Josh Howard intellect on display again

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:52 pm
DALLAS (AP)—The battered reputation of Josh Howard took another hit this week when an online video surfaced showing the Dallas Mavericks forward disrespecting the national anthem.

In a video posted on YouTube, Howard is shown on a football field at a charity flag football game. As the national anthem plays in the background, Howard approaches a camera and says: “‘The Star Spangled Banner’ is going on right now. I don’t even celebrate that (expletive). I’m black.”

Howard’s agent, Jeff Schwartz, did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment. Donnie Nelson, the Mavericks’ president of basketball operations, directed questions to team owner Mark Cuban, who in an e-mail declined to comment.

The incident is the latest off-court problem for Howard, a fifth-year pro from Wake Forest who averaged 19.9 points and seven rebounds last season. He was arrested in July when police said he was drag racing at 94 mph in a 55 zone. A court appearance was scheduled for next week.

Howard was criticized last season for saying in a radio interview during a first-round playoff series against New Orleans that he occasionally smokes marijuana. Later that same series, he angered coach Avery Johnson by throwing himself a birthday bash after a Game 4 loss to the Hornets.

Hey Josh, how about showing a small piece of respect to a country that allows you to earn millions of dollars regardless of your color!!! You obviously have not been held back due to your lack of intelligence or ability to act like a valuable member of society.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:08 pm
Jesus............dude is going off the rails.............what a d*ck (fine not being patriotic but damn, not for those reasons and not saying it so publically like that, he was probably high during the game)

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:05 pm
he also brought obama into the situation, though i forget in which context.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

All Star
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:38 pm
E-Man wrote:he also brought obama into the situation, though i forget in which context.

he followed up his statement by telling the phone to vote for obama. unfortunately.
All Star
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:40 pm
wow :shock: what a giant douche
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:31 pm
not sure why the national anthem is a necessary part of a sporting event...it doesn't happen at movies, theater, concerts, etc...this seems of a piece with jingoism...Isn;t the WHOLE idea of the US constitution that people have the right to dissent? To express a different idea or, god forbid, not sing the national anthem? It's not even a good piece of music. America the Beautiful or this land is your land are much more relevant than this thing expressing glory in war? Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel (see George W Bush, Dick Cheney...) If Josh Howard doesn't want to sing the national anthem, big F**king deal. Last time I checked the first amendment was still in effect, although maybe thanks to the patriot act it no longer is...I choose Howard's curse over Bush putting his hand solemnly on his heart and singing the anthem as he sends thousands of soldiers off to die in a needless war or watches poor souls drown in katrina
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:01 pm
coltraning wrote:not sure why the national anthem is a necessary part of a sporting event...it doesn't happen at movies, theater, concerts, etc...this seems of a piece with jingoism...Isn;t the WHOLE idea of the US constitution that people have the right to dissent? To express a different idea or, god forbid, not sing the national anthem? It's not even a good piece of music. America the Beautiful or this land is your land are much more relevant than this thing expressing glory in war? Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel (see George W Bush, Dick Cheney...) If Josh Howard doesn't want to sing the national anthem, big F**king deal. Last time I checked the first amendment was still in effect, although maybe thanks to the patriot act it no longer is...I choose Howard's curse over Bush putting his hand solemnly on his heart and singing the anthem as he sends thousands of soldiers off to die in a needless war or watches poor souls drown in katrina

Once again, Im with you...
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:02 am
coltraning wrote:not sure why the national anthem is a necessary part of a sporting event...it doesn't happen at movies, theater, concerts, etc...this seems of a piece with jingoism...Isn;t the WHOLE idea of the US constitution that people have the right to dissent? To express a different idea or, god forbid, not sing the national anthem? It's not even a good piece of music. America the Beautiful or this land is your land are much more relevant than this thing expressing glory in war? Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel (see George W Bush, Dick Cheney...) If Josh Howard doesn't want to sing the national anthem, big F**king deal. Last time I checked the first amendment was still in effect, although maybe thanks to the patriot act it no longer is...I choose Howard's curse over Bush putting his hand solemnly on his heart and singing the anthem as he sends thousands of soldiers off to die in a needless war or watches poor souls drown in katrina

100% agree Colt...............I dispise patriotism and I find it quite pathetic that at EVERY spoting event the USA holds, the anthem is played, its very sad and the only country that does it.

But the problem I have with what he said was "I dont like that sh*t BECAUSE! I am black"..............like no possible black person could celebrate the flag or whatever, because they are black.

For me, the whole thing wouldnt be as bad if it didnt have the "Im black" at the end............thats the problem, what the point of it??? just say that you dont support the flag/anthem, why bring "because Im black" into it. :roll:
Role Player
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:52 am
My primary problem was with the "I'm Black" as well. Is he somehow refering to the centuries of oppression he and has family has faced? Or is because he can't get his hands on the 2009 Rolls Royce Phantom just yet?

As far as national anthems go, everyone has the right to do as they please, however I feel folks should show a certain level of respect. I'm not talking just on a US level either. I lived 7 years in Japan and I'm a quarter Filipino. The Japanese commited horrible war crimes during their occupation of the Phillipines during WWII. However, anytime the Japan anthem was played I stood up out of respect to a wonderful country and their people.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:05 pm
Excellent point colt, i too am singing the praises with ur comment. However, the bigger problem i think deals with what Bigs said. Howard is a model (like it or not), and the media will scrutinize whatever u say.

The fact is, this country (like every other) needs to seperate from the notion of classifying people in regards to race. People are going to be voting for Obama because he is black. People will also be voting against him, just because he is black... see thats retarded but the way society works.

The fact that this society needs role models to get rid of this white and black and brown notion of labeling people. people that commit crimes mostly commit them because they are poor, or had adapted traits or their parents. No race is more prone to commit a crime then another. Howard is a joke and should be fine for his promotion of drugs and racial insensitive comments
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:08 pm
I didnt find anything wrong with wat he said. African Americans have been treated horribly and I wouldnt be proud of this country if I were black either. However, Josh Howard is an idiot and I doubt he knows the history behind the oppression.
Basketball would be depressing without the warriors
Role Player
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:00 pm
I'm sure some of you saw comments posted on the internet after this went public. A lot of racial slurs and so forth. It seems everytime this guy opens his mouth, he feeds the negative stereotypes that some people believe and live by. It doesn't do anything to improve racial harmony in this country when he makes an irrational statement and tries to justify it because of his race.

I'd also like to know if Howard is even registered to vote or even understands how the whole electoral process plays out.

Return to NBA Forum