Baron and Ricky back together

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:39 pm
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3508759

LOS ANGELES -- The Clippers continued their offseason makeover Monday, signing veteran swingman Ricky Davis to a multiyear contract.

Sources told ESPN.com's Chad Ford that the deal was for two years, $4.7 million with an opt out clause for Davis after his first year.

Davis, an unrestricted free agent who turns 29 in September, averaged 13.8 points, 4.3 rebounds and 3.4 assists while playing in all 82 games for the Miami Heat last season. He shot 43.3 percent from the floor, 40.5 percent on 3-pointers and 78.7 percent from the foul line.

"With his ability to score and shoot from the outside, it's really going to open up the floor for us, particularly our low-post players," Los Angeles general manager Elgin Baylor said. "He can score from outside, he can score from inside. He's versatile; he can play [shooting guard], he can play [small forward].

"He's been terrific coming off the bench, instant offense. That's up to the coach [(Mike Dunleavy] to decide, how he's going to use him. Most likely, he'll come off the bench. That's been his strength."

The 6-foot-7 Davis has averaged 14.3 points, 3.7 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 31.1 minutes in his career. He was chosen with the 21st overall pick of the 1998 draft by the Charlotte Hornets after one year at Iowa, where he averaged 15.0 points, 4.8 rebounds and 2.4 assists.

Davis had his best season with the Cleveland Cavaliers five years ago, averaging 20.6 points, 4.9 rebounds and 5.5 assists in 79 games.

Earlier this month, the Clippers added two starters, signing point guard Baron Davis to a five-year, $65 million contract and acquiring forward-center Marcus Camby in a trade from the Denver Nuggets. Al Thornton, Chris Kaman and Cuttino Mobley figure to be the other starters next season, with Davis playing a key role off the bench.

Among the projected reserves besides Davis are Tim Thomas, Jason Hart and first-round draft pick Eric Gordon. The Clippers acquired Hart from Utah last month for Brevin Knight in a swap of backup point guards.

Unrestricted free agents Elton Brand and Corey Maggette left the Clippers. Brand signed with Philadelphia, and Maggette went to Golden State.

i know Ricky Davis isn't THAT good, but being in LA with the clippers could make him seem a lot better than he is. ricky davis is now a legit scoring option with an actual point guard to feed him the ball...something he hasnt had since he was with the cavs (arguably with the celtics). with baron, ricky, kaman, and camby are the clippers scarrier than we thought they were gonna be?
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:55 am
do the clips have a good team? Yes... with the loss of Brand... they add BD Gordon Camby and RD not bad if you ask me. I knock denver out of the top 8 in the west and put the DUBZ Portland and CLips anywhere from 7-10
THATS OUR FUTURE RIGHT THERE
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:52 am
I still dont see the Clips making any noise at all.............I mean the potential for injury (Baron, Camby and Kaman) and flopping (Ricky and Gordon) is HUGE.

There is no way they will be a playoff team.............no way.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:28 am
I've always like RDavis alot and the huy just seemes to have lack of motivation more than anything else because he could score 20pts a game in just over 30mins a game, he has that ability. The Clippers definately have the talent to be a playoff team this season and it looks like only injuries will stop them.

They have Baron, Mobley, Thornton, Camby, Kaman, RDavis and rookie Gordon,off the top of my head as players who can contribute and have alot of talent in what they do best. That's a great seven players right there, amongst the best in the nba actually

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:55 am
that team is gonna be bad imo. I think the kings might end up better than them.
Basketball would be depressing without the warriors
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:58 am
bigstrads wrote:I still dont see the Clips making any noise at all.............I mean the potential for injury (Baron, Camby and Kaman) and flopping (Ricky and Gordon) is HUGE.

Isn't there a fine now for Flopping? Yes the risk for injury is great there... but if the stars align for the clips and that doesn't happen you have to admit they do have a squad.
THATS OUR FUTURE RIGHT THERE
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:34 pm
Viz wrote:
bigstrads wrote:I still dont see the Clips making any noise at all.............I mean the potential for injury (Baron, Camby and Kaman) and flopping (Ricky and Gordon) is HUGE.

Isn't there a fine now for Flopping? Yes the risk for injury is great there... but if the stars align for the clips and that doesn't happen you have to admit they do have a squad.

LOL! I meant flopping as in not being very good............my fault for using a term with a double meaning. :wink:

There team...........Camby and Kaman is one offensively challenged frontcourt, Thornton is coming along nicely yes, Mobley is pretty one dimensional...........and Baron.........well, maybe.

Outside of that, who they got? Ricky Davis off the bench, is he going to bother to play? Gordon isnt all that IMO...........then what? Jason Hart? DeAndre Jordan? hes gonna take a few years............they will some games yes but will not be a playoff team,

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:55 pm
i dunno...i think theyll make a little bit of noise...at least until baron gets injured. cuz baron will once again, be the backbone of the team. the only thing is, will baron's game ultimately be restricted in coach dumbleavy's structured coaching style? last time baron had a coach that wanted baron to play more fundamentally, baron ended up getting injured and took his sweet ass time coming back which eventually got him traded to GS.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:18 pm
yeah anyone to consider the Clippers a playoff team is nuts. I think the Kings are better then them, and they suck. Baron Davis is clearly their best player, but how much effort will he put in once he realizes the talent around his is A. Too young B. too old and C. too washed up and overrated.

Ricky Davis? Cmon... he is at best a 2 week star who quickly disappoints you once you pick him up in fantasy basketball... Look him up in the dictionary, he is under Inconsistent!

There rookie Eric Gordan is going to be a fine player....Some Day. He is still to raw, and juddging from the Indiana games i got to watch, he at times shows brilliance and equally dumb. He in a couple years will be a balla, but not this year.

Marcus Camby is a decent player, but think about it, those offensive numbers arent too good... AND remember, he played for a quick scoring team in Denver (meaning per night, they got hella points). Dont see him feeling comfortable scoring.

Plus Depth is important judging teams, and they dont got much. Al Thorton was the oldest rookie not name Jamario Moon last year. He wasnt so spectacular and probably never will.

To Summarize, Cllippers suck now, and probably will in the future... So no more clippers talk!!!!
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:58 pm
The Clippers will still acquire another good player, either through free agency or trade, as they are still under the salary cap by a fair bit. I just think the duo of Camby and Kaman, if often healthy, is perhapes the best defensive duo in the nba right now, at least in frontline. They both can score a bit as well, nothing great, but they can score about 15pts a game. The Clippers look awkward at the moment and have had many changes but if they come together well, they definately could be an 8th seed this season, they have the talent

Role Player
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:13 am
All Ricky Davis cares about is filling his pockets and stat sheet. Reminds me a lot of Isaiah (JR) Rider. Physical gifts but never enough dedication or proper attitude to take it to the next level. :banghead:

I think Ricky will love it with the Clips though. Feel free to chuck it up as much as he wants once they go down by 20+ everynight.

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:54 pm
Linc Mob wrote:All Ricky Davis cares about is filling his pockets and stat sheet. Reminds me a lot of Isaiah (JR) Rider. Physical gifts but never enough dedication or proper attitude to take it to the next level. :banghead:

I think Ricky will love it with the Clips though. Feel free to chuck it up as much as he wants once they go down by 20+ everynight.

speaking of JR Rider...that guy still hoops out in oakland sometimes. and he gets on that peace pipe sometimes too :mrgreen:

Role Player
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:08 pm
E-Man wrote:
Linc Mob wrote:All Ricky Davis cares about is filling his pockets and stat sheet. Reminds me a lot of Isaiah (JR) Rider. Physical gifts but never enough dedication or proper attitude to take it to the next level. :banghead:

speaking of JR Rider...that guy still hoops out in oakland sometimes. and he gets on that peace pipe sometimes too :mrgreen:

After I posted regarding JR, I thought it would seem like I didn't like the guy. I always enjoy watching a local kid do well. I just wish he would have applied himself more. I loved watching him play out at UNLV. A great 2 guard frame with outragous leaping ability.

I got DVD's with JR doing his "thing" away from the court with E-40 and Richie Rich. Seems like a good guy who never lost touch with his roots. That could be a good and bad thing all in one.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:32 am
I liked Rider, he was a really skilled player. Can't believe he just left like he did and think he is probably the biggest waste of talent, never to become what he could have been, in nba history

Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:40 am
ricky davis?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MezCclCSjNw
Next

Return to NBA Forum