Winners and losers of the NBA's offseason (so far)

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:34 pm
Golden State Warriors
I feel sorry for Warriors GM Chris Mullin. A little more than a year ago, he was the guy who helped the Warriors end an ugly 12-year playoff drought. His hard work paid off in the 2007 playoffs when his Warriors pulled off one of the biggest first-round upsets in NBA history.

Last season, the Warriors were good, just not good enough to make the playoffs in the ultra competitive West. Then disaster struck this offseason as Baron Davis bolted for the Clippers and the Warriors panicked. After trying and failing to lure Elton Brand and Gilbert Arenas to Golden State, the Warriors spent way too much on Corey Maggette, a guy who duplicates many of their strengths and addresses none of their weaknesses.

Now the Warriors look poised to fall out of the playoffs for the next few seasons as they restart the rebuilding process. That has to be a huge blow to the gut of Warriors fans that rabidly supported the Warriors in 2007.

But there is a silver lining in Golden State.

First, the Warriors were right in not overpaying to keep Davis. I'll be surprised if he's still playing 50 games a season in the last few years of that deal. Second, the Warriors locked up their two young free agents -- Monta Ellis and Andris Biedrins -- to rich, but not ridiculous deals. If those two continue to develop along with young players like Brandan Wright, Marco Belinelli and rookie Anthony Randolph, the Warriors will be good in about three years.

Still, I'm not sure Warriors fans like the idea of waiting after missing the playoffs in 16 of 17 years.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:24 pm
F*ck this guy.............who wrote it?

I think our team is a HELL of alot stronger, deeper, tougher, more efficient and more multi skilled than last years...........how does Mags not address any weaknesses??? how about reliable, high precentage penetration, getting to the line on a consistent basis and shooting a good %???

Turiaf? a possible steal/PG gem in Williams?............ :roll:

Apart from Philly, no-one has had a better off season than us, at the very least from a recovering from lost players stand point.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:55 pm
bigstrads wrote:F*ck this guy.............who wrote it?

I think our team is a HELL of alot stronger, deeper, tougher, more efficient and more multi skilled than last years...........

Pawno, get off Bigs keyboard... :wink:

I think he has a point, tho. Our offseason wasn't bad merely because Mullin did what he had to do, not overpaying for Baron, locking up our keys for the future in Monta and Beans, and even added a good player in Mags and an intriguing one in Williams.

Still, when you lose one of the top 5 PGs of the NBA, you can't say your team has improved. Not until the season is over and you really know what you have.

I think we're gonna be better off after this offseason in a few years, not next season. There are too many questions about several players right now to say that we're gonna be improved from last year.
All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:33 pm

I think our team is a HELL of alot stronger, deeper, tougher, more efficient and more multi skilled than last years...........how does Mags not address any weaknesses??? how about reliable, high precentage penetration, getting to the line on a consistent basis and shooting a good %???

Turiaf? a possible steal/PG gem in Williams?............ :roll:

Apart from Philly, no-one has had a better off season than us, at the very least from a recovering from lost players stand point.

Espn's Chad Ford...

my bad... I forgot to post the link... here it is...
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/s ... son-080804
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:56 pm
TMC wrote:

I think our team is a HELL of alot stronger, deeper, tougher, more efficient and more multi skilled than last years...........

Pawno, get off Bigs keyboard... :wink:

I think he has a point, tho. Our offseason wasn't bad merely because Mullin did what he had to do, not overpaying for Baron, locking up our keys for the future in Monta and Beans, and even added a good player in Mags and an intriguing one in Williams.

Still, when you lose one of the top 5 PGs of the NBA, you can't say your team has improved. Not until the season is over and you really know what you have.

I think we're gonna be better off after this offseason in a few years, not next season. There are too many questions about several players right now to say that we're gonna be improved from last year.

Ok.............Ive just created a new thread in Warriors Basketball to talk about this. :wink:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:02 am
bigstrads wrote:Ok.............Ive just created a new thread in Warriors Basketball to talk about this. :wink:

Boooooo... afraid you cannot win against me by yourself, Bigs?. Do you really need to look for help in other forums? :mrgreen:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:16 pm
TMC wrote:
bigstrads wrote:Ok.............Ive just created a new thread in Warriors Basketball to talk about this. :wink:

Boooooo... afraid you cannot win against me by yourself, Bigs?. Do you really need to look for help in other forums? :mrgreen:

What is being insued here!!!..............nah, I literally typed out that whole new thread as a response to your post, then I decided my hard work and SPOT ON POINTS! deserved a thread for itself. :mrgreen:
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:28 pm
I thought he was wrong about Maggette, I mean he is a scorer and we are a scoring team but he does address weaknesses. First off, he is an efficient scorer who can create high% shots, something last year's W's couldn't have done, instead choosing to chuck a 3. We were too inconsistent, causing giant lead swings that sometimes pulled us out of holes but too often crushed huge advantages.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:15 pm
He also forgets that because the team is so young, it leaves them vulnerable to creating a habit where they slack off and get lazy at times. Maggette brings a great work ethic that'll teach the kids to eat right, work out, and to stay active on a CONSISTENT basis.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.

Return to News Articles