prime kidd vs prime nash

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes


Role Player
Posts: 325
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:36 am
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:02 am
just thought this would be a fun topic to toss out there...who do you guys think was the better ball player during their prime years?

both were ideal pass first pgs that made their teammates better...kidd with a significant advantage in defense, nash with the advantage in shooting...both were spectacular passers

on the court i'd go with kidd, he was darn fine on both ends of the floor, shooting wasnt part of his skillset but his passing made up for that. nash has been one of the most brilliant offensive players these last few years, but his defense detracts alot from his overall game

however, if i had to pick a player to build a team with, i'd take nash easypeasy. better person, isnt a wifebeater..
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:58 am
Moved to the NBA forum.


As for the thread, it's an interesting one. And it doesn't have an easy answer. I think Nash is a better offensive player, while Kidd has always been more complete (better rebounder, much better defender). You can't go wrong with any of them, although I'd also go with Nash (for reasons unrelated to their personal life, which shouldn't matter to anybody else than those involved).

Moderator
Posts: 5311
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:21 pm
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:02 am
TrueSexy, this is a terrific question... one that makes u think, and has no true right answer.

When Kidd got traded to New Jersey back in the day, i bought his jersey and claimed him my favorite player. Kidd should of won the MVP of 2001-02 season. Sadly Tim D got it, which he shouldn't of got. When Nash was traded to Phoenix, i bought his Jersey and claimed him my co-favorite player (along with Kidd and Iverson). Nash has 2 MVP's, should of probably beaten Dirk for 3 straight, but the NBA wasn't gonna let that happen. Here is my break down.

Shooting edge: Nash
Passing edge: Kidd (close)
Speed edge: Nash (close)
Rebound edge: Kidd
Defense edge: Kidd
Made teammates better edge: Push
Personality edge: Nash
Championship success edge: Neither, but Kidd went to the Finals
OVERALL EDGE: Kidd by a fraction, but Nash can still pass him!
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1221
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:54 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:33 am
Personally, there's not much to debate here at all between prime-Kidd and prime-Nash.

Kidd hands down would be the choice for point guard when one talks about responsibilities and impact on both ends of the court. The man plays a complete game. Nash is one-dimensional in that what he gains offensively he gives up defensively.

Kidd's one of those rare players that has (or I should now say HAD) the ability to completely disrupt and dominate a game without scoring.
User avatar
Role Player
Posts: 230
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:27 pm
Location: Dixon
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:14 pm
Gotta go for the Bay Area Kidd.

I love Nash's game but J-Kidd has been a game changer at every level he's been at.

Back-to-back HS state championships along with McDonalds MVP.

He took a Cal program that hadn't done nothing spectacular for years and brought them to the Sweet 16 including a game clinching bucket against Duke.

23 game turnaround for the Mavs his rookie year.
5 straight playoff seasons in PHX.

Took the Nets to 2 straight Finals. Let's not forget how pathetic the Nets were. They were probably the Clipper equivalent in retrospect.

I'm not trying to say that Nash doesn't have noteworthy accomplishments as well. Definetly desrved those MVP's. But those early years in Dallas, while nice, accomplished nothing and the PHX turnaround had a lot to do with D'Antoni bringing the style of play that perfectly suited Nash. Also lets be realistic, that team prior to Nash wasn't so bad as much as Marbury is a team killer.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1770
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:59 pm
Location: oakland
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:11 pm
The stats is clear...

Kidd are poor in shooting...
Nash are good in shooting...

Basketball is about points...

5 players on the court, if nash and kidd teammates make about the same on points then it will decide by PG points....

so Nash is the winner...

Both are from norcal....Nash=Univ. Santa clara. :D
Image
User avatar
Role Player
Posts: 230
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:27 pm
Location: Dixon
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:20 pm
Both are from norcal


Nash is Canadian, Kidd was born in the Bay.

While I agree, Nash is superior in personal offensive production, Kidd has been making every player around him a better offensive player.

I have a hard time placing Nash's career over Kidd's. This wouldn't even have been a debate 3 yrs ago. Nash was the third best player on his team in Dallas. Kidd was always the best 1-2 player on his team if not considered the 1 of the 3 best PG's during his career.

Both are great, I just like what Kidd brings more.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1770
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:59 pm
Location: oakland
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:01 pm
kidd are not as good as nash on making every players around him a better offensive players.

Look at Nets and Suns....because of nash the sun became an elite team while kidd are still 'don't know where'.
Sun is the super offensive team while W's on the second place but last year we are about as same as they are....
Image
User avatar
Role Player
Posts: 230
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:27 pm
Location: Dixon
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:53 pm
2 Finals appearances in first 2 yrs in NJ. How is that not elite?

