How Much Does This Suck?

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:44 pm
I'm no fan of Great Britian (nothing against them either... Neutral!) but i hope they get a team for 2010 championships and 2012 olympics, with Deng and Gordan on the team. It would be fun to see those guys, as im fans of both those players.
All Star
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:58 am
my next door neighbor went to high school with loul deng. just thought I'd put that out there.

also I went to basketball camp with the nephew of the black lady from the pine-sol TV ads, and my ex-roommate used to date a girl with 3 kidneys.

no joke.

yeah I guess I'm kind of a celebrity, autographs $5
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:27 am
Just to update you guys (if you care. :mrgreen:) Luol will play for our team............the GB Basketball federation pulled up and piad the extra money that the insurance people wanted =

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 588040.stm
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:41 am
bigstrads wrote:Just to update you guys (if you care. :mrgreen:) Luol will play for our team............the GB Basketball federation pulled up and piad the extra money that the insurance people wanted =

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 588040.stm

so all you guys need to do to get in to the olympics is so to show the Olympic Committee that you're capable of fielding a "competitive" team right? since you're the host??

or do you actually need to win a tourny?
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:48 am
I thought the host nation was automatically qualified... Are you sure that's how it works, Bigs?.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:44 pm
Yeah, I thought host nation gets a team in no matter what if they please.

Which is why we'll be seeing South African soccer get trounced on in the 2010 World Cup (although not an IOC event, the setup with bids is the same).
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:45 am
Sorry guys, wasnt at home yesterday.

Anyway, to answer the question of automatic qualification.................yeah, I think because we were only promoted to Division A (the top one of course) of the qualifying leagues last year...........Team GB being a worthwhile basketball team is a very new thing and as such they arent ready to commit to offering a guarenteed place.

I think they want to see us qualify for the FIBA Championships to then justify a team being included in 2012.

Im not sure whether there are specific requirements, like winning a tourney or actually qualifying like everyone else does...........all Ive seen so far is that the programmes has to be a good one and is able to compete with the big boys of the world............which I dont think it can but hey, gotta give it a go and theres still abit of time.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:59 pm
makes sense to me...

otherwise, why else would GB and Deng be making such a fuss to play when the event is another four years away...

they'd be able to field a team of scrubs and not have to sweat anything...

but as is the case, i think they're required to prove their worth...
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:45 am
BUGGER!!!

Update for you guys...............hey, I should re-name this thread the "Great Britain Basketball Thread" :mrgreen:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... e?rss=true

We lost a close, agonising game against Israel.............man, we were up by 1 with 4.5 sec's to go, with 2 free throws coming............only one made..............AND THEN!!! a foul was called on one of our guys with 0.5!!! left, they made both and tied the game up.

Then in overtime, Deng and Pops Mensah-Bonsu fouled out...............but hey, that Joel Freeland kid played and had 14 points and 9 boards.

Luol finished with 30 in losing 102-92. :roll: :banghead:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:11 am
Just to update you guys........Team GB won their group and now have secured an automatic place for the finals of Eurobasket.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/stor ... Qualifying

Italy and France did not qualify and will have to have a play-off next summer to see who qualifies.

Nice. :wink:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:18 am
Cool. Must have been the first time I see GB making it to a final stage of any bball championship.

Congrats, Bigs.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:29 am
TMC wrote:Cool. Must have been the first time I see GB making it to a final stage of any bball championship.

Congrats, Bigs.

Certainly is first time...............amazing what one credible player can do for you! :mrgreen:

The group was pretty rubbish though, Israel were the only decent team and they arent very good.............will be fun to see the team with the big boys, and my old friend and team-mate is a part of it too, so thats cool.
Previous

Return to NBA Forum