Who Else Finds This Disgusting?

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Where should former players work after their playing days are done?

For their former team! Stay loyal to the fans that cheered you your whole career!
33%
Wherever they want! They should be able to work for their hometown team if they want to!
67%

Total votes : 3

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:16 am
I don't think they'll need a pg, Ridnour will be ok. And, about the center, they've been picking one in each of the last two drafts (Swift and Petro). Petro seems like a poor man Dalembert. He may be good someday, but it'll take time. Swift looks like a bust. They just need to get talent inside...
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:29 am
They can't go for anymore project players! They need someone who has played real well in college and is a sure thing to do well in the nba. Okafor and Howard were sure bets as was Ming. Just one more iompact player and the Sonics will be a middle pack team again, much better than where they are. Last season was really weird with them somehow soing well.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:49 am
Yeah, but Howard and Okafor where numbers 1 & 2 of the draft. Seattle didn't have those kind of elections. They could have gotten someone like Al Jefferson instead of Robert Swift, tho.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:20 am
Getting back to the topic, I agree with you to a certain extent, Thunder, but if you're a legendary figure like Larry Bird, I'd imagine you'd be able to find a high-paying spot in the franchise... even if it's not a GM position. Bird never persued a role with the Celtics, like Jordan never persued a role with the Bulls, and West left his extremely important, high paying job with the Lakers. They're all choosing their hometown over the town that made them famous. I'm sorry, but I disagree with that as a default. Obviously, I agree with what you say in regards to there being a better offer or there not being room in the franchise for those formers players, but not even persuing a role with the team you played for (when you have a known interest in continuing your involvement in the NBA after your playing days) is a slap in the face to me. If Jason Richardson has a fruitful, successful, amazing career entirely spent in Golden State, I would hope he lobbys for a job here before persuing a spot on the Pistons staff.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:23 am
Petro is a poor man's Petro.

If Seattle had a plan they would draft or trade up to draft either Lamarcus Aldridge or Josh McRoberts. They will have a full season of college coaching and play (two in Aldridge's case) and could step right into the lineup. Aldridge would be a better fit for them as he has a more center type game and body plus has another year of experience going for him.

I would bet on seeing a trend of rebuilding teams take the Bulls/Bobcats approach of drafting proven collegiate level players to help out a franchise.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:26 am
#32 wrote:Bird never persued a role with the Celtics, like Jordan never persued a role with the Bulls, and West left his extremely important, high paying job with the Lakers.

Not sure about Bird, but Jordan did it. But Jerry Krause was in charge at that time, so, what else could he do?, take another position within the team with no responsibilities?. At least Jordan wasn't doing it for the money, that's for sure...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:43 pm
TMC wrote:Yeah, but Howard and Okafor where numbers 1 & 2 of the draft. Seattle didn't have those kind of elections. They could have gotten someone like Al Jefferson instead of Robert Swift, tho.

Seattle might well get one of the top 2 or 3 picks the way they are going. ?They will need it to!

Yea, their picks have been rather interesting and just haven't worked out. they should give more time to the young guys like Wilkins and Collison

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:11 pm
TMC wrote:Not sure about Bird, but Jordan did it. But Jerry Krause was in charge at that time, so, what else could he do?, take another position within the team with no responsibilities?. At least Jordan wasn't doing it for the money, that's for sure...

Okay, remove Jordan from the argument then. Is it right for former players, like Bird, not to persue role's in their former team's franchise? As a fan, is that right?

It would be like Jason Kidd or Gary Payton coming to work for us after they retire. Unless there's been a trade I don't know about, neither have ever played for us and should, therefore, have no loyalty to the team aside from childhood memories.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:54 pm
Exactly, "except for childhood memories." I would say that the first 18-22 years of your shouldn't be thrown into the wind just to stay working with one team, especially if their is no opportunity there.

Also I don't think it is just to look at this just from a team persective. The team is a larger part of an area. So, if Kidd or Payton worked for the Warriors they would have no loyalty to the team but they may make their decision on loyalty to a community. You can't fault a guy for being loyal to where is roots are.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:39 pm
That's true, but contributing to the community and managing a team are two different things. I'm sure if GP donated a million dollars to a charity in Oakland it would mean a lot more than if he became GM of the Warriors in 5 years. It's a job, bottom line.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:44 am
#32 wrote:It's a job, bottom line.

Exactly, that's why I don't think it's a big deal. If they get offered a position within the team, great, but there are only 30 positions like those. The owner is the one who makes the election, not the former players. If the position is already taken, I find natural that they pursue others in other teams, even if they've never played for them.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:55 am
some former players just can't stay away from the game and that is understandable. They get a job where they can, like Isiah Thomas and they are happy because they sre still involved with the nba.

Bet Thomas still likes the Pistons over every other team but he just wants to be a part of it all still

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:46 am
migya wrote:Bet Thomas still likes the Pistons over every other team but he just wants to be a part of it all still

That's what I think. He can't do it in Detroit, so he did it in Toronto, Indy and now in New York.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:56 am
I dunno about Isiah... all I know is that this is something that disturbs me to see.
Previous

Return to Sports Board