Nash is still sniffing a Finals appearance. I don't want to knock him but I will. This years Suns team should have beat the Spurs. What happened? They fell apart at the end of every game. Nash was turning the ball over and getting outplayed by Parker. Previous 2 yrs same thing. If Nash is so good, finish the deal.

There's a reason you see J-Kidd starting for Team USA. He makes everyone better and everyone likes running with him.

Nash is better than J Kidd present day. However, career as a whole, I'll say it again: Jason Kidd. Just my opinion.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1221
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:54 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:54 pm
GSW United wrote:kidd are not as good as nash on making every players around him a better offensive players.

Look at Nets and Suns....because of nash the sun became an elite team while kidd are still 'don't know where'.
Sun is the super offensive team while W's on the second place but last year we are about as same as they are....


not quite sure what you're trying to say, but yes, let's look at the Nets and Suns...

Nets, back to back finals appearance...

Suns, zero final appearances.

as you were saying?
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1770
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:59 pm
Location: oakland
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:15 pm
aletha33 wrote:
GSW United wrote:kidd are not as good as nash on making every players around him a better offensive players.

Look at Nets and Suns....because of nash the sun became an elite team while kidd are still 'don't know where'.
Sun is the super offensive team while W's on the second place but last year we are about as same as they are....


not quite sure what you're trying to say, but yes, let's look at the Nets and Suns...

Nets, back to back finals appearance...

Suns, zero final appearances.

as you were saying?


i am not saying the past...coz i am not the person living in the past.
what i say just put this 2 teams on the game now..SUNS and Nets..who win will win the title...that's it.
The reality is simple who win is the king.
Image
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3244
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:29 am
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:43 pm
GSW United wrote:The stats is clear...

Kidd are poor in shooting...
Nash are good in shooting...

Basketball is about points...

5 players on the court, if nash and kidd teammates make about the same on points then it will decide by PG points....

so Nash is the winner...

Both are from norcal....Nash=Univ. Santa clara. :D



everytime you post, you come across as knowing even less about the game than your previous post indicated

It's quite amazing
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1770
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:59 pm
Location: oakland
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:01 pm
Quazza wrote:
GSW United wrote:The stats is clear...

Kidd are poor in shooting...
Nash are good in shooting...

Basketball is about points...

5 players on the court, if nash and kidd teammates make about the same on points then it will decide by PG points....

so Nash is the winner...

Both are from norcal....Nash=Univ. Santa clara. :D


well..i said the truth.. i know nash from canada and born in south africa but he is from Univ. santa clara...

is Univ. santa clara from New york... :roll: u answer this


everytime you post, you come across as knowing even less about the game than your previous post indicated

It's quite amazing
Image
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:02 pm
GSW United wrote:
aletha33 wrote:
GSW United wrote:kidd are not as good as nash on making every players around him a better offensive players.

Look at Nets and Suns....because of nash the sun became an elite team while kidd are still 'don't know where'.
Sun is the super offensive team while W's on the second place but last year we are about as same as they are....


not quite sure what you're trying to say, but yes, let's look at the Nets and Suns...

Nets, back to back finals appearance...

Suns, zero final appearances.

as you were saying?


i am not saying the past...coz i am not the person living in the past.
what i say just put this 2 teams on the game now..SUNS and Nets..who win will win the title...that's it.
The reality is simple who win is the king.


Nash hasn't even tasted the NBA Finals, Kidd has. If it wasn't for the Shaq era with the Lakers, they would've won the title... or at least had a better shot against the Spurs. Nash is built to run an offense, same with Kidd. Kidd is better all-around. Double-doubles? or Triple-doubles? The list goes on.

Watching Kidd with the Suns and Nets was simply entertaining and amazing. You'd have to see it to actually get a real, true perspective on it.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3244
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:29 am
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:05 pm
GSW United wrote:
Quazza wrote:
GSW United wrote:The stats is clear...

Kidd are poor in shooting...
Nash are good in shooting...

Basketball is about points...

5 players on the court, if nash and kidd teammates make about the same on points then it will decide by PG points....

so Nash is the winner...

Both are from norcal....Nash=Univ. Santa clara. :D


well..i said the truth.. i know nash from canada and born in south africa but he is from Univ. santa clara...

is Univ. santa clara from New york... :roll: u answer this


everytime you post, you come across as knowing even less about the game than your previous post indicated

It's quite amazing



was more talking about "basketball is about points-nash scores more so he's better"

nevermind, carry on
Next

Return to NBA Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest