Last All-Star Latrell Sprewell (1997)

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

User avatar
Role Player
Posts: 291
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:21 am
Location: San Francisco
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:38 am
Guybrush wrote:With this play, they are both deserving of a spot. If somehow we don't see either of them on the West All-Star team, then I'm all for some kind of protest. Heck, I would help with a riot, if I wasn't so far away. lol



I was already thinking about that. How do we protest? I kind of have the sense already that unless there is an injury to one of the players that we won't get in the AS game. It happened to Baron in 08 and there is no reason why it wouldn't happen again. Plus there will be other teams that will have a losing record and have an all star, the Lakers maybe even 2. But the question is, does anybody care about the Warriors?
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3621
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:05 am
Location: Oakland California
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:24 am
Non of them are going to make the squad via voting. The first return have players like OJ mayo and other scrubs in front of Curry and Lee. The only way they get in is if the coaches decide on it.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Image
Image
Image

Image

All Star
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 1:57 am
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:44 am
Lin is ahead of Parker.

Embarrassing. Voters suck.
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 2425
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 4:21 pm
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:45 am
Yeah, just saw the votes so far...Asik, Lin, World Peace...on both sides some undeserving players are getting votes, yet there is not sight of Lee. And Lee is outperforming most of those guys. And he is also playing on a winning team. Up to this season we were telling ourselves that it is because we are losing team that we don't have players in the All-Star, but Rockets are not so good, Lakers are a losing team as a matter of fact...there's a bunch of other players there from the teams that are not as good, and those players are not even good, heck some of them haven't even played a game, yet they are there and Lee is not. **** that.

But, the sad truth is that voting is bringing money to the NBA, so it is here to stay. If they could at least give it less of a meaning...damn, people are retarded.
Image
Image
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 2425
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 4:21 pm
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:46 am
Stairway Man wrote:
Guybrush wrote:With this play, they are both deserving of a spot. If somehow we don't see either of them on the West All-Star team, then I'm all for some kind of protest. Heck, I would help with a riot, if I wasn't so far away. lol



I was already thinking about that. How do we protest? I kind of have the sense already that unless there is an injury to one of the players that we won't get in the AS game. It happened to Baron in 08 and there is no reason why it wouldn't happen again. Plus there will be other teams that will have a losing record and have an all star, the Lakers maybe even 2. But the question is, does anybody care about the Warriors?

I don't know. The petition comes to mind, but that never actually accomplished anything. :-k
Image
Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21385
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:33 pm
Guybrush wrote:Yeah, just saw the votes so far...Asik, Lin, World Peace...on both sides some undeserving players are getting votes, yet there is not sight of Lee. And Lee is outperforming most of those guys. And he is also playing on a winning team. Up to this season we were telling ourselves that it is because we are losing team that we don't have players in the All-Star, but Rockets are not so good, Lakers are a losing team as a matter of fact...there's a bunch of other players there from the teams that are not as good, and those players are not even good, heck some of them haven't even played a game, yet they are there and Lee is not. **** that.

But, the sad truth is that voting is bringing money to the NBA, so it is here to stay. If they could at least give it less of a meaning...damn, people are retarded.



The voting is only for the starting players, so five players. The West coaches pick the rest, as it should be and I do think Lee has a strong chance to get a spot. PGasol won't get it, the Lakers are so awful. Neither will Nash this season and maybe Harden won't either, as the Rockets are not winning that much.

I had read that it is no longer guards, forwards and Centers, but now backcourt and frontcourt, meaning Centers do not get in automatically now. That being as it is, MGasol might not get a spot, so Lee might get picked ahead of him. I'd say Dwight, BGriffin, ZRandolph and Duncan will get frontcourt spot and then it's Lee the frontrunner for the next frontcourt spot.

Same sort of thing with Curry. Lin won't get in. The guards likely to get a spot right now are CPaul, Kobe, Westbrook and Parker. I think Jamal Crawford is a real chance, as the Clippers are doing very well and he has been big for them.
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 5868
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 5:05 am
Location: Brisbane
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:29 pm
Blackfoot wrote:Lin is ahead of Parker.

Embarrassing. Voters suck.



Umm..

Don't acknowledge all voters as sucking.

It's only Asian voters showing some comrade & passion to the man. In all honesty I would rather see Jeremy Lin participate in the allstar game because he doesn't play D but he does have some ball skills and executes the pick and roll really well compared to say Yao Ming who did not belong in a allstar game which was all about dunks & showtime. (Yao Ming was a great big man, But he's like Chris Kaman. could put a child with ADD to sleep)

Now I hope no one accuses me of being a racist here, but it's just plain facts in black and white.

Can I say how much I enjoyed allstar voting when you had to walk into a footlocker and grab an actual ballot paper!!! It stops the rigness & corruption of some computer hackers making up a macro/automated vote logger for players who definitely don't belong there.

NFL at least got it half right by their system.. A player is selected based on 33/33/33 of fans, coaches & players votes.
User avatar
Role Player
Posts: 291
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:21 am
Location: San Francisco
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:48 am
I like that: 33 percent of each. What I also think they should do is make it so that each market has a a more or less even amount of voting points. So teams like LA and Houston can't just get their players in because they have the most fans. I think that fans voting should count but only minimally. Or else, why call it the all star game? If it's for the fans, call it the fan Popularity game! I think most would agree that if it weren't for politics, Lee should be a front runner to play pf perhaps maybe after Randolph. That is if it ended today.

One thing is also for certain: If Lee didn't make the AS game, then I'm pretty sure that once again the Warriors will be the ONLY good record team without an all star. Sort of like how Baron didn't make it in the We Believe Years. Sort of like how Monta Ellis was the only top 15 scorer not in the All Star game. Same will be this year, the only contender without an all star. Then you will have all these mediocre players playing in the East, it makes me wanna puke.

The excuse will once again be that it was stacked or Lee didn't play defense. I won't watch the AS game because it's not something I can look at or be proud of, assuming this is the case. It would be a shame.
User avatar
Starting Lineup
Posts: 772
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:21 am
Location: SOCAL
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:15 am
Its almost like the league enjoys ignoring the bay...
This season is not a flop.

All Star
Posts: 3082
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:03 am
Location: san jose
Poster Credit: 18
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:02 pm
David Lee rankings amongst PF

Points : 19.2 ; Ranked 2nd

Rebounds: 11.5 ; Ranked 3rd

Assists: 3.4 ; Ranked 3rd

Steals: 1; Ranked 10th

Shooting percentage: .523, Ranked 14. Take into account he is attempting more shots than players ranked above him. For example the top four players have only attempted 9 shots total, which is an average of just 2 shots per game compared to 15.

Ranked the most efficient Power Forward. 2nd on the list was Duncan, 3rd Zach Randolph.

Free Throw shooting: Among those with attempting more than 4 per game he Ranks fourth, Shooting .80%
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21385
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:35 pm
Other than Duncan, he is the best PF in the nba right now and could even be debated that he is the best. We have no superstar here, but imagine Lee next to CP, he'd be much better even.
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 1:57 am
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:29 am
I'd take several power forwards over Lee right now. I love Lee a lot, but he isn't the second best PF. I still see him missing on rotations for defense. I love his best offense and I think he is arguably the best offensive power forward, but factoring in defense I'd take a guy like Z-bo over him.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13536
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:04 pm
Blackfoot wrote:I'd take several power forwards over Lee right now. I love Lee a lot, but he isn't the second best PF. I still see him missing on rotations for defense. I love his best offense and I think he is arguably the best offensive power forward, but factoring in defense I'd take a guy like Z-bo over him.

But who besides Randolph would outrank him?

Griffin will get the votes, but Lee is a better scorer AND rebounder than Griffin (neither play D). He's playing better than Pau Gasol and LaMarcus Alderige. And Kevin Love has barely rolled outta bed this season. Who else would you say is between ZBo and Lee?
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1129
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:53 pm
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:05 am
32 wrote:
Blackfoot wrote:I'd take several power forwards over Lee right now. I love Lee a lot, but he isn't the second best PF. I still see him missing on rotations for defense. I love his best offense and I think he is arguably the best offensive power forward, but factoring in defense I'd take a guy like Z-bo over him.

But who besides Randolph would outrank him?

Griffin will get the votes, but Lee is a better scorer AND rebounder than Griffin (neither play D). He's playing better than Pau Gasol and LaMarcus Alderige. And Kevin Love has barely rolled outta bed this season. Who else would you say is between ZBo and Lee?


There are only 5 guys in should be in the west, Zbo, D. Lee, Timmy, Serge and Blake. Timmy you can consider a 5, but he is really a 4. Between the other 4 I would rank them like this:
Zbo
Lee
Serge
Blake

However Blake defenitatly wins the fan vote... just because of his freakish hops.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"
Image

Image : 2010 - 2011
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3621
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:05 am
Location: Oakland California
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:40 pm
Chris Broussard's insider article on David Lee and how he's underrated.

For the past five seasons, he has been a top scorer, averaging 18 points a game; a top rebounder, grabbing 11 boards each contest; and one of the league's most efficient players, hitting 53 percent of his shots. Yet when the game's top power forwards are mentioned, his name never comes up.

There's no doubt about it: David Lee is one of the most underrated, underappreciated players in the NBA.

And while that characterization has been unfair, it has also been understandable. See, on bad teams, somebody has to be the leading scorer and somebody has to be the leading rebounder. On bad teams, the best mediocre player on a roster full of them will often put up All-Star numbers.

