Bears, and they played awful that game. After that, he had Rams, and we lost that one, beside that, all pathetic defenses. So, he looked better than he really is. He just isn't ready. When our D is not lights out, we lose, it's simple as that. "Better chance to win", "Hot hand"...all rubbish. Harbaugh got over his head, thinking that the offense Alex thrived in is good for everyone. Stronger arm, that's one more thing that will help us, nothing to lose. Yeah, right, cause reading defenses, quick decision, precision passing, that's all granted, right? Smith was just a lucky guy to play under him? The point is, this is the offense that fits Alex's play style, and we had it going, and we changed it...for no other reason than to see that Harbaugh picked our QB of the future. Like that couldn't wait for the next season at least, when we were in the win now mode.

It's awful when you get embarrassed like that on the national TV. Kaep couldn't hit the water even if he fell out of a boat (in John Madden's words) until the garbage time. And the D was all day on the field.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:48 pm
Wow you really are a negative nancy laying the blame on Kaepernick feet like that.

I've met my fair share of HATERS.. But you take the cake =D>

I'd like to say that most teams that go into QWest Field end up losing.. The statistics are there to back it up.

When a dominate team is able to jump out the box like that and put 21 points on ya. It really can be hard to get back into the game against a equally as vaunted defense such as the seachickens.

Anyways Harbaugh has made his bed & I'm sure it would be seen as a panic move if he goes back to Alex Smith for this final game. Kaepernick is the future & you will live and die with this kid until Harbaugh and the GM draft/sign otherwise.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:16 pm
I'm not a hater, I'm being realistic. I don't get that, when people say you are hater because you have your opinion and you stick by it. It's childish, to say the least. I haven't seen anything to change my opinion, more so, by every game my opinion is getting stronger, yet I am a hater for some reason.

The reason why Niners were 21 points behind, for a good reason, is because offense was one and done. We started the game with three passes and Kaepernick couldn't connect on a single one. He continued in that fashion throughout the first half, and in the second he improved when the game was already out of the reach. I just can't believe that there are people who will not blame QB for that game. Granted, defense didn't have it's day, but that just goes to prove what I've been saying all along, that we can not win with Kaep if our D doesn't play great. We can, when the opposing team's D is even worse.

I didn't say in my last post that Alex is going, and should play. I know that he won't. I'm just rationalizing why I was saying all along that it is a bad move. It's more like you are blinded for some reason, you are going to like Kaep no matter what, and he is not even on your team...is it a crush on his strong arm, or tats, ::razz: I don't know, but I don't see why I have to fall on my knees before him.

Oh, and since you want stats, 49ers won last 4 games against the Seahawks. One this season, against that same D, and guess what, Kaep wasn't a QB then...but I guess reason has no place here when you are being called a hater, when you try to give reasons why you think what you think, and give some stats that support that point of view.

Sorry if I sound a bit pissed, I'm not, just had a little sleep last night (cause of the Niners), and I'm a bit tired. :)

Just tell me one thing, you really believe that Harbaugh did the right thing? It is OK to switch a QB mid season, when all was going well, and jeopardize your whole season? We had a team for a SB, and look at us last night. I'm not gonna mention injuries, cause I guess you won't agree that Kaepernick put our players in a position to get injured with bad decisions and throws, but we can agree that wasting all of your time outs in 1st, and 3rd quarter is not what a team looking for a SB run is doing, right?

We are stuck with Kaep, I'm well aware of that fact, I was just hoping for a SB. And now, if we lose to the Cards, we might lose the division. That's the total opposite of the direction in which this team was going prior to Alex's concussion.

I call things as I see them. I was the first to say that Alex played pathetic against the Giants this year, and I will always say it...but when I think that Alex is better than Kaep, and when I say Kaep has played bad, I'm a hater. I just don't like the move, never did, and I'm always going to give reasons why I think that. You can tell me what actually got better since Alex was benched, I'm more than happy to hear it. Or just tell me where I'm wrong, what things that I wrote are not truth? I would just like to hear a reason why you are calling me out? Just for having a different opinion? :)

And yes, all of the teams this year lost at Qwest field, but you won't see many SB contenders getting embarrassed like that on national TV.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:36 pm
Guybrush I called you a hater because 90% of your original post was laying blame at Kaep.

At least Jreed post previously alluded to other factors about Defense lacking & playcalling by Greg Roman.

Just tell me one thing, you really believe that Harbaugh did the right thing? It is OK to switch a QB mid season, when all was going well, and jeopardize your whole season? We had a team for a SB, and look at us last night. I'm not gonna mention injuries, cause I guess you won't agree that Kaepernick put our players in a position to get injured with bad decisions and throws, but we can agree that wasting all of your time outs in 1st, and 3rd quarter is not what a team looking for a SB run is doing, right?

I still think you have a Quarterback that can lead you to a superbowl. I trust Jim Harbaugh opinion on quarterbacking more then a diehard Warriors/Niners fan from Serbia 8) Sorry hope I don't sound harsh and not like I am talking you out of the right to express your opinion. But there's a reason Jed York made this guy one of the highest paid coaches in the NFL.. BECAUSE he knows what he is doing.

Did the Peyton Manning fiasco not teach you anything in regards to Harbaugh not believing in Alex Smith? Dude should of signed with the Dolphins from the GetGo because I believe he'd be playing meaningful ball and doing a better job then that rookie down there.

I think the reason why Seattle had a lot of luck last night was also because the Seattle Defense is use to Colin Kaepernick at training when they have Russell Wilson who can move like Kaep as well.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:56 pm
It's not him I blame, it's Harbaugh, I thought that is obvious. He is the one who put him in before he was ready. The reason why I'm mostly criticizing Kaep's play is because that could have been avoided. The other stuff, not so much. Defense had bad days before, injuries happened...those are things that happen, but switching a QB during a season in which you are playing good, never brought anything good.

I'm not asking you nor telling you to trust my opinion, I'm just saying what's on my mind, you can take something from it, or not, that is entirely up to you. I'm giving you arguments, so you could see that other perspective...I never said I mind if someone gave me arguments that would prove me wrong, or to make me question what I'm saying. That's a debate, and I love good ones. I just didn't see why you called me a hater, cause I never said anything bad about Kaep as a person, nor I said I dislike him. I was just saying that he is not ready, and I'm saying where I think he made a bad decision, so my argument holds some value. That's all.

Manning fiasco told me that you should be insane if you are not going after future HoF QB, one of the best ever. Other thing it tells me is that people tend to jump to comparisons between that situation, and this one. Is Kaep anywhere near Peyton Manning in any regard? lol :)

The other thing it tells me is that Harbaugh is a sweetmouthed hypocrite, and is saying one thing, and doing the other. After that incident with Schwartz I started questioning him as a person. My whole experience with other teams' fans is that they don't like him, they see him as a douche. Even though they still believe he is a good coach. And because he had a good season, with a team that he inherited, doesn't make me say that I agree with all he does, just because he is our HC. People were saying that same thing about guys who were questioning Singletary, cause he is "NFL coach" and you are just a fan...

I was never the sheep, and sane reason is something you have...you don't need to be in the NFL to think.

What's the point in blaming playcalling anymore? It's been conservative since last year. It's just that Alex isn't a QB now, so people started realizing that it wasn't a QB, but our OC. Which I wouldn't have noticed if I said "I trust in Roman, he is our OC, and I'm just a fan". ::razz: Just kidding, mate. :)

Best solution to this would have been if Harbaugh played Alex for the year, we make our push for a SB, we win, or fail, Alex is out, and Harbs can put his guy in, after one more year learning behind Alex (because all things Kaep lacks, Alex doesn't, and vice versa), and then has a whole offseason as a first QB of the Niners. That's it, that's how you do it.

You wouldn't hear me say a word if it was done like that, or with class at least...this way, my team is losing position, and of course I'm going to say what I don't like. I hope you can understand that. :) And see, I never said I think Kaep is awful. I was just saying that at this moment, Alex is better, and we should have let him play it through.

If I was from the USA, would you be more inclined to trust my judgement? ::razz:

By the way, would you be pissed if somehow Alex crosses the bridge for the next season? :)
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:22 pm
Ok I agree with you bro in regards to Payton Manning.

Only McCarthy, Bellechick & Sean Payton would not have the need to pick up the phone and try and get Payton Manning in for a workout.(maybe Shannahan & Ron Riveria who have the wunderkids of RGIII or Cam Newton need not bother) but The Jason Garretts, Andy Reids, Norv Turners who had supposedly franchise QB's at their position should/would/could of benefieted from having an elite guy like Payton this year and 2 of those guys will be getting fired.

I gotta give you a positive rep for that +1.

Because Harbaughs phone call to Payton was all about Payton Manning and nothing to do with his distrust in Alex Smith.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:27 pm
Hey, at least we are agreeing on something. That's a start. lol

You didn't tell me, would you mind Alex on the Raiders? I'm not teasing, just a question, cause it might happen, you never know.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:32 pm
Guybrush wrote:
By the way, would you be pissed if somehow Alex crosses the bridge for the next season? :)

You know I could definitely see that happening. I don't want it to happen because I absolutely hate my new coach and general manager for disrespecting 50 years of Al Davis tradition vertical game and reverting back to a WCO.

Raiders run game was all blazing last year because teams were scared that Denarius Moore and DHB would go deep and it really helped get our run game going. This WCO has been a disaster for the raiders because Carson Palmer just isn't mobile allthough he has had an unbelieveable season stats wise with the WCO because we've been losing big and he's been tryna claw us back into games.

If Alex Smith was to come to Oakland its because our cheapskate FO wants to cut Carson Palmer and bring in a little bit cheaper option in Smith.

Anyways Alex Smith would be wise to be some other coaches guy elsewhere next year. Still a serviceable QB for a team but Harbaugh handpick Kaepernick and id be suprised if we saw Smith throw another ball for the fortyniners ever again.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:55 pm
How much is Palmer making?

There are few teams I can see Smith play for next year:

1. Jets - Sanchez sucks. McElroy is not a starting caliber QB, even though I like the guy. And rumors are that Tebow will finally got to Jacksonville. The only negative for this to happen is that the Jets are giving to much money to Sanchez already. It's a bit hard to see them invest that much money in their starting and second string QB.

2. Browns - New owner, might want to change Weeden, even though he is their first round pick. Alex is his age, if not a year younger, and he has a lot more under his belt. He'd be good with Browns, has some weapons in Trent, Greg Little could be good if focused, and Josh Gordon.

3. Chiefs - Their QBs have played awful, so they might go for Alex. As I read, Alex is the best QB in most fans minds in this upcoming FA. Of course, if Niners don't manage to trade him somehow, but everyone knows that he will be cut later on, so no need to waste picks.

4. Jaguars - If they bring in Tebow, I don't see that as a possibility, but if not, Alex would be in a good place with Shorts and Blackmon emerging, Mercedes is close to Davis with good QB, they still have MJD, etc.

5. Bills - Not as likely, but he is better than Fitzpatrick by many people's opinion. Good weapons around him.

6. Cardinals - Definitely a possibility, and he will play Niners two times a year. Though, it's a bad place to go if they don't improve their OL, and improve it a lot.

Not in particular order.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board