Josh Smith signs agreement offer from Grizz

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

User avatar

Starting Lineup
Posts: 865
» Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:05 pm
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3525609

Guess that ends all speculations about any other teams getting him... and any other trades that would have went through

Rookie
Posts: 6
» Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:15 pm
He's not goin anywhere... until the Hawks sign and trade him

All Star
Posts: 3310
» Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:29 pm
smith could make the grizzlies pretty dangerous...he'll be in pretty much the same situation as he is on the hawks in that he's on a team that probably wont go too far...but at least he'll likely be the 2nd option...maybe. he's a defensive version of rudy gay, i dont see why the grizzlies are doin it.
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 18315
» Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:32 pm
Whatever... He's not going anywhere. That offer is not big enough for Atlanta to not match.

All Star
Posts: 3310
» Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:42 pm
TMC wrote:Whatever... He's not going anywhere. That offer is not big enough for Atlanta to not match.


not sure its small enough for them to want to keep him either tho. in all likelihood, they will match the offer...but my bet is that he's traded by the deadline...where harrington, belinelli, and wright would look mighty attractive to the hawks.
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 18315
» Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:18 am
E-Man wrote:
TMC wrote:Whatever... He's not going anywhere. That offer is not big enough for Atlanta to not match.


not sure its small enough for them to want to keep him either tho. in all likelihood, they will match the offer...but my bet is that he's traded by the deadline...where harrington, belinelli, and wright would look mighty attractive to the hawks.


If that happens, they can forget about signing any good free agent til they get new owners. After losing Childress, they can't afford to lose Smith if they want to keep some kind of respectability around the league.

I don't know... that's just how I see it. After last season, when Atlanta proved to be on recovery road (so to say), nobody would understand losing Smith like this. It's a lot of money, true, but they're almost forced to match.


EDIT: It's already been matched. Smith's gonna stay a Hawk for the next few years.
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 21848
» Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:22 am
Not much of an offer by the Grizz :oops:

Hawks match and keep JSmith for a reasonable price.

Rather have JSmith at that price than Maggette at what he signed for, to say the least
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 1768
» Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:37 am
it's good grizz offer $15 mil/year to josh smith otherwise maybe Hawks will only pay him around $12 mil/year most likely.

But, now Hawks have to spend more money for Josh smith to match that offer....

i like other team to mess around the salary cap and give players more money... :mrgreen:


but don't do it in here (bayarea). :)
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 3064
» Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:17 am
migya wrote:Not much of an offer by the Grizz :oops:

Hawks match and keep JSmith for a reasonable price.

Rather have JSmith at that price than Maggette at what he signed for, to say the least


who would have got Josh Smith at that price other than the hawks?
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 21848
» Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:49 am
RobDIKUM wrote:
migya wrote:Not much of an offer by the Grizz :oops:

Hawks match and keep JSmith for a reasonable price.

Rather have JSmith at that price than Maggette at what he signed for, to say the least


who would have got Josh Smith at that price other than the hawks?



Don't think that was the maximum possible that JSmith could have gotten
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 1768
» Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:12 am
hey miggy, i have a question!!!

if Hawk match the grizz offer for josh smith $15 mil/year, can another team make the new offer sheet for josh smith for example $50 mil/year...can it happen?

i know i make to exaggerate by $50 mil/year but just an example...

it's like auction things....i offer 15 mil and then othe guy said i offer 20 mil...30 mil..40 mil...something like that...
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 18315
» Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:31 am
GSW United wrote:if Hawk match the grizz offer for josh smith $15 mil/year, can another team make the new offer sheet for josh smith for example $50 mil/year...can it happen?


Nope. Once it's signed, that's his contract, be it with the new team or the old one if the offer is matched.
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 3064
» Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:15 pm
migya wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:
migya wrote:Not much of an offer by the Grizz :oops:

Hawks match and keep JSmith for a reasonable price.

Rather have JSmith at that price than Maggette at what he signed for, to say the least


who would have got Josh Smith at that price other than the hawks?



Don't think that was the maximum possible that JSmith could have gotten


well of course, but while i wasn't a fan of maggette's contract either, i'd rather have him than nobody. The hawks were gonna match anyway, they matched it pretty fast, i think the hawks were trying to let the other teams do the dirty work, and then they just match whatever was offered. My point is, i'd rather have Josh smith, but since that wasn't gonna happen, i'll take maggette over nothing.
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 1768
» Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:54 pm
TMC wrote:
GSW United wrote:if Hawk match the grizz offer for josh smith $15 mil/year, can another team make the new offer sheet for josh smith for example $50 mil/year...can it happen?


Nope. Once it's signed, that's his contract, be it with the new team or the old one if the offer is matched.


second question,

for example, if grizz come up with $20 mil and then Hawks decide to let him go, after that grizz cancel the offer sheet coz they think is too high for $20 mill...do u think grizz will get punishment from NBA...

it's like u buy stuff from WALMART and then u don't like it and return it to WALMART...can u do that for restricted free agent...
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 3618
» Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:58 pm
GSW United wrote:
TMC wrote:
GSW United wrote:if Hawk match the grizz offer for josh smith $15 mil/year, can another team make the new offer sheet for josh smith for example $50 mil/year...can it happen?


Nope. Once it's signed, that's his contract, be it with the new team or the old one if the offer is matched.


second question,

for example, if grizz come up with $20 mil and then Hawks decide to let him go, after that grizz cancel the offer sheet coz they think is too high for $20 mill...do u think grizz will get punishment from NBA...

it's like u buy stuff from WALMART and then u don't like it and return it to WALMART...can u do that for restricted free agent...


no... cant do that... lol.... if you signed him at 20 mil a year... your paying him 20 mil a year... contracts a contract. no return policy... :mrgreen:

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest