Hawks Considering Two Sign-And-Trade Deals For Smith?

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:42 am
http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/ ... for_smith/

Ive already voiced my opinion on trying to get Smith, I would give up Wright and Beli in a sec to get my hands on him, but i doubt it is us in the running as the article said it is a western power and im not sure we are considered a power after missing the playoffs. I could see the two teams being Detroit and the lakers.
Basketball would be depressing without the warriors
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:55 am
Yeah, even the most blind Warriors fan wouldnt call us an "NBA Power"

So dont think we are going to get a sniff at this.............not sure it would be the Fakers though, unless they were giving up Odom, which would be likely as they wouldnt need Bynum, Gasol and Odom........so maybe it is the Fakers.........f*ck.

Man............I would give up Al, Brandan and Marco for Smith.

Rookie
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:21 am

Why? Randolph will be Smith if not better in a few years. Plus Wright will be a stud. Also even though we aren't in total rebuild mode, we still aren't winning a championship this year! So why would we give up 2 big parts of our future for Smith who will demand a huge contract and put us in cap hell, and still not make us a championship contender. [-X

Role Player
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:51 am
Since Randolph seems to have an even better skillset, that might not be a bad idea, considering how good Josh is.

I think that would be great for the W's.

C Biedrins
PF Turiaf
SF Josh
SG Jax
PG Ellis
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:12 am
BDIDDY707 wrote:

Why? Randolph will be Smith if not better in a few years. Plus Wright will be a stud. Also even though we aren't in total rebuild mode, we still aren't winning a championship this year! So why would we give up 2 big parts of our future for Smith who will demand a huge contract and put us in cap hell, and still not make us a championship contender. [-X

Well, for me..........when you say "Randolph will be Smith"..........Smith is Smith NOW! and Randolph may not be Smith or better, you know...........plus, Smith is what? 22/23 not exactly old and can only get better from the lofty heights he has already reached.

Brandan a "stud"?............Im not sure, I mean I like what the guy has alot but I just dont see him getting any bigger (strength and weight wise) to be the PF we need........plus, I dont see him having that mean streak that a guy who is required to rebound and block shots at a high level needs.

Marco............again, the guy has alot more weaknesses that strengths right now.

Overall, Brandan and Marco are possibles, Randolph too but I have more confidence in him than I do those two............Smith is what he is now, and would put us much further up the road than Brandan and Marco will, now, with hardly any difference in age.

We wouldnt be in cap hell anyway either, as Smith will get around 12-13 mil, Al is on 9.5 or so..........so we arent losing alot of bodies, Azu and Morrow replace Marco's minutes, Smith and Randolph take Al and Brandans minutes.

Just think of Smith in our system, running the floor, blocking shots, being the beast he is NOW!.........not waiting for some things that may never happen.

Rookie
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:00 pm
Brandan a "stud"?............Im not sure, I mean I like what the guy has alot but I just dont see him getting any bigger (strength and weight wise) to be the PF we need........plus, I dont see him having that mean streak that a guy who is required to rebound and block shots at a high level needs.

Brandan is only 20 years old! you dont just get big over night. Give him some time. I am more then confident that he will be a STAR! I have been watching him since college, and think this kid is going to be a stud. Just my honest opinion.

As for you saying you dont see that mean streak that a good PF needs. Well there is this guy named Duncan who shows no emotion and is arguably the best PF to ever play the game. Now dont get me wrong, I am in no way comparing Wright to Duncan, but hes an example that you dont need to be a loud mouthed, tough guy to be great in the league.
[/quote]
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:07 pm
BDIDDY707 wrote:

Brandan is only 20 years old! you dont just get big over night. Give him some time. I am more then confident that he will be a STAR! I have been watching him since college, and think this kid is going to be a stud. Just my honest opinion.

As for you saying you dont see that mean streak that a good PF needs. Well there is this guy named Duncan who shows no emotion and is arguably the best PF to ever play the game. Now dont get me wrong, I am in no way comparing Wright to Duncan, but hes an example that you dont need to be a loud mouthed, tough guy to be great in the league.

When I say "mean streak" I mean more in terms of desire, the will to do the job and heart, definately not in terms of being a bad ass.

Duncan is the perfect example of it really, as he will do whatever it takes to win, has the confidence in his own abilities to do it and is an intimidator.

Of course Brandan is young, and hopefully will get bigger physically.........but right now he isnt, and he seems like a timid character, not the kind of banging, hardworker, get floored and get back up kind of guy...........Duncan was a winner and knew that straight away, and played that way straight away (his extra college years obviously helped, being bigger, and not being benched for his rookie year helped a little too)

So overall, with the possibility that it may not happen for Brandan..........with Smith only being 2 years older and being the "mean" ass shot blocker and intimidator that he is............Id take the finished product with even more room to grow, 2 years older, 10 mil more, over Brandan who looks soft to me and may not get to where we need him to be.

Smith is what we want Brandan to be now, 2 years older..............Brandan may not be what we want Brandan to be, and if he is it will take 2-3 years and then we pay him what wed pay Smith now but have to wait 2-3 years for it...........IF it happens at all...............see what Im saying? a finished prodcut is a safer bet than a possible product.

Rookie
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:18 pm
I definitely see what your saying about wanting to have the finished product right now. I guess its just me being the Wright fan I am not wanting to give him away. Been watching him since his Mcdonalds All American game and since I am a Tar Hell fan i guess thats why i dont want to give him away. But i do see your point and Only time will tell i guess..... But hopefully you are wrong!
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:22 pm
BDIDDY707 wrote:I definitely see what your saying about wanting to have the finished product right now. I guess its just me being the Wright fan I am not wanting to give him away. Been watching him since his Mcdonalds All American game and since I am a Tar Hell fan i guess thats why i dont want to give him away. But i do see your point and Only time will tell i guess..... But hopefully you are wrong!

Dude, I bought a Brandan jersey last year, dont know what that means but its something...........and I hope Im wrong too! (if we keep him that is :wink:)

If we were talking about trading Brandan for a guy who was 27+, then Id say stick with him and take the risk...........but if this deal could go down (which it more than likely wont, so weve wasted our time here :mrgreen:)..........then it is no risk at all, and we get what we want Brandan to be (because lets face it, Brandan is definately not going to be the bruising hulk we need inside) and possibly could be, straight away.

Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:36 pm
well, even through the article does say "powers", journalists and team executives love to stretch words out... i remember when rumors of Vujacic leaving, they said in headlines "Laker's Star"..... something you roll your eyes too.

its all about selling your product!

Rookie
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:51 pm
damn i really hope we get smith.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:42 pm
lakerfool wrote:Since Randolph seems to have an even better skillset, that might not be a bad idea, considering how good Josh is.

I think that would be great for the W's.

C Biedrins
PF Turiaf
SF Josh
SG Jax
PG Ellis

It'll be Biedrins, Smith, Maggette, Jackson, Ellis. Turiaf is coming off the bench. No way do they play Maggs off the bench. I just can't see that happening.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Role Player
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:44 pm
This belongs in the trade forum.

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:46 pm
Spree for 3 wrote:This is already in the trade forum. Why is it posted here as well?

this was posted before the one in the trades forum...and this one was speculation of a trade...the other one has names with what the trade might look like.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:47 pm
Spree for 3 wrote:This is already in the trade forum. Why is it posted here as well?

This one was here first if you look at the time it was posted...........plus, the original post is not about the Warriors specifically, just the realgm link that states 2 "NBA Powers" are involved.

The trade section one is E-Mans rumour about hearing about us involved.

Mistas in Warriors Basketball is just a copy...........and I dont believe him that he didnt check the trades section, seeing how IT IS HIS SECTION!!! :wink:
Next

Return to NBA Forum