Lee has often been that player. In 2009-10, he averaged 20 points and nearly 12 rebounds for a Knicks team that won 31 games. In last season's strike-shortened, 66-game campaign, he averaged 20 points and nearly 10 rebounds for the 25-41 WarriorsSo respect was hard to come by. Yes, he made the All-Star team in 2010, but he wasn't viewed as a legitimate star. Yes, he received an $80 million contract from Golden State in 2010, but many thought he was overpaid. Lee, after all, had never made the playoffs, so how good could he be?

That perception, however, may be changing. Lee is merely doing what he's always done -- averaging 19.9 points and 11.2 rebounds on 53.6 percent shooting. If we round up, we'll find that Lee's the only player in the league averaging at least 20 points and 10 boards a game.

The difference, of course, is that this season, for the first time in his eight-year career, Lee is playing for a team with a winning record. In one of the biggest surprises of the season, the 19-10 Warriors are the fifth seed in the West.

To get a better sense of how those around the league view Lee, I asked a coach, two front-office executives and two scouts whether the Warriors' success was changing their perception of the Golden State big man.


The coach:
"The knock on David Lee has always been that he can fill up the stat sheet but he's not going to help you win games. I used to have that perception of him, too, but now he's answering a lot of his critics because he's winning games and he's playing at a high level. He's scoring, he's rebounding, he's defending and he's making some big plays. He's definitely not just along for the ride.

"He's really having the best year of anyone on that team. Steph Curry is having a good year but not a great year, and Klay Thompson is not shooting the ball as well as he's capable of. If I had to pick one All-Star from that team, it would be Lee. He can put the ball on the floor and he can post-up. They play through him a lot in the post. And when they post him up, they know they're usually going to get a basket, a foul, or if he gets double-teamed, he'll find a teammate for an open look because he's a willing and capable passer."

The executive:
"In my opinion, he's a numbers guy. He'll put up nice numbers and get a big contract, but I don't fully trust him in terms of being a star player. He'll probably be an All-Star but I just see him as a numbers stuffer. And I don't think Golden State will continue to play this well. They're kind of a new team so people don't know them that well. They're surprising some people. But once teams start to figure them out, it'll be a lot tougher for them. We'll see how they, and Lee, respond."

Another executive:
"David Lee's got to be an All-Star. How can he not be with the way he's playing? While it's true the term 'All-Star' doesn't come to mind when you think of David Lee, he's a monster. I don't know why he doesn't get nearly the same hype and respect that a guy like Kevin Love gets. Love's teams haven't won, either.

"David can do so many things out on the court. One of the Warriors' best sets is the high pick-and-roll, where they throw it back to him on the side and let him get busy. He can put the ball on the floor, too. There are a lot of [All-Star-caliber] guys in the West, but I don't see how you leave David Lee off the All-Star team."
The scout:
"I think David's very good. We paid a ton of attention to him in our game plan. His 19-foot shot is just about automatic and he's so good in the pick-and-roll. He's got a nice one-dribble move off the face-up and spin, and his post-up game is deadly. He's got a hook with either hand. He's almost ambidextrous. We couldn't stop him. He's maximized his potential. Even when you know what he's going to do, you can't stop him.

"The biggest problem for him the last few years and one of the reasons he hasn't gotten any recognition is that he didn't have a good point guard. I don't think he'll get a lot of recognition because it's not like they're always running plays for him. He'll get a few post-up plays, but he does so much to hurt you in the flow of the game. He's a guy that can produce big numbers without you having to run a play for him. And you can see by his numbers that he's a great rebounder. He's a position guy. He's not dirty, but he's tough and physical. And he's a pretty smart player.

"People talk about his defense not being good, but his defense is fine. He knows where to be on the floor. He'll take away one or two of your strengths. His speed is good enough. If he's going against a prototypical center, he's not great, but he can guard most of the centers in our league and he can stay with most 4s."

Another scout:
"Lee should be an All-Star. The greatest thing about him is his consistency. He's done it year after year for horrendous teams. Now he's doing it for a good team and showing that his production in the past wasn't a fluke, that it wasn't a byproduct of being on bad teams. He's underrated and he's undervalued. He knows his role and he's great at what he does. He's going to outwork people to rebound and get putbacks. He's improved the range on his jump shot.

"I've always liked him. I just think he was stuck in bad situations in New York and the past two years in Golden State. But I always thought he'd be a great teammate to have. I would love to have him on my team. He's got more tools in the toolbox than you expect. He's more than a guy who can clean up the glass and get points and rebounds without having plays run for him. He just needed an opportunity to show what he can do on a good team."


getting some ESPN love.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Image
Image
Image

Image
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron