Billy Beane is an asshole

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes


Starting Lineup
Posts: 688
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:03 am
Location: Monterey
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:41 pm
I'm a life long fan, but I'm done with the A's until 2011. I don't care if they win when I don't recognize anyone in the uniform. They've kept 3 players, 2 I wish were gone 3 years ago. Chavez, and Crosby.

Rookie
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:13 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:50 pm
crosby coming along, chavy I love him, but he is always injured
I'm a warriors fan, how do you think I feel
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 5756
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:40 am
Location: On the couch watching sports
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:58 pm
cash wrote:crosby coming along, chavy I love him, but he is always injured


They are both EXTREMELY overrated. Crosby and Chavy are both decent players at best... they will both be out of the league by 2012. Watch.
2007 - GoldenStWarriors.com "Rookie of the Year"
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1563
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:02 pm
Location: Modesto, CA
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:29 am
I figure I will just quote myself for my opinion on the Eric Chavez situation.

sleandres wrote:Although he did make one bad choice, he should have kept Tejada (even if it turns out he is 50, not 34 ) instead of Chavez.
Image
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:37 pm
Well, Blanton was traded to the Phils for three minor leaguers. Great move, IMO. Blanton sucks and those prospects the A's are getting are considered as the Phils top prospects.
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 6145
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:13 am
Location: looking down at the Warriors practice facility
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:53 pm
I dont know anything about minor leaguers but if these are top prospects then that is a great trade.
_____________________________________________________
http://WWW.GOLDENSTATEWARRIORS-RT.COM
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:56 pm
From what I saw on ESPN, it rated one of them their number two prospect, another their number four prospect, and the other one just meh.

Moderator
Posts: 5353
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:21 pm
Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:23 pm
that blanton trade just comes to show you that billy beane knows what he is doing.

sadly i heard he is stepping down from head GM to be the Head GM of the San Jose Earthquakes of MLS. He will still be an associate GM i heard, or assistant, or whatever the title is called, but man i hope i'm wrong. I read it in the Sacramento Bee like a couple weeks ago.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1563
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:02 pm
Location: Modesto, CA
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:45 am
bada wrote:I dont know anything about minor leaguers but if these are top prospects then that is a great trade.


Adrian Cardenas was the Phillies #2 rated prospect according to Baseball America. He is only 20, can field, hit for contact & has plus speed. He should be with the big league club eventually, even if it is 3+ years away.

Matt Spencer, I am sure falls into the top 15 prospect category. Has good power, but cannot hit for contact. The pitcher, Outman, I cannot find anything on...I think he was just an "extra".

Cardenas was definately the centerpiece. As far as the other 2. it is waaay to early to tell. Still a good move, Blanton was overrated.
Image
User avatar
Role Player
Posts: 230
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:27 pm
Location: Dixon
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:59 am
I'm not an A's fan, but a good move on their part.

I feel bad for that state of small market teams like the A's/Twins/Indians/Marlins etc... These teams consistently build talent and once the players attain any value are forced to trade them away for new talent. This process just repeats every few years.

Baseball/Bud Selig like to portray that parity exists becuse every year some mid level team makes a run for the WS with a quarter of the payroll of the Yankees/Red Sox/Mets/Dodgers. What actually exists is a very small window of opportunity (2-3 years). After that, Yankees/Red Sox/Mets/Dodgers drive up market value of playes and teams are forced with dilemna of making the run or reloading for another chance. Even if you win, yous still lose the players. Look at the Marlins after 2 WS wins and the Indians this year.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1266
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:50 pm
Location: Alameda
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:49 pm
ajcardenas123 wrote:that blanton trade just comes to show you that billy beane knows what he is doing.

sadly i heard he is stepping down from head GM to be the Head GM of the San Jose Earthquakes of MLS. He will still be an associate GM i heard, or assistant, or whatever the title is called, but man i hope i'm wrong. I read it in the Sacramento Bee like a couple weeks ago.


All that speculation is a blow up of someone noticing David Forst is declining interviews. They coupled that with Beane's passion for soccer and lept of the cliff with it.

It might happen, but it is hardly a legitimate rumor. I'm sure Vegas would give you generous odds.

Moderator
Posts: 5353
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:21 pm
Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:09 pm
Thunder wrote:
ajcardenas123 wrote:that blanton trade just comes to show you that billy beane knows what he is doing.

sadly i heard he is stepping down from head GM to be the Head GM of the San Jose Earthquakes of MLS. He will still be an associate GM i heard, or assistant, or whatever the title is called, but man i hope i'm wrong. I read it in the Sacramento Bee like a couple weeks ago.


All that speculation is a blow up of someone noticing David Forst is declining interviews. They coupled that with Beane's passion for soccer and lept of the cliff with it.

It might happen, but it is hardly a legitimate rumor. I'm sure Vegas would give you generous odds.


yeah i hope your right. well im an earthquakes fan, but the passion for MLS soccer is minuscule in contrast to the 4 major league sports and golf and tennis. Beane is the Only GM in any of the 4 sports i'd pay as an owner big bucks for.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1266
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:50 pm
Location: Alameda
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:23 pm
ajcardenas123 wrote:yeah i hope your right. well im an earthquakes fan, but the passion for MLS soccer is minuscule in contrast to the 4 major league sports and golf and tennis. Beane is the Only GM in any of the 4 sports i'd pay as an owner big bucks for.


I'd put Pritchard up there as well now that he's acosted the oterh GMs in the league for a 3rd straight draft.

But yeah, eventually Beane will leave to try his hand at something else but I'm sure John Doyle would have something to say about Beane taking over as full time GM of the Quakes.
User avatar
Rookie
Posts: 156
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:02 pm
Location: CAL
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:00 pm
Theres a rumor that the A's might trade Huston Street to Mets or Brewers.
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:06 pm
GDS9 wrote:Theres a rumor that the A's might trade Huston Street to Mets or Brewers.


Wow, really? Looks like the Brewers are really getting serious about getting the talent they need to make the Fall Classic run. CC, Durham... Street?
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Previous

Return to Sports Board

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests