Warriors should offer Livingston a low-level 2-year deal

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:20 am
Heres the link: http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2 ... hey-might/

Article was pretty long so i didnt want to post it all in here, but i would take a flyer on livingston even though we got Marcus Williams. Hes 6 feet 7 and would be a good backcourt running mate for Monta since Monta is 6 foot 1. Also the guy has got skills its just a matter of if he can stay healthy.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:36 pm
The thing with Livingston is that there's a lot at stake if we sign him. After an injury that he sustained, it's EXTREMELY risky to sign him. If it was for the minimum, then I'd have no problem. If anything, I'd sign him to a one-year deal for under a million.

I like Shaun. It's just one, we don't know how he'll play after an injury as career threatening as that. And two, I seriously doubt management would want to spend money that we don't have on a player that fragile. Those two reasons are pretty much the same.

Knowing Mullin, he might consider it since he's all for taking risks. Look at his draft record.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:45 am
basically the article said what i thought on the situation, only i would structure the deal a little differently. sign him to a 2 year contract at 1.5 per with a team option on the 2nd year (or a 1 year deal with a clause that makes him a RFA next summer). it gives shaun a chance to make his comeback, gives the warriors a chance to see how he plays, gives the warriors a chance to keep him should he turn out well, and gives the warriors a chance to drop him should he not turn out.

on livingston's side of the deal, him and his agent really wont have too much of a choice but to take the deal. if anything, they would be jumping at the chance for shaun to play anywhere. they cant really disagree with the 2nd year team option, cuz his injury is what makes him a huge risk. and the fact that his 2nd year is not guaranteed, maybe itll push him to show the warriors what he really has.

i really dont think it's too much of a risk to sign livingston. if anything, IMO, the potential reward out weighs the risk.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:27 am
E-Man wrote:i really dont think it's too much of a risk to sign livingston. if anything, IMO, the potential reward out weighs the risk.

Yep, most teams will be too scared of his previous injuries to even think of signing him, so he'd be pretty cheap. What I don't know is if we need him after trading for Marcus Williams. If Monta is gonna be our PG with Marcus as his backup, well... there wouldn't be many minutes for another PG, much less for one with Livingston's injury record.

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:41 am
TMC wrote:
E-Man wrote:i really dont think it's too much of a risk to sign livingston. if anything, IMO, the potential reward out weighs the risk.

Yep, most teams will be too scared of his previous injuries to even think of signing him, so he'd be pretty cheap. What I don't know is if we need him after trading for Marcus Williams. If Monta is gonna be our PG with Marcus as his backup, well... there wouldn't be many minutes for another PG, much less for one with Livingston's injury record.

that's true, but having livingston would give us the option of runnning monta at 2 again without giving up defense by putting williams in there. with livingston's length and D, he can really bother opponents and be that bigger body to guard the bigger guards. really, shaun would be a situational point guard until he's ready to run closer to full speed.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:44 pm
E-Man wrote:that's true, but having livingston would give us the option of runnning monta at 2 again without giving up defense by putting williams in there. with livingston's length and D, he can really bother opponents and be that bigger body to guard the bigger guards. really, shaun would be a situational point guard until he's ready to run closer to full speed.

Yeah, that might be worth a try... for a minimum salary, of course.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:27 pm
TMC wrote:
E-Man wrote:that's true, but having livingston would give us the option of runnning monta at 2 again without giving up defense by putting williams in there. with livingston's length and D, he can really bother opponents and be that bigger body to guard the bigger guards. really, shaun would be a situational point guard until he's ready to run closer to full speed.

Yeah, that might be worth a try... for a minimum salary, of course.

I agree. Taking a chance on Livingston (since he's still so young) makes sense for us as a low-risk move. Send him down to the D-League until he’s ready by mid-season.

Return to News Articles