Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:39 am
http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_9860866?s ... ost_viewed

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:01 pm
i read another article i think in the trib that said his work out lasted 2 1/2 hours
I had the meaning but missed the experience.
T.S. Eliot
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:55 pm
Maggette was lucky to get such a contract offer and he knows it. Mullin overpaid, he should have offered 7 million a year even and that likely would have been enough. Looks like panicing the more I think about it

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:16 am
migya wrote:Maggette was lucky to get such a contract offer and he knows it. Mullin overpaid, he should have offered 7 million a year even and that likely would have been enough. Looks like panicing the more I think about it

maybe, but it could turn out alright, bro. Not too many places we were gonna find someone to replace Baron's 20 points a game, Maggette has a great work ethic, gets to the line 9 times a game and shoots 82%...if Monta can transition to the point and/or we get ridnour/heinrich, it'll be o.k. I also am convinced Mullin has one more move in him, probably involving Harrington
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:38 am
coltraning wrote:
migya wrote:Maggette was lucky to get such a contract offer and he knows it. Mullin overpaid, he should have offered 7 million a year even and that likely would have been enough. Looks like panicing the more I think about it

maybe, but it could turn out alright, bro. Not too many places we were gonna find someone to replace Baron's 20 points a game, Maggette has a great work ethic, gets to the line 9 times a game and shoots 82%...if Monta can transition to the point and/or we get ridnour/heinrich, it'll be o.k. I also am convinced Mullin has one more move in him, probably involving Harrington

Maggette scored over 20pts a game on a pathetic Clippers team last season, with Brand missing most of it. His opportunities to score were better than ever and it won't be the same here, actually he might take away from the other scorers of the team since he is not a creator for others but a creator for himself.

I really am not an advocate of signing Maggette, as I made obvious a few days before it was said Mullin could sign him. I think throwing the max possible, if needed, at a guy like JSmith or Deng would have been much better and filled needs. Monta had a great season last season, in which he was the SG, and now his role is vastly changed, really the worst time to do that to him.

Having traded Harrington for Hinrich or Felton plus filler would have been the best thing AFTER signing a star free agent, like the two guys I mentioned above. Yes, Maggette was unrestricted and so much easier to attain as once he signed here, that was it, his ours, where the others are restricted and could be taken away in less than seven days, but that still would have been a better move for Mullin to try and make. Even if he got Maggette at 7 million a year instead of 10 million, it would have allowed for another major free agent signing, as at least 12 million would have been left in the salary cap. From what I've read and it has only been about three articles on Maggette in the last few days, he looked to be getting the midlevel exception from some team, especially Celtics and Spurs. He must have jumped straight for the contract sheet to sign the moment he saw how much he would be getting and the length

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:42 pm
migya wrote:
coltraning wrote:

Maggette scored over 20pts a game on a pathetic Clippers team last season, with Brand missing most of it. His opportunities to score were better than ever and it won't be the same here, actually he might take away from the other scorers of the team since he is not a creator for others but a creator for himself.

I really am not an advocate of signing Maggette, as I made obvious a few days before it was said Mullin could sign him. I think throwing the max possible, if needed, at a guy like JSmith or Deng would have been much better and filled needs. Monta had a great season last season, in which he was the SG, and now his role is vastly changed, really the worst time to do that to him.

Having traded Harrington for Hinrich or Felton plus filler would have been the best thing AFTER signing a star free agent, like the two guys I mentioned above. Yes, Maggette was unrestricted and so much easier to attain as once he signed here, that was it, his ours, where the others are restricted and could be taken away in less than seven days, but that still would have been a better move for Mullin to try and make. Even if he got Maggette at 7 million a year instead of 10 million, it would have allowed for another major free agent signing, as at least 12 million would have been left in the salary cap. From what I've read and it has only been about three articles on Maggette in the last few days, he looked to be getting the midlevel exception from some team, especially Celtics and Spurs. He must have jumped straight for the contract sheet to sign the moment he saw how much he would be getting and the length

my guess is, they made big plays for Brand (actully offered him more than the 76ers did) and Arenas, and settled for Maggette for 1/2 the price. If they are done, other than signing Monta and Andris, the team will be marginally worse (though they could surprise.) If they move Al for a good PG, I think they will be better than last year's team.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:43 am
coltraning wrote:
migya wrote:
coltraning wrote:

my guess is, they made big plays for Brand (actully offered him more than the 76ers did) and Arenas, and settled for Maggette for 1/2 the price. If they are done, other than signing Monta and Andris, the team will be marginally worse (though they could surprise.) If they move Al for a good PG, I think they will be better than last year's team.

Don't think the team looks anywhere near as good as last season. Adding Maggette will take away from SJackson and also Monta, as he is a scorer that takes away from others. Without a great PG to distribute the ball well, that takes away from everyone. I'd like to see the team do well but don't see this lineup doing so. Mullin has to get a very good PG and play BWright more, hoping he plays well

Return to News Articles