Oklahoma City, Cleveland, Milwaukee in three-team trade

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:04 pm
OKC GETS: Joe Smith and Desmond Mason

CLE GETS: Mo Williams

MIL GETS: Damon Jones, Luke Ridnour, Adrian Griffin

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3533552
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:45 pm
Was about to post this, but you beat me to it. :banghead: :wink:

Pretty damn good trade for Cleveland, they get a legit PG who can score and penetrate well............although they are screwed with salaries for a long while, looks like they are preparing to lose LeBron???

Not bad for all teams really, OKC gets a vet big man and a former "star"

Bucks get an ok PG in Ridnour (although I personally think hes quite sh*t) and the shooting of Jones, although Im not sure he will stay there...........the team isnt big enough for his "immense" talent. :roll:

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:06 pm
haha i love it how each and every trade cleveland does, they get praised by everyone.

OPEN YOUR EYES, THIS TRADE SUCKS FOR THEM!!!!

Cleveland owes too much money to too many guys, the players they have are nothing to brag home about. the warriors have 5 players better then anyone else on that Cleveland Squad (except of course King James).

Moe Williams is a bit overrated and is a solid NBA started at best. Lebron wants a star to be by his side... and he will have to wait until 2010.

The Supersonics of OK city are the winners, for getting more salary dump. there still in rebuild mode, got some good young pieces and will be buyers for the next 2 years

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:04 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:haha i love it how each and every trade cleveland does, they get praised by everyone.

Cleveland owes too much money to too many guys, the players they have are nothing to brag home about. the warriors have 5 players better then anyone else on that Cleveland Squad (except of course King James).

Moe Williams is a bit overrated and is a solid NBA started at best. Lebron wants a star to be by his side... and he will have to wait until 2010.

The Supersonics of OK city are the winners, for getting more salary dump. there still in rebuild mode, got some good young pieces and will be buyers for the next 2 years

unless cleveland's staff is hella stupid, im sure theyll be cutting salaries here and there and trading whatever they can, whenever they can over the next few months/years. they will want to keep lebron, and im sure they will despite all the free agents that will be on the market that summer. i see ben wallace, varejao, and even big Z seeing their way out out cleveland by next season, and wally is trade bait if they wanted to use his expiring contract to get a pick or two..maybe even cap relief...it seems to me that the club will not only look to try and win this year, but build around lebron and mo williams for the future.

Mo Williams overrated? you say he's a solid NBA starter at best...since when did anyone have any higher expectations for him? "Over Paid" might be the term you were looking for as he has pretty much close to a kirk hinrich type contract...but lets face it, he's much more deserving of it than hinrich is.

Lastly, i agree with you that OKC is the biggest winner here since they are still rebuilding...they have a bunch of contracts that will come off before the big free agency year and will probably be able to get a good young star to play with kevin durant.

you cant discount the fact that the trade works out for everyone though. i mean, Mo Williams is a good distributor but needs to score as well...and he wasnt gonna get too much opportunity to do that with both RJ and Redd in milwaukee. now the bucks get a pg who will defer to the scorers (keep in mind that even if ridnour sucks like he probably will, the bucks still have Ramon Sessions who has showed promise and will be pretty beastly).
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:45 pm
E-Man wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:haha i love it how each and every trade cleveland does, they get praised by everyone.

unless cleveland's staff is hella stupid, im sure theyll be cutting salaries here and there and trading whatever they can, whenever they can over the next few months/years. they will want to keep lebron, and im sure they will despite all the free agents that will be on the market that summer. i see ben wallace, varejao, and even big Z seeing their way out out cleveland by next season, and wally is trade bait if they wanted to use his expiring contract to get a pick or two..maybe even cap relief...it seems to me that the club will not only look to try and win this year, but build around lebron and mo williams for the future.

