Zach Randolph to Clippers?

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:36 pm
Saturday, Jul 12, 2008 10:26 am EDT

Knicks, Clippers involved in trade talks for Randolph

Stephon Marbury's future remains unresolved, but the Knicks are on the verge of moving another big contract — Zach Randolph's. A person close to the situation confirmed Friday that the Los Angeles Clippers have approached the Knicks about acquiring Randolph in an effort to make up for the sudden loss of Elton Brand to free agency.
The story was first reported Friday by SI.com, which said Knicks president Donnie Walsh turned down the Clippers' offer. It was not known which players would be going to the Knicks in the deal, but it would not have to be a salary match because the Clippers are well under the cap. Randolph has three years and $48 million left on his contract. The Knicks, with an eye on being in the same position by 2010, would not accept contracts that go beyond that year in return for Randolph, who averaged 17.6 points and 10.3 rebounds last season. He was acquired from Portland by Isiah Thomas on draft night in 2007 for Steve Francis and Channing Frye.
It is believed that Walsh was hoping to pry Eric Gordon, the seventh overall pick in the NBA draft, as part of the deal. That move seems unlikely, but it is expected that Walsh will talk again with the Clippers, who also are participating in the NBA Summer League here. The source said Walsh has been "very active" in trade discussions and is "looking at these types of transactions constantly." Marbury also is brought up in trade discussions, but most teams interested in the 31-year-old point guard would rather wait for the Knicks to buy him out of the final year and $21.9 million left on his contract, then tender him a veteran's minimum contract.
Source: Newsday

If this trade goes through, will the Clippers still be able to get Josh Smith? If not, than that makes the Warriors the front-runners because it was believed that the 76ers and Clippers were chasin. But with two huge contracts (Randolph 3 years 48 mil, Brand 5 years 80 mil) I dont think hes going.

If it goes through, the Knicks are adding by subtracting, clearing space for Lebron. The Clippers....well....I can see their logic, lose a big man get a big man. But Zach is fat, can't rebound, lazy, and overpaid.

Thoughts?
Last edited by d1mex on Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:43 pm
Damn, I thought you were talking about Anthony Randolph. :mrgreen:
2007 - GoldenStWarriors.com "Rookie of the Year"
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:01 pm
Definately would put Mullin in a better position to offer JSmith something and maybe land him. There are plenty of teams under the salary cap so other offers for JSmith will likely happen but the team is a very attractive loaction for JSmith right now

migya make the ring fall on ya
Role Player
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:19 pm
migya wrote:Definately would put Mullin in a better position to offer JSmith something and maybe land him. There are plenty of teams under the salary cap so other offers for JSmith will likely happen but the team is a very attractive loaction for JSmith right now

If this trade went through Memphis and GS would be the only 2 teams under the cap. The 6ers, Bobcats, Bulls, and Hawks could be, but they have cap holds on their players. So it really isn't that much.

I'm worried the Clips are thinking of this because Smith and Okafor are asking for too much money.
I give MC's the runs... drippin'...
~
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:29 am
Read somewhere the Clipps offered a future 2nd round pick lol. Walsh said he thinks he can get better
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:48 am
migya wrote:Definately would put Mullin in a better position to offer JSmith something and maybe land him. There are plenty of teams under the salary cap so other offers for JSmith will likely happen but the team is a very attractive loaction for JSmith right now

Hey Miggy, or anyone else for that matter, have you heard/read anything showing the Warriors true interest in Smith? I haven't, which leaves me a bit concerned and puzzled. He seems to be a perfect fit for the team, and they seem to have the money availble to make a run at him.

Maybe this is the Warriors putting up a front, pretending to not be interested? Or are they really making a poor judgement on the situation.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:14 am
sleandres wrote:

Hey Miggy, or anyone else for that matter, have you heard/read anything showing the Warriors true interest in Smith? I haven't, which leaves me a bit concerned and puzzled. He seems to be a perfect fit for the team, and they seem to have the money availble to make a run at him.

Maybe this is the Warriors putting up a front, pretending to not be interested? Or are they really making a poor judgement on the situation.

Nothing! A few days ago one of the NBA writers (cant remember who) said the Warriors have not shown any interest in Smith and have not contacted his agent yet.

Role Player
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:32 pm
Atlanta will match anything we can offer. Clips are the only team that could offer him the max.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:47 am
bada wrote:
sleandres wrote:

Nothing! A few days ago one of the NBA writers (cant remember who) said the Warriors have not shown any interest in Smith and have not contacted his agent yet.

And they won't contact him. Adding him to the current lineup just creates a logjam of SF players and though he can play PF, especially in the Nelson system, Mullin will likely get a PG if he does add another player at all.

If Mullin was going to sign JSmith, it was going to be before he signed anyone else

migya make the ring fall on ya

Return to Trades