Tim Donaghy calls Official Scott Foster 134 times?

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:26 am
world b free fan wrote:
bigstrads wrote:
world b free fan wrote:If bigstrads had it his way the games would be 50 to 52 and they would play with shoulder pads and helmets. Sorry but the Lakers were twice better than any Spurs team with duncan on there and they were a prolific scoring team. To me if your a boring person you enjoy boring basketball. Maybe millitary geeks can enjoy popovich's drill instructor style of ball.

Read what I said again, maybe I need to put jazzy pictures and sparkly lights in there to excite you huh?..........I didnt say I wanted "it" any way.............I was simply saying that of course you are going to have differing styles, there always has been and there always will be.

I cannot stand to watch a single other NBA teams game, even the wild crazy ones like us.............it just bores me, as I dont care about them, I only watch highlights of those teams, and maybe a game that something special or crazy has happend (but even then I will fast forward to the interesting bits)..........all I care about is my team, and after all these years of losing, I now care about winning and doing what it takes to do so.

Dont try and label me up like Im some "boring person" for being able to see good qualities in teams that arent a bunch of chuckers and turnover machines ...........I didnt try and label you up like your some Jean Claude Van Damme sh*tty action movie watcher........although you probably are.

No but maybe you need to put pictures of the army and a drill instructor to excite yourself. I didnt say you were boring so lets not get paranoid. I said boring people like boring basketball. If you felt the need to insert your name in there thats on you.

Differing styles? There was never such low scoring boring terrible to watch basketball back in the 80's and early 90's.

Yeah, cuz I love the army and things of that nature (where does that comment even come from by the way? just because I said I like to see a team that knows what they are doing and has structure?)............ask anyone on here........Im a real right wing, establisment lover! :roll:

Anyway, all I am and have said, is that there always going to be a FEW teams that dont play that way..........seriously, how many teams in todays game do you include in your "scumbag/boring" title?...........3?...........4?

Even in those golden years of basketball you talk about, there were still boring teams who played ugly ball.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:27 am
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
world b free fan wrote:Thats funny because poppovich is a true to life scumbag to me. He teaches a dirty style of play which is basicly cheating. You know the old cheat as much as you can as much as you can get away with. I dont respect his style of play or the players that have played for him.

Right now as it stands the system is in place where low scoring hackfests are the norm and if you try and run, score and be creative you get resentment from idiot casual fans. I watch a couple hundred games every year so there is no way in hell I am gonna watch a full Spurs or Pistons season unless I want to hang myself. Someone needs to take pop and slam his head to the ground and see how he likes his style of play.

The goal is win but if you have to cheat like the spurs then screw that. The Spurs didnt invent the game of basketball with their style but they did help ruin the league. When I play basketball I dont cheat and if someone played against me like the Spurs play I would slam that person to the ground. The Lakers , celtics, sixers and rockets proved you can fastbreak, score a lot and still win in the 80's without cheating. Like I said people like you would rather watch horrible 53 to 51 games and win a title instead of enjoying the game.

You are missing the point. I dont care about Pop. He may be a jerk. To me, you can be as big of an ass as you want, as long as you get the job done. That was why T.O. and Bonds didnt bother me when they were in the Bay. They were jerks, but they backed it up, just like Pop has done. You are obviously so far in your ways that it is pointless to argue it. However, you can stay with your fun team and not make the playoffs every year. I will be watching the team that is winning. Simple as that. And basketball, like all sports, is not for FUN at a professional level. It is a buisiness and your only priority is to win. The Warriors have done sh*t at that, while the Spurs do it every year.

I am really not concerned about your points because at this point its all meaningless. Spurs dont win the title every year, 2 years ago the suns were robbed so you cant say they are the champions so your looking at 4 years ago since they won a title. You have to look at the Suns also as a running team that got it done and were in a posistion to win it it all but it was taken away from them. The only problem is the Suns had better parts than the warriors. I think your ideal Warriors team would be a team with a coach that teaches dirty play to cheat and break the rules and players like that to go along with it. Also stop bringing baseball into this because baseball is so ****ing boring and unbearable to watch. Wait!!!!! now I know why you want the warriors to play boring basketball!!!
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:35 am
world b free fan wrote:I am really not concerned about your points because at this point its all meaningless. Spurs dont win the title every year, 2 years ago the suns were robbed so you cant say they are the champions so your looking at 4 years ago since they won a title. You have to look at the Suns also as a running team that got it done and were in a posistion to win it it all but it was taken away from them. The only problem is the Suns had better parts than the warriors. I think your ideal Warriors team would be a team with a coach that teaches dirty play to cheat and break the rules and players like that to go along with it. Also stop bringing baseball into this because baseball is so ****ing boring and unbearable to watch. Wait!!!!! now I know why you want the warriors to play boring basketball!!!

