32's Two Minute Ramble: Miami Heat

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

What Do You Think Of Player's Review?

Right
1
33%
Wrong
0
No votes
In the Middle
2
67%
 
Total votes : 3

User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21366
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:16 am
You are right! Olajuwon, like Duncan, has Robinson there and that is the reason both are seen as better than Robinson
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13511
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:14 am
Migya, read closer; I never said Duncan "wasn't that good." I said on an all-time scale, he doesn't stand out... you're making him seem like a modern basketball God and, the truth is, he'll be semi-forgotten by everyone but Spurs fans when he retires (kinda like Nate Thurmond with us).

Calling him one of the "greatest winners in NBA history" is pretty comical, though. He's nowhere close to that label.

There's no denying the skills, but don't over-do it. He's a good player, but on an all-time scale, he's nothing more than average (saying he's special would be moronic). If you wanna place him at power forward, then fine... lets do it. Players like Charles Barkley and Karl Malone never won a ring and they'll always be considered better than him. Others like McHale who won championships are on a higher scale because they were pioneers of certain aspects of the game (McHale did to post moves what Russel did to shot-blocking and Magic did to passing). Even today, Duncan's not the unanimous choice for best PF in the league (a title that goes to Kevin Garnett). Dirk Nowitski, Jermaine O'Neal, and last season's Amare Stoudamire put up MVP caliber numbers, as well. Tim Duncan is not a basketball god no matter how much you think he is, migya.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:22 am
#32 wrote:Migya, read closer; I never said Duncan "wasn't that good." I said on an all-time scale, he doesn't stand out... you're making him seem like a modern basketball God and, the truth is, he'll be semi-forgotten by everyone but Spurs fans when he retires (kinda like Nate Thurmond with us).

Calling him one of the "greatest winners in NBA history" is pretty comical, though. He's nowhere close to that label.


Wow, he's already won three rings, and may have even more when he retires. I don't think he'll be semi-forgotten...
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13511
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:56 am
Really? Do you know who Jud Buchelor is? No? He's got 3 rings...

Duncan's rise to the top came at a time when the league was weak. He is, therefore, judged accordingly. There's no denying it. Yes, he's a good player, but he won't transcend time as anything more than an above average player in his time who won rings. Period. Putting him on a level with Wilt, Bird, Jordan, Rick Barry, or even Charles Barkley is naive because you obviously don't have respect for the past. I heard migya earlier trying to say he was better than George Gervin or The Admiral! Please!
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:17 pm
#32 wrote:Really? Do you know who Jud Buchelor is? No? He's got 3 rings...


Jud Buechler. If you're going to play smart ass, at least try to write his name well.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21366
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:26 pm
Rather ignorant the things you say sometimes #32

#32 wrote:Migya, read closer; I never said Duncan "wasn't that good." I said on an all-time scale, he doesn't stand out... you're making him seem like a modern basketball God and, the truth is, he'll be semi-forgotten by everyone but Spurs fans when he retires (kinda like Nate Thurmond with us).


You did say Duncan was "really not that good" in your previous post. To say Duncan does not stand out alltime is just WRONG. To say that a man who has won 3 championsjips, being the major reasons why his team won those 3 championships, and 2 straight MVPs will be forgotten at all is again WRONG. this man is an ongoing nba superstar who has been named among the best players (all nba teams), since he enterd the nba - Every year!


#32 wrote:Calling him one of the "greatest winners in NBA history" is pretty comical, though. He's nowhere close to that label.


Winning 3 championships and being the main reason why the Spurs won 3 times! - If you don't see that as a winner, especially due to the fact that not many superstar players have not won any championships let alone 3, is again a showing of your ignorance and/or just simple dislike of Duncan and obviously the Spurs as you have demonstrated before. I never really liked Bird BUT I would never say that he wasn't an alltime great!


#32 wrote:There's no denying the skills, but don't over-do it. He's a good player, but on an all-time scale, he's nothing more than average (saying he's special would be moronic). If you wanna place him at power forward, then fine... lets do it. Players like Charles Barkley and Karl Malone never won a ring and they'll always be considered better than him. Others like McHale who won championships are on a higher scale because they were pioneers of certain aspects of the game (McHale did to post moves what Russel did to shot-blocking and Magic did to passing). Even today, Duncan's not the unanimous choice for best PF in the league (a title that goes to Kevin Garnett). Dirk Nowitski, Jermaine O'Neal, and last season's Amare Stoudamire put up MVP caliber numbers, as well. Tim Duncan is not a basketball god no matter how much you think he is, migya.


Duncan and the word average don't belong together - Unless you are saying "the average for Tim Duncan is to come close to MVP every season if not win it and to win championships".

Charles Barkley and Karl Malone were great but Duncan is greater, hands done. Both were outplayed but duncan regularly as well and both have stated that he was the future and one of the best players they have ever seen. Both Barkley and Malone were not good enough to even carry talented teams to the championship. Barkley with the suns and rockets and Malone with the Jazz teams of the late 90s that were talented and played incredibly as a team.

McHale won championships because of a player named Larry Bird - Somewhat of an alltime star to many people and, yes, a very good reaon why the Celtics won. Also Parish, DJ and others had something to do with it as wel - Look things over!

Tim Duncan is and by quite a margin, the best PF in the nba right now! KG is great but Duncan takes him everytime because he does what has to be done to win! The other players you mentioned, even dirk who is the closest, do not even come close yet to Duncan. amare has much to show than just scoring and dunking - He needs to make his team win, especially since he has a very talented cast around him and a PG that has made him look very good and makes things easier for him.


Duncan is an alltime great! End of story!

#32, I respect you and like some of the things you say but others are just stupid and wrong, like this topic! Step back and look at things for how they are and use your brain! You will see that there are few in history like Tim Duncan
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13511
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:18 am
Migya, I think it's safer to stop this topic before things get out of hand. Most of the time we see eye to eye, but I'm losing respect for your opinion by the minute because you seem blindly biased on this topic. Let's call a standstill truce and just keep our own opinions.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:03 am
migya wrote:
Winning 3 championships and being the main reason why the Spurs won 3 times! - If you don't see that as a winner, especially due to the fact that not many superstar players have not won any championships let alone 3, is again a showing of your ignorance and/or just simple dislike of Duncan and obviously the Spurs as you have demonstrated before. I never really liked Bird BUT I would never say that he wasn't an alltime great!


Yeah, it's similar to me. I've never been a Spurs fan, and I don't really like the kind of basketball they play. But I'm not denying Duncan's greatness. There are so many big stars who never had a ring, what Duncan has done, leading his team to three of them is an amazing feat.

#32 is right. Let's leave this topic here before it goes overboard.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21366
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:00 am
End of story then
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
Previous

Return to Sports Board

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest