Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:03 pm
RobDIKUM wrote:
E-Man wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:a little biased maybe? lol

like i said, i was talking as a boxing fan. take it for what you want whether it be biased or whatevs...i dont think anyone can convince me that oscar's a threat; especially not by using any of his recent fights (last 7 years) as examples. Manny Pacquiao, who just recently entered his prime, vs Oscar De La Hoya whose prime ended almost a decade ago when he fought trinidad...pretty hard to say the golden boy is gonna last if you ask me.

when has oscar been knocked out though? i'm not an oscar fan, but Pac has gotta move up two weight classes, but you seem to think it'll be a cakewalk.

It won't be a cakewalk... but I still believe Pacman will KO him before the 12th round, if not the 12th round itself.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:48 pm
He definitely has a good shot to win the fight, Oscar is favored, but i don't know why. I don't see a knockout though. I just don't see it. i mean hopkins got him in 9, you think mannys got that kind of pop?

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:23 pm
RobDIKUM wrote:He definitely has a good shot to win the fight, Oscar is favored, but i don't know why. I don't see a knockout though. I just don't see it. i mean hopkins got him in 9, you think mannys got that kind of pop?

not sure i can compare manny to hopkins, but oscar doesnt have the endurance he used to. and im not saying it's gonna be a cake walk, im sorry if that's how i made it seem...but i still think manny has a pretty distinct edge of oscar. his chin has wore down and manny is more comfortable fighting in these weight classes. it was a struggle for him to get down to the weights he used to fight at...now, instead of losing a ton of weight to fight, he can train to fight at a more comfortable weight for him. strength and endurance training. he's already gonna have the speed over dela hoya.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:23 pm
i see, good point man, either way its gonna be a good fight, hopefully 10 times better than that de la hoya mayweather garbage. I can't wait for this one.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:08 pm
RobDIKUM wrote:i see, good point man, either way its gonna be a good fight, hopefully 10 times better than that de la hoya mayweather garbage. I can't wait for this one.

Oh God, hell yeah. That was just terrible. No excitement. No emotion. It was as if I was watching the Friday Night Fights on ESPN.
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:17 am
xbay wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:i see, good point man, either way its gonna be a good fight, hopefully 10 times better than that de la hoya mayweather garbage. I can't wait for this one.

Oh God, hell yeah. That was just terrible. No excitement. No emotion. It was as if I was watching the Friday Night Fights on ESPN.

exactly man, at least we'll hopefully get some passion out of this fight. You can tell mayweather fights for the paycheck and recognition, probably doesn't really want to be a fighter that much.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:23 pm
I heard about the fight, and I'm really excited. This is a tremendous match-up because DLH is a big, strong, highly technical boxer, and champion in different weight divisions. He really doesn't have any holes in his repertoire; in fact, he’s the perfect boxer with outstanding fundamentals. To add, he has the height and reach advantage over Manny, being the naturally bigger fighter. Although, for this fight, he does have to come down about 10 pounds, and Manny has to go up about 12.

Manny’s strengths is his youth, his speed, power, and the angles of his punches, since he's a southpaw and is pretty unorthodox. However, Manny cannot win this purely in a boxing match; DLH will simply pick him apart. He’s that great of a boxer and that much bigger and stronger. Manny has to get inside, give angles, be relentless (like always) and make this more of a war. His southpaw stance and style might be enough to really throw off DHL. This could be a fairly easy fight for Manny, or it could prove extremely difficult. It's all about what Manny brings to the table to offset DLH's advantages. I see both possibly hitting the canvas. But, bottom line, I think Manny will pull it off.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:28 am
CjR wrote:I heard about the fight, and I'm really excited. This is a tremendous match-up because DLH is a big, strong, highly technical boxer, and champion in different weight divisions. He really doesn't have any holes in his repertoire; in fact, he’s the perfect boxer with outstanding fundamentals. To add, he has the height and reach advantage over Manny, being the naturally bigger fighter. Although, for this fight, he does have to come down about 10 pounds, and Manny has to go up about 12.

Manny’s strengths is his youth, his speed, power, and the angles of his punches, since he's a southpaw and is pretty unorthodox. However, Manny cannot win this purely in a boxing match; DLH will simply pick him apart. He’s that great of a boxer and that much bigger and stronger. Manny has to get inside, give angles, be relentless (like always) and make this more of a war. His southpaw stance and style might be enough to really throw off DHL. This could be a fairly easy fight for Manny, or it could prove extremely difficult. It's all about what Manny brings to the table to offset DLH's advantages. I see both possibly hitting the canvas. But, bottom line, I think Manny will pull it off.

Yeah, I think it all depends on if we'll see the surprising Manny against Oscar Diaz, or if we'll see the one that struggled against Juan Manuel Marquez.

