remember when the nba used to be a fun league?

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:21 pm
what happened? every night all out offensive warfare. fun fun fun!!!! Now its shitty hackfests 75 to 72. if you actually can score and run you see resentment by fans from low scoring teams and ****** ass espn announcers. the 80's and the early 90's were great, I hope one day the league shifts back to this style of ball.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:22 pm
Ill post this here aswell, as it addresses your thread =

I dont get this "boring" stuff............I mean its great that we play all crazy and wild, its entertaining...........but mostly because we have no idea what the outcome of a game is going to be, and a lead can be got or lost within a matter of minutes.

Exciting stuff yes but winning and ultimately satisfying..........no.

As long as we are not talking about mass/league wide slug fests.........then why not have a few Spurs type teams around? hell, theres only a handful that play like that............and funnily enough, the Spurs, a hard nosed slow Detroit, and defensive minded Celtics recently.........have all done some pretty EXCITING things recently, like win championships.

One more thing, I actually enjoy watching a team like the Spurs, as it is calculated and precise basketball.........technically sound, with disciplined players who know exactly what to do and what is expected of them.

Dare I say, this is how the game should be played?..........or maybe the entire NBA should just play street ball style, have a 40 second shot clock so guys can spend 10 seconds showing of handles, make a dunk worth 5 points and scrap all fouls...........how exciting would it be then? :roll:
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:40 pm
guess I will follow suit and post here as well considering the thread here is more appropriate for this post

sfsfsfgiants wrote: Would you rather win watching a boring team or lose watching a fun team? No question, I would rather win.

This is an interesting question and I am a bit on the fence but I think I would learn towards watching a fun team. I literally can not watch most of Eastern Conference basketball. I will not watch the SPurs play unless they are playing the Warriors.

To me Basketball is a very beautiful and graceful game... when played the right way.

In the years right before Magic and Bird came into the league, the league became a heavy slow down, isolation type game... No movement... just clear out and go one on one. The sport was dying.... attendance was down, ratings were down and not a lot of interest in the sport.

In came Magic and Bird who helped show a different way to play the game. They made passing a cherished commodity. The success they had on the court with making their teammates better ushered in a new era of the game. The game evolved and changed. Fans took notice and the game EXPLODED in popularity. The Showtime lakers played truly a beautiful game of basketball. The sport itself was just a thing of art to watch (even if the athletes were not as explosive as they are today).

In the last 5-10 years, the games has devolved in some respects back to that mauling, slow, and isolation type game and for me personally, I have lost a ton of my passion for the game. I LOVE the Warriors and that wont change... but now I wont typically watch a nationally televised regular season game between two random teams. I like watching the Suns play and a few others but that is about it.

I used to watch any game I could. No longer.

I feel fortunate that the team I root for plays an uptempo style game... they are not the old lakers but they do still entertain. It would be really hard for me to be a fan of a team like the Utah Jazz from a few years ago with Malone and Stockton. My god that was the most boring team I have ever seen. They had a lot of success but every freaking time down the court it was a high pick and roll and 3 other players just standing there. That is NOT basketball to me and I refuse to watch it.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:05 pm
At this point, I'm all for entertainment. I just cannot watch the style of play that gives you 60-70 points from one team. If the Warriors actually played defense and still maintained their fun offense, that'd be the best entertainment that I could ask for.

Rookie
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:20 pm
Your confused because the Warriors only average 110 and that is not that much when you really look at it. The Lakers, Celtics, Sixers proved you can play an up tempo style of ball and still win. Even the Rockets who didnt win the title but made it twice were using a fast break attack the way the game is suppossed to be played. Its a disrespect to the game to slow the game to a halt combine dwith a hack and whack style of ball is unwatchable. I hate to break the bad news to you but the game is for entertainment.

Every team should be fast breaking in the nba. I blame it on the coaches who have become so over conserative and scared for their jobs. The game is meant to be fun ,sorry if people dont like to enjoy themselves so maybe they should just follow fox news all day.

You can say the Warriors are out of control but the problem is that they have to force their tempo cause 95 percent plays this damn slow boring crappy ball. Overall it is proven you win and score and this is the way the game should be played.

Return to NBA Forum