Ron Artest

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:50 pm
Can someone fill me in on what the Mavericks offered the Kings to acquire Artest? It's an insider on ESPN so I don't have access to it.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:51 pm
xbay wrote:Can someone fill me in on what the Mavericks offered the Kings to acquire Artest? It's an insider on ESPN so I don't have access to it.

Sure, here you go xbay

According to a source close to Dallas, the Mavericks offered 14th year swingman Jerry Stackhouse and fourth-year forward Brandon Bass for Kings small forward Ron Artest.
The Kings are not expected to entertain the offer if it doesn't include Dallas small forward Josh Howard, but the inquiry certainly reveals the level of the Mavs' interest. According to the source, Howard does not appear to be available even if the Mavs are looking for a significant addition after falling to New Orleans in the first round of the postseason.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:59 pm
So basically...

KINGS GET: Stackhouse and Bass
MAVS GET: Artest

Interesting. Yeah, if I was Petrie I wouldn't do that either. Artest is still very valuable despite his attitude and cockiness(guaranteeing playoffs). Especially since it's an offer from a Western Conference team.

Thanks, BTW.

Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:11 pm
yeah geoff petrie (Kings GM) is a pretty smart guy. so he probably will continue to wait until one team over bids. Its funny, the two teams the Kings hate the most are the two teams to submit trade proposals to them.

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:48 pm
ive said it before and i still stand by it...despite artest being a natural SF, i still think he can be a pretty good PF on our team. itd be like having stephen jackson at 4, except stronger and with a better basketball IQ.

im not sure the kings would go for it, but if i were mullin i would try and entertain a harrington and belinelli package for artest. harrington could play 3 or 4 for them (though id probably have him play 3) and with brad miller suspended for their first 5 games can easily start as their 4 .and belinelli could be their combo guard as beno's understudy.

on our side of things, we get artest who is a top 3 defender in the league, can make plays, can bother power forwards like jackson did only better, can be another emotional leader, and can shoot. with him and jackson anchoring our defense we would be scary on both ends of the floor.

i know a lot of you probably wont agree with me, and im ready to take the heat. this is just my opinion and has been since ive been a member of the board.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:06 pm
E-Man wrote:ive said it before and i still stand by it...despite artest being a natural SF, i still think he can be a pretty good PF on our team. itd be like having stephen jackson at 4, except stronger and with a better basketball IQ.

im not sure the kings would go for it, but if i were mullin i would try and entertain a harrington and belinelli package for artest. harrington could play 3 or 4 for them (though id probably have him play 3) and with brad miller suspended for their first 5 games can easily start as their 4 .and belinelli could be their combo guard as beno's understudy.

on our side of things, we get artest who is a top 3 defender in the league, can make plays, can bother power forwards like jackson did only better, can be another emotional leader, and can shoot. with him and jackson anchoring our defense we would be scary on both ends of the floor.

i know a lot of you probably wont agree with me, and im ready to take the heat. this is just my opinion and has been since ive been a member of the board.

well i disagree about the 4 spot thing, but i agree of being a huge ron artest fan (his game, not attitude). Ron Artest would limited his great defensive game, if he had to guard the opponents PF rather then their SF. With that said, if we had a legitamite shot of getting Artest, i would have perfer him to Magette, but i think the Artest persuit is too late.

E-Man, remember the Kings want to Unload Kenny Thomas to who ever team wants Artest, so i dunno if thats even an option

I accidentally referred to Xbay when it should have been referred to E-man. Apologies!

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:23 pm
ajcardenas123 wrote:
E-Man wrote:ive said it before and i still stand by it...despite artest being a natural SF, i still think he can be a pretty good PF on our team. itd be like having stephen jackson at 4, except stronger and with a better basketball IQ.

well i disagree about the 4 spot thing, but i agree of being a huge ron artest fan (his game, not attitude). Ron Artest would limited his great defensive game, if he had to guard the opponents PF rather then their SF. With that said, if we had a legitamite shot of getting Artest, i would have perfer him to Magette, but i think the Artest persuit is too late.

E-Man, remember the Kings want to Unload Kenny Thomas to who ever team wants Artest, so i dunno if thats even an option

I accidentally referred to Xbay when it should have been referred to E-man. Apologies!

the only time he would have to actually guard the opposing power forward is if they slowed the game down and set up on every play, which is when we bring in turiaf. but more times than not, the other team would make the adjustment and put a smaller player on artest before nelson put turiaf on their big man. ron artest has been known to guard the likes of big men and small men alike, much like dennis rodman did. rodman was only 6'8" 210. artest is just as good a defender (arguably better) and gives only an inch on rodman while having 30 lbs on him.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:14 pm
yeah i get your point e-man, and you are correct. Like i would love to have Artest, and he is a phenominal defender and even a decent shooter, but i dont see him playing the 4. And like i said earlier, the kings would want kenny thomas to be along in the trade. That means, al harington and one of our 1st round picks and another contract will need to be thrown in to get the salaries to match

you noted he is 6'7 as he is an inch shorted then rodman. Rodman was a much better jumper then artest is, which allowed him to leap pretty high (and his wingspan was pretty big for his height). Artest's build in contrast to Rodman's is totally different.

Also, i dont think rodman would have been as successful in today's game as the game 20 years ago, where he was the man in the 80's and 90's. players who are notable for defense only seem to be Taller and stronger, and with good leaping ability. Artest might be strong, but he's short and not the greatest jumper. I dunno, thats what i get from ron artest when i watch him play.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:25 am
Ron Artest might leave the nba very soon, he seems that dysfunctional

migya make the ring fall on ya

Rookie
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:02 pm
damn i feel bad for kings fan. theyre getting screwed on that trade.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:12 pm
j3kk wrote:damn i feel bad for kings fan. theyre getting screwed on that trade.

well, that is why they did not do it. It was just a proposal but Kings are demanding that Howard be part of any Artest deal as they should.

Return to NBA Forum