Who Else Finds This Disgusting?

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Where should former players work after their playing days are done?

For their former team! Stay loyal to the fans that cheered you your whole career!
33%
Wherever they want! They should be able to work for their hometown team if they want to!
67%

Total votes : 3

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:52 am
Jerry West GM's for Memphis (despite playing his entire career for the Lakers), Larry Bird is in Indiana (after a career for the Celtics), Kevin McHale (a Celtic by law) is GMing in Minnesota for the Timberwolves, Isiah Thomas GM's for the New York Knicks (even though he's a legend in Detroit), and Michael Jordan (whose best days and most memorable were played in Chicago) is a GM in Washington...?

Meanwhile, Chris Mullin (originally hailing from New York) has made a living with the team that he played for! The Golden State Warriors have hired a VP of Operations loyal to both the city and the team... not simply his hometown. Magic Johnson's also a share holder of the Los Angeles Lakers, even though he attended Michigan State and he could very well do the same with the Pistons. He stayed loyal to the Lakers after a fruitful career. The same can be said for Danny Ferry, who's staying loyal to the Cav's after his playing days.

My big problem is this: after a team makes you their legend, after you become the all-time face of the team and have a freaking statue erected in the front of a team's building... isn't that your team? Don't get me wrong, I'm a Bay Area boy til the end... but if somehow I got drafted and played 15 seasons for the Trailblazers... well, I'd think I have a more deep-rooted, personal relationship with THIS team than with the one I cheered for from the sidelines in childhood. I mean, when every all-time champions video is played and you're bouncing up and down with your arms behind your head in a CELTICS jersey... is it really kosher to be sitting on the Pacer's sidelines just because you're from Indiana? I, personally, find this disgusting. Players like Jordan should be GMing for The Bulls, McHale for the Celts, Thomas for the Pistons, ect. Anyone else find this to be a disloyal slap in the face towards all the fans of these legend's teams? I know I'd personally be pissed if I saw Rick Barry GMing for the Orlando Magic. Any thoughts?
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:06 pm
I know where you're going, and, to a certain extent, you're right. They'd be better staying with the team they've been playing for. But things sometimes don't work that way. You think that Mullin would be our VP if Cohan and him were on bad terms?. And what happens with Dumars if Thomas were GMing in Detroit?. He'd be doing it for other team, or not doing it all. Either way, it's not fair for one of them.

What I mean is that it's not their choice where they get to work. I'm sure most of them woud like to stay with their teams, but they need to be given the chance.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:24 pm
Then is it just coincidence they all seem to find work in their home towns...? There's room for both Thomas and Dumars in the Pistons organization. Look at Richmond and Mullin. I just think most of these guys hop on their jets to their home town to work after their playing days... and I think it's ungrateful and wrong.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:17 pm
#32 wrote:Then is it just coincidence they all seem to find work in their home towns...? There's room for both Thomas and Dumars in the Pistons organization. Look at Richmond and Mullin. I just think most of these guys hop on their jets to their home town to work after their playing days... and I think it's ungrateful and wrong.

No, it's not coincidence. It's because having a big name from the town in charge of the team sells. Just that. And most of them don't have a lot of experience at that position, so they can't demand big salaries. It's a safe bet for owners.

About Thomas and Dumars, seems like Isiah needs to be in total control of every move. He wouldn't accept sharing responsibilities with someone else. Dumars seems to be the same. I don't see how they can coexist. It may work with others, not with those two.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:00 pm
One thing to remember is this: a good amount of these GMs ate taking the jobs because they grew up in the area.

McHale is a Minnesota native and Larry Legend is a product of French Lick, Indiana.

As for West, he grew up in West Virginia and taking the Memphis job is the closest to home for him.

But Jordan and Thomas, who knows. Maybe they just wanted to get involved in big markets.

It is tough with each of these situations because they may not have been offered a position by the frnachise that they played for. Very often they will have to go start out for a team like the Wizz because a Chicago position is not an option. You can't ask someone to sacrifice opportunity and personal challenge just for the sake of loyalty. I mean, if for some reason any of us were offered the Orlando Magic GM position we should and would take it, although we are all Warriors fans.

A bigger gripe though is when a person ditches a franchise not because of lack of opportunity, but because of cash. I was soooo disappointed when Nate McMillan went south a state after being with the Sonics for life. If he was an assistant with the sonics and Portland offered him a head coach position, then go for it. . . but he was already head coach. That is what I don't get.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:21 pm
Thunder wrote:One thing to remember is this: a good amount of these GMs ate taking the jobs because they grew up in the area.

McHale is a Minnesota native and Larry Legend is a product of French Lick, Indiana.

As for West, he grew up in West Virginia and taking the Memphis job is the closest to home for him.

That's what I mean! Even thought McHale and Bird grew up in different areas, there NBA team is CLEARLY the Celtics! I think it's a disgrace to leave the team that you played for for so long just because you grew up somewhere else. You made a career in Boston, not French Lick!

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:42 pm
all i have to say is that i wish every player did play for the team that made them who they become, but its their decision what to do. Im glad Mully's are GM.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:58 am
32, I see what you are saying, but it doesn't seem entirely fair to me.

For instance, let's say you are mid level manager that grew up in San Jose but works in SF. After having very productive sales in the city of SF for company A, company B offers you a higher job in San Jose. Would you feel obligated to stay with company A out of pure loyalty, especially when they are not offering you the same job?

Ideally, every player would stay with one team forever and that team would be their childhood favorite or the team close to home. But that is in a perfect world. Forcing people to choose between a city where they made a living and a city where they grew up based on loyalty to a team is unfair. It is trying to weigh the importance of one's home to the importance of where one rose to be. It can't be done on an across the board manners.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:06 am
On the money Thunder!

Nate McMillan leaving the Sonics was a shock and is like betrayal

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:12 am
migya wrote:On the money Thunder!

Nate McMillan leaving the Sonics was a shock and is like betrayal

Um, no, they lowballed him. If he had a better offer, it's natural he takes it. He has to take care of himself first, because if things go bad, he'd get fired in Seattle. Or do you believe the team would show loyalty to him if they were losing?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:25 am
I read he was offered 1 million more a year............. I tink either way he would be able to take care of himself and many others if he wants to.

Better chance of the sonics keeping him then the Blazers as he has been woth the Sonics for so many years and has served them well. The Blazers will toss him out like garbage if the team does badly for 2 or 3 straight seasons. If someone that has been a successful coach in the nba before appears, the owner of the Blazers will get rid of McMillan fast

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:43 am
Well, McMillan himself said it was a bussiness decision, so the Portland offer had to be better. Seattle's offer prolly was a millon over what he was earning.

And no one will show anyone loyalty while losing. At the begining of last year, there were rumors saying that it was going to be his last, that the Sonics didn't have plan to re-sign him, and then, the team played better than anyone thought. Seattle was forced to re-sign him, as he was a fan fave. Only McMillan and Wally Walker know the real reasons he left.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:47 am
He had a choice between 2 bad teams! The Blazers have more hope for the future though - sonics have a team that just isn't going to go anywhere good. They have to hope that Wilkins and the other young guys turn out great because guys like Potapenko, Evans and Fortson just aren't going to help them

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:54 am
migya wrote:He had a choice between 2 bad teams! The Blazers have more hope for the future though - sonics have a team that just isn't going to go anywhere good. They have to hope that Wilkins and the other young guys turn out great because guys like Potapenko, Evans and Fortson just aren't going to help them

Evans is all right. He can rebound and defend, he's effective as long as you don't expect him to do anything else. And Fortson is good for hustling out of the bench. But, yeah, they need something else. I'm sure that right now they're regretting having drafted Robert Swift two years ago.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:07 am
They are going to be real bad again this season and they have to pick the best center or power forward in the draft. They also have to attractive a good point guard, no need for great but stable. Be great for them if their young players develop but it is hard to see that they will.

Allen and Lewis will have to share the ball more as well

Next

Return to Sports Board