Mo Williams overrated? you say he's a solid NBA starter at best...since when did anyone have any higher expectations for him? "Over Paid" might be the term you were looking for as he has pretty much close to a kirk hinrich type contract...but lets face it, he's much more deserving of it than hinrich is.

Lastly, i agree with you that OKC is the biggest winner here since they are still rebuilding...they have a bunch of contracts that will come off before the big free agency year and will probably be able to get a good young star to play with kevin durant.

you cant discount the fact that the trade works out for everyone though. i mean, Mo Williams is a good distributor but needs to score as well...and he wasnt gonna get too much opportunity to do that with both RJ and Redd in milwaukee. now the bucks get a pg who will defer to the scorers (keep in mind that even if ridnour sucks like he probably will, the bucks still have Ramon Sessions who has showed promise and will be pretty beastly).

you are correct in saying overpaid, and he has been a solid player. But can he stay consistent?

my point is that they wont be any better then they were last year, and they simply are adding more long term deals that will limit them for deals later. even if he puts up good numbers, that team is missing a true number 2, a Pippen for the Jordan, and by no means they are getting it with the Salarie woes they will experience next season.

You cant cut players hoping their salaries go away. Trading Players who have Player Options are incredibly difficult. Ben Wallace is a horrible contract. Big Z and AV have options, 8.5 mill a year for moe for 5 more years. Ownership 15 mil over the Luxory threshhold... They are beginning to remind me of a franchise in NY that continues to mount long term contracts thinking so near sighting and doing so in such a hurtful way. And they want LeBron to Stay????
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:10 am
I like the trade for Cleveland. Mo Williams is a pretty good PG. A star?. No way, but he'll be able to start for them and give them quality minutes at PG.

As for their salary cap, it's not a big deal. Just two years over the cap, and if the team doesn't work, they'll have enough cap in two years to add more quality free agents. I don't see it as a problem. They have improved for next year, and that's all that matters.

As for the rest of the teams... well, OKC got rid of more salaries and the Bucks... are still the Bucks.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:59 pm
Definitely an upgrade over Daniel Gibson. I'd say it's a good trade.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:10 am
Mo Williams is a very good PG and the Cavs have just filled another position properly. They just have to click now, getting BWallace to be more like he was some five years ago and they are really top three in the East

migya make the ring fall on ya

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:59 am
migya wrote:Mo Williams is a very good PG and the Cavs have just filled another position properly. They just have to click now, getting BWallace to be more like he was some five years ago and they are really top three in the East

umm ben wallace wont be like he was ago... cuz wallace wasnt really anything. He fit into Detroit's scheme of running things, where they did not need an offensive center. There style is unique, something Cleveland wont run. I think if Cleveland can try to grab Ben Gordon, then this team can be something.

Oh and they wont be the 3rd best team, i think maybe the 4th or 5th. Celtics, Pistons, 76ers, Heat (yes the heat) will be better then this Cav's team. But ill give credit to LeBron, cuz he is clearly the best player in this league, so he might go up another notch and do the unthinkable
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:03 am
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
migya wrote:Mo Williams is a very good PG and the Cavs have just filled another position properly. They just have to click now, getting BWallace to be more like he was some five years ago and they are really top three in the East

umm ben wallace wont be like he was ago... cuz wallace wasnt really anything. He fit into Detroit's scheme of running things, where they did not need an offensive center. There style is unique, something Cleveland wont run. I think if Cleveland can try to grab Ben Gordon, then this team can be something.

Oh and they wont be the 3rd best team, i think maybe the 4th or 5th. Celtics, Pistons, 76ers, Heat (yes the heat) will be better then this Cav's team. But ill give credit to LeBron, cuz he is clearly the best player in this league, so he might go up another notch and do the unthinkable

BWallace was the best defender in the nba a few years ago and hasn't been anywhere near that for a while. If he could rebound and defend something like he did before with Detroit, he'd be worth what he is getting paid.

Cavs have talent and IF they mesh together, they could go to the finals

migya make the ring fall on ya

Return to NBA Forum