Winning the championship is meaningless? Maybe for people who live under rocks. You ask anybody in professional sports what their ultimate goal is, it is to win a championship. It isnt to have fun or play fair or anything like that. People want to win. But, of course, you know more than those players.

Also, you say the Spurs dont win every year.... they have won, what, four this decade? Three maybe? How many have the Warriors won? None? Hmm, let's go back even farther.... Any in the '80's? No. 70's? That is my point. Sure, the Spurs are boring and they may play dirty, but they get the job done and that is all that matters.

By the way, dont attack baseball. Baseball is America's past time and always will be. Maybe just some jealousy?

Also, my ideal Warriors team is the one that wins. Maybe in a few years when Nellie leaves and we get to actually going for championships, this team may do it. Now, though, you can bank on no playoffs... again.... and fans will be happy on another "fun" season.
2007 - GoldenStWarriors.com "Rookie of the Year"

Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:28 am
well i kinda get what both sfX3 and worldBfree are trying to say, which i think IMO agree and disagree with different statements.

I agree with SFX3 on the fact that the Spurs shouldnt have to change its way of playing, just because its boring. Sure its no fun, but its effective. If someone is to complain, then challenge them with a better squad. They have won 4 times in the last 10 seasons. Thats pretty effective boring basketball. Greg Papa might me a jerk, but he's not being paid to be a saint, he is being paid to win, and he has done that. Also, i think SFX3 had a good analogy bringing TO and Bonds with his statement, so just because it had a baseball player, i dont think its any wrongdoing.

I do agree with what WorldB is trying to say. Spurs basketball is incredibly boring. I cant watch the spurs. But there is nothing you can do. I do agree that the spurs play a bit dirty, but they are not getting penalized. The AMAZING thing was that Bruce Bowen, who is notorious for being dirty, never had been suspended until this year. This is not the Spurs, or Papa's fault, its the league. Papa wont change anything if it aint broke.

Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:08 pm
I just did attack baseball and I will continue to do so since I think it stinks and its hella boring. The Warriors were a playoff team last year but had that taken away with suspensions. They were not gonna make the finals or win cause they werent good enough. I will be the first to admit if the warriors dont make the playoffs the season is a bust no matter what style you play. The number one goal is the win it all but not by cheating and disrespecting the game. That is the problem with this country(usa) win at all costs no matter how you do it. The utter greed and corruption going on in the country is terrible and this attitude of ruining anyones life to get that is very dishonest.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:13 pm
world b free fan wrote:I just did attack baseball and I will continue to do so since I think it stinks and its hella boring. The Warriors were a playoff team last year but had that taken away with suspensions. They were not gonna make the finals or win cause they werent good enough. I will be the first to admit if the warriors dont make the playoffs the season is a bust no matter what style you play. The number one goal is the win it all but not by cheating and disrespecting the game. That is the problem with this country(usa) win at all costs no matter how you do it. The utter greed and corruption going on in the country is terrible and this attitude of ruining anyones life to get that is very dishonest.

Earlier you said that basektball was just a game and should be fun...now you are compairing it to the corruption of the entire country???
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:21 pm
sleandres wrote:Earlier you said that basektball was just a game and should be fun...now you are compairing it to the corruption of the entire country???

He is just an idiot. :|
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:39 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
sleandres wrote:Earlier you said that basektball was just a game and should be fun...now you are compairing it to the corruption of the entire country???

He is just an idiot. :|

Haven't seen you in the SF Giants Forum lately...did you check out my All-Star break grades? I also posted an article about the new 16 yr old phenom Rafael Rodriguez

Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:52 pm
Come on no need to call yourself an idiot, have a little self esteem.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:58 pm
world b free fan wrote:Come on no need to call yourself an idiot, have a little self esteem.

LMAO!!!.........Wow..........truelly well done on that come back............why not go the whole way and just say "I know you are! but what am I?" :roll:

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:34 pm
bigstrads wrote:
world b free fan wrote:Come on no need to call yourself an idiot, have a little self esteem.

LMAO!!!.........Wow..........truelly well done on that come back............why not go the whole way and just say "I know you are! but what am I?" :roll:

am not... are too .....am not...are too ...im rubber your glue.....
I had the meaning but missed the experience.
T.S. Eliot
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:42 pm
JOEL wrote:
bigstrads wrote:

am not... are too .....am not...are too ...im rubber your glue.....

Or the ever famous.... "your mom is glue!" :mrgreen:
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:48 pm
ok guys... I let you guys go for a bit but time to cool it on the personal stuff.

Entertainment vs winning is an interesting debate. Lets get back to discussing that without the name calling.

Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:33 pm
The topic is about Tim Don anyway so no big deal. The guy basicly exposed the nba as the frauds they are. This is something I have known for years. David Stern put on his little act in the press conferences like the the typical lowlife snake lawyer he is. Did i mention lawyers and politicians are the lowest forms of life on this earth followed by republicans lol. By the way behind closed doors david stern was really pissed off about this whole incident.

Anyway many refs have been cheating for years and they were cheating for the Lakers and Spurs this during their runs this year. I just wonder if this year with all the pressure on the nba if they will continue to fix games.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:33 am
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
world b free fan wrote:Thats funny because poppovich is a true to life scumbag to me. He teaches a dirty style of play which is basicly cheating. You know the old cheat as much as you can as much as you can get away with. I dont respect his style of play or the players that have played for him.

Right now as it stands the system is in place where low scoring hackfests are the norm and if you try and run, score and be creative you get resentment from idiot casual fans. I watch a couple hundred games every year so there is no way in hell I am gonna watch a full Spurs or Pistons season unless I want to hang myself. Someone needs to take pop and slam his head to the ground and see how he likes his style of play.

The goal is win but if you have to cheat like the spurs then screw that. The Spurs didnt invent the game of basketball with their style but they did help ruin the league. When I play basketball I dont cheat and if someone played against me like the Spurs play I would slam that person to the ground. The Lakers , celtics, sixers and rockets proved you can fastbreak, score a lot and still win in the 80's without cheating. Like I said people like you would rather watch horrible 53 to 51 games and win a title instead of enjoying the game.

You are missing the point. I dont care about Pop. He may be a jerk. To me, you can be as big of an ass as you want, as long as you get the job done. That was why T.O. and Bonds didnt bother me when they were in the Bay. They were jerks, but they backed it up, just like Pop has done. You are obviously so far in your ways that it is pointless to argue it. However, you can stay with your fun team and not make the playoffs every year. I will be watching the team that is winning. Simple as that. And basketball, like all sports, is not for FUN at a professional level. It is a buisiness and your only priority is to win. The Warriors have done sh*t at that, while the Spurs do it every year.

No, SF..it is entertainment. The business aspect of it is quite obscene. Most people watch to be entertained. That is why teams like the celtics and lakers this year, the suns, the warriors, the lakers back in the 2000-2001 era and the bulls of the 90s (not to mention the lakers and celtics in the 80s) were teams that drew high ratings. They played exciting and beautiful basketball. Teams like the Spurs and the Pistons and the Pacers drew awful ratings. There was little pleasure in watching them play. To me, some of the detroit-Indiana 71-69 games have been artistic atrocities. Basketball was always a high-scoring game until the clutch and grab became institutionalized under Riley and Van Gundy in the early 90s. If you go back and watch a celtics-lakers final from the 80s you will see how much more tightly they called the game back then, actually calling a foul the way it is written in the book. When I see people banging and throwing each other around, with major contact, and there is no foul called, it is a joke to call it basketball. It starts to resemble rugby. The reason there has been something of a restoration of offense to the game has been the mild return to calling some of the rules that were in effect for the first 45-50 years of the league. Even in the most recent final, which I thought was really well played, my jaw dropped when I would see massive collisions in front of refs and NO CALL. In basketball, more than incidental contact is a foul, and it diminishes the game when the clutch and grab goons can get away with it, detracting from the genius of the skill players...Popovich has taught his players to flop and complain and trip and grab (they all do it), and that is a shame. It does not change that he is a great coach and the spurs have played excellent ball, making the most of their pieces, but it has been, for the most part, tedious to watch.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
PreviousNext

Return to NBA Forum