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:37 pm
xbay wrote:Yeah, I think it all depends on if we'll see the surprising Manny against Oscar Diaz

funny thing is..i dont think he went all out against diaz. there were so many times where he could have knocked him out and didnt. almost like he wanted to make sure the crowd got a little bit of a show.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:08 am
E-Man wrote:
xbay wrote:Yeah, I think it all depends on if we'll see the surprising Manny against Oscar Diaz

funny thing is..i dont think he went all out against diaz. there were so many times where he could have knocked him out and didnt. almost like he wanted to make sure the crowd got a little bit of a show.

Then, that's pretty scary.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:36 am
xbay wrote:
E-Man wrote:

Then, that's pretty scary.

Yeah, it did seem like he prolonged the fight, but make no mistake, Diaz is no DLH. Not even on the same breath.

xbay wrote: Yeah, I think it all depends on if we'll see the surprising Manny against Oscar Diaz, or if we'll see the one that struggled against Juan Manuel Marquez..

That's right. As they say in boxing, styles make fights. Juan Manuel Marquez is a highly technical boxer, and that’s the reason this worries me because DLH is a just that, and a much bigger fighter. As mentioned, he has the height advantage (nearly 5’-11” to 5’-6”) and has a 6” reach advantage. That’s huge. Plus, he’s a Middleweight, has middleweight power, and has fought the likes of Felix Trinidad, Fernando Vargas, Shane Mosely, Ricardo Mayorga, Floyd Mayweather, and Bernard Hopkins, for crying out loud. He’s older, but keeps in great shape and he’s never been in wars, so he’s still fresh and not slowed by injuries. This is definitely not an easy fight on paper for Manny, and that’s why DLH is favored.

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:01 am
CjR wrote:has fought the likes of Felix Trinidad, Fernando Vargas, Shane Mosely, Ricardo Mayorga, Floyd Mayweather, and Bernard Hopkins, for crying out loud.

didnt he lose to all of them except for mayorga and vargas??? twice against mosely i think

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:33 pm
He's lost to Mosley twice, Mayweather, Hopkins and Trinidad once. Those are his 5 career losses.

Honestly, I think we underestimate De La Hoya. Sure, he's old... but he's still bigger and stronger than Manny. He's in a different weight class for heaven's sake! Manny is the clear underdog; many predict Oscar should make short work of Manny. We all know that this will probably be Manny's biggest, truest test. And if he wins, we can finally solidify that he is the current, top, pound-for-pound boxer in the world.

I just don't think Manny will go down easy. People don't even bring up the significance of WHERE Manny gets that extra boost. He has a lot of pride for his country, and he fights for them... so if "experts" think this will be a walk in the park for Oscar just because he has a bigger frame, they must not be much of an expert. I know Oscar is fighting to avenge his country after Manny owned every Mexican boxer that came after him, but there's just so much more fire I see in Manny than what people think.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:19 pm
I realize he “lost” to most of these fighters, but my point in listing them is for the quality of his opponents at the much higher weight division.

He beat up Vargas and Mayorga, yes and surely. He lost on a controversial decision to Trinidad, who many believe, including me, thought he did enough to win. He lost to Mosley the first time on a split-decision, but DLH clearly won the second fight and was robbed. (The only thing that kept Oscar from knocking out Shane is his hard head.) Mayweather boxed (or ran) pretty much all night from Oscar who clearly initiated the fight. He was KO’d by Hopkins (body shot) in a boring technical match, but I never gave Oscar a chance since Hopkins was just too big and too skilled for him.

That’s his resume and those fighters are top-notch caliber fighters and champions, mostly at the Middleweight division. Bigger and technical boxers (Mayweather and Hopkins) have fared well against him, but other (and smaller) boxer-punchers or pure punchers, not so much.

Also, the thing is Manny is just coming up in weight and hasn’t really settled yet. And although he did extremely well against Diaz, De La Hoya is in another league. Manny has never faced anyone like DLH and the size of a DLH. Manny gets hit too often than I would like, and he’s yet to prove he can take a middle weight punch (yet, look who he’s jumping right into).

And Manny has a habit of getting hit while pulling back or just after a combination. He can’t pull straight back against a bigger puncher in DLH, nor let his guards down right after a combination. Quick side movements only, circling around, and countershots on the inside.

Don’t get me wrong, I want Manny to win, and I think he can pull it off. But he’s got to work the body early and often, give angles, use his speed, and hope his southpaw style and punch delivery gives DLH fits.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:25 pm
xbay wrote: We all know that this will probably be Manny's biggest, truest test. And if he wins, we can finally solidify that he is the current, top, pound-for-pound boxer in the world.

I don't think there's any dispute. He's already universally known as the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world. Anybody who believes otherwise does not follow boxing.

Manny has definitely earned it. And if he beats DLH, he'll surpass (if he hasn't already) the great Flash Elorde as the greatest Filipino World Champion ever. (He was my dad's generation.)
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board