What's the position that needs the most help?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Which position needs the most improvement on the Warrior's starting 5?

Center - Adonal needs some back-up (or, better yet, lets make HIM a back-up to someone better)
81%
Power Forward - Troy and Ike are decent, but we need someone who's gonna make an impact right away
10%
Small Forward - I'm tired of waiting on Mike, Calbert's too old, and Pietrus needs more development time. We need help.
5%
Shooting guard - Jason Richardson needs a more capable back-up for when he sits down. Mickael is good, but lets look for other options.
No votes
Point Guard - ... honestly, I dunno why you'd pick this one. Baron Davis is an all-star and Fisher would start on pretty much any other NBA team without Bibby, Kidd, Nash, or someone of the like. Explain yourself for picking this.
5%

Total votes : 21

Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:58 am
Like we say many times in Europe, we need a center to take rebounds with one hand and squise the oponents nuts with the other.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:40 am
Taft is looking like he will fight Biedrins for that Center spot. He is looking really good and if he puts in the effort, the Warriors will be just fine at Center

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:21 am
You're getting ahead of yourself, migya... the Warriors are going to start Adonal Foyle this season unless Biedrins or Taft have career seasons. I'm thinking about the future; Taft/Biedrins is legit. But this season? Can't see anyone but Adonal in the starting spot besides Murphy (and that would be for Ike Diogu only).
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:50 pm
Looks like foyle will start but if the Warriors start losing changes will have to be made and that will start with center. You'll see, the first change is at center, be it Murphy to center and Ike to PF (most likely). Biedrins and Taft must be on the mind of the coaching staff as players that can really contribute to the team right now. It all depends on the success right now of the team - If they keep winning most of their games, no change will even be considered

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:33 am
I agree... I think they'll move Murphy to center and Ike to the 4... but that means less time for Biedrins and Taft because you know they'll be subbing Foyle into the lineup at center.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:00 am
The way taft is playing I'm not so sure Foyle would be subbed in ahead of him

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:17 am
Well, he had an impressive game against the Jazz, but his play was pretty much identical to Foyle's against the Knicks yesterday. Consistency, the biggest problem with rookies, seems to be a factor with Taft. Until it's eliminated from the equation, I say we're better off regularly subbing Foyle and testing the waters with Taft game-by-game. When he's hot, keep him in. But when he's identical to Foyle, we might as well leave the bigger shot-blocker in.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:22 am
Well that is true in a way - Foyle gets more blocks so he may as well get some time but if Taft plays better offensively and supplies more energy then he will more deserving of time

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:28 am
True. All I'm saying is that rookies have a problem with consistency, so Taft may only play like that one out of every 5 or 6 games. Better off keeping Foyle on the reserve for consistent swats unless we know for sure that Taft is hot that game.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:20 pm
And would Monty do it?, I mean, ideally, the player who is playing better each game should be the one who gets the most minutes, but most coaches tend to stick to their veterans, like the have more confidence in them, or maybe it's loyalty to them... And mostly with important games on the line...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:37 pm
Exactly. Odds are, Taft wont get his break until next year.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:24 am
Be intersting to see what the mins for each player is near the end of the season if the Warriors are in the playoff hunt. I reckon the coach will have to go with who is performing better, regardless of age and experience. That could mean that Foyle might finally be replaced as a starter or have his mins dropped because of a younger player

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:52 am
If it's a playoff thing, they're all on equal ground. Baron, Fisher, and Cheaney are the only players on the team who've been to the post season. I'd say Adonal for his strong, veteran consistency... Taft's still too sporatic. We'll see at the end of the season.

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:24 am
I think from all of the posts done on this forum so far, ppl saying X player is the best thing since sliced bread or X player being horrible and discussing a trade for players A,B,&C. I think nobody really has had a chance to sit back a bit watch a couple of games, take a deep breath and analyze what the team is doing. (i'm guilty a bit of this myself)

However, from what I can see so far from the season, Dunleavy and Foyle have to pick it up. Second thing is, without Davis, this team seems to not have a direction in games. Well lets see what happens further into the season. Hopefully we see Jrich with more pnts and asts and not 14 rebs (which is pretty much Murphs and Foyles job). Not saying its bad, its just that Jrichs role should not be mainly on rebounds. Also, before all that, FREE THROWS! Maybe all these guys need to do the granny... Otherwise, they are doing a good job out there! :)

Tim
"The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else."
-John Madden
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:05 am
Um... I think we've all come to an agreement on all those points you made. Foyle and Dunleavy are not fan favorites on these forums, we've all acknowledged Baron's value to the team, and free throws have been the ONLY weakness anyone's been citing for two days now.

I've watched every single televised game for the past 4 seasons (no matter what). I can personally assure you (not that I speak for anyone else on this forum) that I'm not simply going off online highlights, written articles, or box scores. My opinion comes from actually sitting down and watching the games.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball