Trading Manny?

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:17 pm
As the trading deadline looms I can't believe the BoSox are thinking about trading Manny Ramirez. Pain in the ass? Yes. Amazing hitter who you'll need to win a world series? Yes.

First, his numbers. A .301 batting average? Nice. 20 HR? Decent power there. 68 RBIs? Wow, very nice. .399 OBP? .533 SLG? .932 OPS? Yeah, stud.

But let's forget about all that. How does he do in the post-season?

Let's see... last year, after an off year... 14 games, .348 BA, 4 HR 16 RBIs, 1.160 OPS? World Series ring? Best offensive player on the team during that stretch? The heart of that order? Yes, yes, yes.

I'm shocked they would let him go. Just let Manny be Manny and win.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)

Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:30 pm
yeah, the Marlins seem to be the destination... nothing official nor done or going to be, but they are negotiating.

I personally think the Media scrutunize Bonds far worse then Manny, when Manny was probably the worse of a teammate. When Bonds did something, he got ripped (kinda like what A-Rod will feel now and for the rest of his career). But when Manny does something all they say is that annoying saying: "Manny being Manny".

If Manny killed someone, they'd simply say "Oh, he didnt mean anything by it.... it was just Manny being Manny".
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:37 pm
Yeah, there was a report of Manny being shipped to the Marlins for 3 prospects. But nothing was finalized, it's just an offer.

Manny always turns on his magic at the end of the season. Not sure why the Sox don't want him, anymore. Is it because his attitude? All I know is that trading Manny away should hurt them more than help them if they're serious about another World Series title. But I do give them props for finding someone willing to take his contract.

If that trade goes down, the NL East will be even tighter. The Phillies, Mets, and Marlins are fighting to go along with the NL Central.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:39 pm
Manny is a punk. I wouldn't touch him if I was an opposing team. The Marlins, of all teams, would be a terrible fit. Why would they gut their young guys, the many young guys, for a guy that has a terrible attitude for everybody but himself. It used to be "just Manny being Manny." Now, since his numbers have started to fall, and his attitude has gotten worse, that statement no longer is true. He just cannot fit in a team setting. The Marlins shouldn't touch him.

Also, he would nearly double their payroll.
2007 - GoldenStWarriors.com "Rookie of the Year"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:19 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:Manny is a punk. I wouldn't touch him if I was an opposing team. The Marlins, of all teams, would be a terrible fit. Why would they gut their young guys, the many young guys, for a guy that has a terrible attitude for everybody but himself. It used to be "just Manny being Manny." Now, since his numbers have started to fall, and his attitude has gotten worse, that statement no longer is true. He just cannot fit in a team setting. The Marlins shouldn't touch him.

well thats why the trade didnt happen. The whole point was for Florida to get manny w/o paying most of his paycheck. He is owed approx. 9 million left, a little less, but the Marlins wanted over 7 million. Therefore, Boston backs off, leaving Pittsburgh pissed off, because they were looking foreward to some prospects (and leaving their existing players, notably Jason Bay) in discomfort... overall a mess!

but yeah, i agree SFx3... Manny is a Cancer.

All Star
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:55 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:Manny is a punk. I wouldn't touch him if I was an opposing team. The Marlins, of all teams, would be a terrible fit. Why would they gut their young guys, the many young guys, for a guy that has a terrible attitude for everybody but himself. It used to be "just Manny being Manny." Now, since his numbers have started to fall, and his attitude has gotten worse, that statement no longer is true. He just cannot fit in a team setting. The Marlins shouldn't touch him.

Good news for Giants fans. Manny is going to the Dodgers!! They get a 2 month rental and give up some top prospects. (it's on espn now)

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:00 pm

While he isn't the juggernaut he was in the past, his numbers are still very good. He's bouncing back from a poor year last season to a great year this season. He's top 10 in basically every offensive category. He has no speed and he slacks off on the bases, but he hits for average and power and he takes walks. Even in 2008 he's a stud.

Of course, last year his real value was in the post-season. Not many guys hit at or above their regular season numbers against post-season pitching, and Manny is one of them. If you're in contention for a World Series championship you want Manny up at bat.

If you're going to get rid of Manny, do it in the off-season, not in August when you're approaching the playoffs.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)

Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:44 pm
Manny 2 The Dodgers!!!

Its official, L.A. just won the NL West with this trade, and they may have just cashed a ticket to the World Series.

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:51 pm
I think the move is a foolish one by the BoSox. Sure, they get rid of a distraction and perhaps even a cancer, but we'll see how well they hit in the post-season. Jason Bay isn't exactly Manny.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:20 pm
not only did they trade manny, they traded a pitcher with an amazing fastball and another prospect.... 3 players they got rid of for Jason Bay, who will definately feel stressed to perform at a high level when he joins the team.

We can hope this the beginning of the end of boston dominance in sports!!!
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:32 pm
Manny's the perfect fit for the Dodgers. A jerk on a jerk team. :mrgreen:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:56 pm
BDIDDY707 wrote:Manny 2 The Dodgers!!!

Its official, L.A. just won the NL West with this trade, and they may have just cashed a ticket to the World Series.

There is no way the Dodgers go to the World Series. The best they can do, I feel, is the second round. I see the Cubs, D-Backs, and the Brewers all better than them.

BDIDDY707, are you in LA?
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:06 pm
Yeah, I still say the Brewers and Cubs are better than them. Both teams have the pitching staff and hitting lineup to be in the Fall Classic over the Dodgers.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:15 pm
Yeah, I just can't imagine the Dodgers making it anywhere. Sure, they have talent, and, from a talent standpoint, Manny helps, but I'm not sure if he is enough. They are extremely young, probably too young, and their pitching staff isn't anything amazing. I see the Brewers and Cubs having an absolutely stacked offense, with no huge weakness. Also, the Brewers and Cubs both went out and addressed their biggest need, the starting pitching spot, with CC and Harden, respectively. They realize that pitching wins it, and the Dodgers didnt follow that. I'm not saying that this trade doesnt help the Dodgers, but not enough.

Who did LA give up? I hope they were gutted to get him. :mrgreen:

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:28 pm
Outfielder Manny Ramirez's stormy relationship with the Boston Red Sox
appears to be over.

A baseball source has confirmed Ramirez has been traded to the Los
Angeles Dodgers, ESPN.com has learned. The Red Sox will pay remaining
$7 million of Ramirez's contract, ESPN.com's Peter Gammons reported.

Jason Bay is going to Boston as part of the deal, ESPN.com's Jayson
Stark reported. And the Pittsburgh Pirates get four minor leaguers as
part of the three-way deal.

Third baseman Andy LaRoche and right-handed pitcher Bryan Morris will
go to the Pirates from the Dodgers. Outfielder Brandon Moss and
right-handed pitcher Craig Hansen will leave the Red Sox organization
for Pittsburgh, ESPN.com has learned.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
Next

Return to Sports Board