Josh smith....

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:03 pm
Can 'W's gone wild' the next season...
sign monta and beans.....go for J.Smith and i know we will over salary cap but J.smith can help us a lot...if we offer him $11 mill probably Hawk will not go for it.
But, W's will not go over salary cap so that's kind of impossible....
one way to do it is if we could trade AL(making $9-10 Mill) away for future pick and then go for J.smith by $11-12 mill....i know it sounds crazy but if we have this line up....

baron
Monta
B.Wright
J.Smith
Beans

that's pretty solid and they are "YOUNG AND DANGEROUS"
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:21 pm
that would be cool, but I would also trade a resigned Pietrus and a future 2nd rounder for Chris Paul. But you know what, we would still be hurting for an inside presence so I would move Stephen Jackson to Orlando for Dwight Howard.

:mrgreen:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:39 pm
bada wrote:that would be cool, but I would also trade a resigned Pietrus and a future 2nd rounder for Chris Paul. But you know what, we would still be hurting for an inside presence so I would move Stephen Jackson to Orlando for Dwight Howard.

:mrgreen:

is josh smith free restricted FA this year....????
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:57 pm
Even if he is, there is no way that the Hawks let him go.
2007 - GoldenStWarriors.com "Rookie of the Year"
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:23 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:Even if he is, there is no way that the Hawks let him go.

ok my bad...but who knows the case will be like arena... :mrgreen:
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:46 am
GSW United wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:Even if he is, there is no way that the Hawks let him go.

ok my bad...but who knows the case will be like arena... :mrgreen:

Bit of a difference though in the situation, in terms of what Smith earns now and what Arenas was (Smith was a top 15 pick on a rookie scale contract and Arenas was a second rounder on a 2nd rounder contract)

Plus, the fact that the "Gilbert Arenas Ruling" was invented after that because it was such a travesty............no team wants to suffer that kind of set-back...........

Again though, we dont have any cap room to sign him to an offer sheet as a restrcited free agent, that Atlanta wouldnt be able to match.......... so he goes no-where unfortunately.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:03 pm
Unless one has some sort of matching rights one can not go over the cap by signing a free-agent from another team (unless one uses an exception).

The only relevant exception we have at our disposal is the mid-level which likely will be something like 5.5 which is way less than what Josh Smith will get.

In other words, it's not the Warriors unwillingness to go over the cap or pay luxury tax that prevents us from signing Josh Smith even if the Hawks would not match a large salary for him.

We simply can't. If Baron opts out we could maybe do that if we managed to low-ball Monta or Andris but he won't and we won't be able to. After he picks up his options and we resign the young guns we'll be very very close to the luxury tax without having even offered contracts to Matt Barnes, Kelenna, Pietrus, CJ Watson or Austin Croshere.

Face it. We're not going to use the mid-level exception or the trade exception for Jason. We can't afford to. I would also expect a salary dump trade of Al if we can work one out. Baron and Foyle will come off the books after next season and then we'll have some cash. Until then our hands are tied. There'll be no Posey.

Return to Trades