Andrew Bogut Expectations

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

What sort of numbers do you expect out of Bogut once he's healthy?

20 and 10; he's on a better team than ever before and should thrive.
No votes
15 and 10; slightly better than his career averages.
No votes
13 and 9; about the same as his career numbers.
42%
10 and 8; next to Lee, his numbers should take a slight hit.
42%
5 and 5; he won't recover enough to play more than 20 minutes.
No votes
I don't care, his digits will suck, but he helps the Warriors win.
8%
Doesn't matter, Bogut's not the answer. Trade him.
8%

Total votes : 12

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:12 pm
Man, I am honestly excited to watch him play at 100 percent. Hopefully we can tread water while he is gone.

All Star
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:18 am
Just want to see him fully healthy and fully conditioned. I am interested to see how offensive game will look like. I am aware of his defensive presence and attitude he brings to the squad, now I will like to see him in the low blocks, his footwork, his moves, maybe a hook shot.
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:44 am
I hear you, warriorsstepup, but I'm afraid that's just not his game.

The Bucks were heavily influenced to deal Bogut due to his reoccurring health issues and the fact that they wanted to make a playoff run last season... but there are those in Milwaukee who'd tell you that Bogut hasn't improved at all since his rookie year on the offensive end. He doesn't have any strategy in the low post unless he's flat-out bullying a smaller 5. He's a smart team player with excellent footwork and (in theory) is an absolute wrecking ball to the rim, but you can't run anything but high post offense through him. He's a good option to initiate the guard's floppy packages and he's a flattening screen-setter in the pick-and-roll game, but Bogut has nothing of the post game guys like DeMarcus Cousins, Greg Monroe, or even Roy Hibbert have.

Realistically, with all the scoring options in Golden State, I truly think a 10-12 point average is what we're looking at. That's not bad considering he's an A+ defender and a kickass help on the boards, but those who are hoping to see low post savvy might be left wanting.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:42 pm
Andrew does have a shot. It's not like Chris Bosh/Tim Duncan range. But the reason you never see him shoot it because he is fundamentals first. he knows his role is to be the bruiser downlow so once he sets that screen at the top of the key you usually see him roll/flash to the hoop for a rebound.

There's a lot of soft 4/5's in the league. who could watch Bogut tape and see how it's done.. Oi Bosh your 7 foot tall. Time to put some meat on the bones and get dirty down low.

All Star
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:52 am
Great points concerning bogut. Watching him on the floor I can tell through his facial expression when he is pleases with his teammates and when he is not. He seems to care more about winning, protecting the rim and being a team player overall.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:39 am
PAWNO wrote:Andrew does have a shot. It's not like Chris Bosh/Tim Duncan range. But the reason you never see him shoot it because he is fundamentals first. he knows his role is to be the bruiser downlow so once he sets that screen at the top of the key you usually see him roll/flash to the hoop for a rebound.

There's a lot of soft 4/5's in the league. who could watch Bogut tape and see how it's done.. Oi Bosh your 7 foot tall. Time to put some meat on the bones and get dirty down low.

Well, despite my giddiness at the game you just described for Bogut, I gotta say: his jumper hasn't been the same since falling off the rim. Used to be, Bogut could stretch a stand-still J out to 15 feet on the baseline. I haven't seen him consistently hit that shot since coming back.

Aside from that, I'm absolutely enthused that Bogut isn't among those flowery, metrosexual big men that prefer working on their perimeter game rather than banging inside. My favorite Charles Barkley line of all time was regarding your example, Chris Bosh: "What do you call a forward that gets you 26 points and 5 rebounds?... A small forward."

Bogut brings what this team needs. He's tough, he's big, he changes shots, he protects the middle. I can do without a 12 foot jumper from my enforcer.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:29 pm
Bogut does have quite an allround game and that is what makes him a top 5 big to me. The defense he plays makes him so valuable, but I also don't want to see him shooting many jumpers, one or two a game if it is there is alright, but he can score close to the basket and again, has to do the defense, as well as rebound.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:21 am
Last night's game against OKC was a perfect instance of where the lack of Bogut was exposed.

OKC was free to heat up their jumpers all night due to an unstoppable free throw taxation on Warrior rookies and the fact that nobody inside was big enough to consistently ward Ibaka and Perkins out of the key. Not only that, but the only run Curry went on was when Scotty Brooks switched Perk onto him (?) :scratch:

Add in Bogut's lard-ass screens to free up Curry, his size in the middle to force Westbrook and Durant into a game full of jumpers, and the fact that OKC spends less time at the line without our undersized options slapping wrists on the drive...

And I'm not saying we'd have won, but damn I missed Bogut last night.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:59 am
Bump.

With losses to Orlando and Sacramento, "what Bogut brings" and the expectations of how he'll change this team seem more relevant than ever. Combined with the OKC loss, that's 3 tangible games where the lack of a center hurt us. And thus far, the only time it's been advantageous was in Miami.

Let's switch gears: rather than bother with his stat line, how many games do you predict Bogut will return and play this year? 40? 30? 10? None?

Personally, I no longer think the January 1st deadline is gonna fly. To me, we're looking at a minimum of post-all-star break... And it could be as long as a month before the playoffs. So I'm gonna go with 26 more games this year, putting his season total at 30. I would love to see more, but I dunno if it's possible.

And a terrible feeling in my gut says Bogut is gonna play 6 minutes in his return, come out for a breather, and never see the court the rest of the year...
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:42 am
Well, I'd be happy if he plays those 26 games, it would be enough for him to get in the rhythm for the playoffs. :mrgreen:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:04 am
There's 56 games left, starting tonight against the Cats.

If I put the over/under on Bogut's health to be 19 games... Who'd bet the over?
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:10 am
I say he comes back in Feb... they will give him a go before the all star break, then he can rest during the break to see how he is responding. So about 35 more games this season.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:50 pm
I'd say he won't be back before February and I think maybe even start of March, but yea, all depends on if the team keeps winning.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:17 pm
Bump.

After the all star break, when his back-to-back limitations are lifted, how many minutes can we realistically expect from Bogut? To me, he's either getting fatigued more or his ankle still isn't quite 100%. I've caught him limping a little bit and seen him get noticeably gassed later in games after starting extremely strong. And, again, he hasn't looked as spry and fluid since his incredible debut versus Toronto.

To me, if you want Bogut to be playing like Bogut, you can't give him more than 30 minutes until he proves he can handle that. Even when his minute restrictions are lifted, I still think he'll get progressively fatigued with more than 30 mins.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:03 pm
Since Bogut's first game back, I've been very disappointed with his return. I think we'll just have to live with it now and hope that the on-court chemistry improves sooner than later, because over his last few games, things haven't been so good. That game in Toronto is just a glimpse of good we can be, but we have to work towards it.

Right now, I'm very disappointed in the team's effort. For the past week tt was like watching the old warriors again. It's been several days now since I've watched/read ESPN or twitter. Sucks, man.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball