2008 NFL Draft Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:54 pm
Desean Jackson finally goes.

Donovan McNabb hmm... this has smellings of McNabb to T.O in hookups not off mic commentary problems. This is a great fit.
All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:33 pm
well...some of u guys hate Raiders pick mc fadden but i could see what is Al Davis thinking...
1. He will use Double Dragon RB...Bush and Mc Fadden as future DUO RB(fargas sidekick), this system is going to work while jordan will leave the team within a month.About Rhodes, probably his role as a runner in special team(punting)
2. Al will not let a future superstar on other team or else they will use that player to harm Raiders...
3. For me, pretty nice move but Jordan and rhodes need to leave the team ASAP....maybe we can give Jordan to Bucs and TMC will love him so much :wink:
4. Raiders need some special offensive force to help Jamarcus Russell and Mc fadden is the best one.Franchise QB and Franchise RB while Hall and asomugha in the back secure the D-line... :wink:

I was thinking Niners going to pick receiver but end up with the D-tackle(K balmer).....i really wish niners can get good receiver coz they can't rely too much from gore...
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:44 am
GSW United wrote:3. For me, pretty nice move but Jordan and rhodes need to leave the team ASAP....maybe we can give Jordan to Bucs and TMC will love him so much :wink:

Don't even dream about it... I wouldn't want Jordan in the Bucs, not even if he were willing to play for free.

Ok, our second pick was even worse than the first. Dexter Jackson from Appalachian st??? With Limas Sweed, Manningham, Dan Connor, or Brian Brohm available we pick Dexter Jackson? wtf??

Well, at least now we have a deep threat. The kid's lightning quick, although that's the only positive about him. Basically, we've used a second round pick in a punt returner...

Word out of Tampa is that Gruden wanted Mendenhall in the first, but finally allowed Kiffin to make the pick, and Kiffin decided to go with Talib. Can't say I like the pick, but I don't hate it either... but Dexter f*cking Jackson in the 2nd??? We could have drafted him in the fourth round, for god's sake. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

As for a first day review, this is how I see it:

Winners:

KC Chiefs: Glenn Dorsey, Branden Albert and Brandon Flowers in day 1. I'm sure they never even dreamed about a bounty like that.

Miami Dolphins: Didn't make a single risky pick, with Long and Merling as their two first picks and adding Henne at the end of the second round. Good job on day 1 by Parcells and Co.

Baltimore Ravens: They got the QB they were looking for and raped the Jags on their trade.

Pittsburgh Steelers: They're here due to luck more than anything. How the f*ck did Mendenhall fall to them? And Limas Sweed in the second round is also a great pick (due to US trading down... FIRE GRUDEN!!!).

Washington Redskins: Traded down and added Malcolm Kelly, Devin Thomas and Fred Davis all in the second round. That's a lot of value.

Losers:

Jacksonville Jaguars: Traded a sh*tload of picks to pick Derrick Harvey #8 overall. That's a terrible move, if you ask me. They got a value pick with Groves in the second, but he also playes DE, so it wasn't a need.

Tennesse Titans: Chris Jonhson in the first is the worst pick of the draft. Period.

Houston Texans: No wonder that this franchise stinks so much. They trade down and waste their pick in Duane Brown, who was, at best, a second rounder.

San Francisco 49ers: When you draft two guys with "bust potential", you're not having a very good draft...

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: I can live with Talib in the first, but Dexter Jackson in the second was a major reach, and the fact that we traded down with Limas Sweed available makes it even worse.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:14 am
I actually like the 49ers picks. They weren't the "sexy" or big name picks, but Balmer was actually projected to go closer to the mid 1st round, but the two teams he filled a need for were Philly and Jacksonville and both of them traded out of that spot and the rest of the teams drafted offense. I like him a lot, he's very versatile, will definitely fit in the 3-4 at DE and in the 4-3 at DT. Plus if he is able to put on some weight he'll be a great fit for a 3-4 NT. Good raw product with an even greater upside.

Chilo Rachel, the OG is not necessarily a pick I would have chosen. However he is SOOOO a Martz offensive lineman that I'm definitely not surprised. He's a great run blocker and a marginal pass blocker. He also was the best O-Lineman available at that pick and hasn't allowed a sack in his last 21 starts (so two college seasons at USC facing some of the best D-Lineman). Like I said if I had my choice I would have picked someone else, but I completely and totally understand why they picked him and I'm not unhappy with him.

I think a lot of people are thrown by the fact that these names aren't big or flashy, but the fact is they were drafted right around where they were projected to be drafted and are just as solid as any of the other prospects.

Edit: I probably should have posted that in the 49ers thread, but I'm too lazy now. My bad.

Here to make it NFL I will say that the Titans had the world's stupidest two rounds of the draft and KC kicked everyone's ass.
All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:36 am
kind of weird..niners need WR but i didn't see they pick any receiver yet.. :?:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:09 am
GSW United wrote:kind of weird..niners need WR but i didn't see they pick any receiver yet.. :?:

Nope. But in the meantime, we've wasted another pick in a f*cking guard... for the third year in a row. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

FIRE GRUDEN!!!
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:22 am
I will finish updating our team's draft picks when the draft is over. :wink:
2007 - GoldenStWarriors.com "Rookie of the Year"
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:11 pm
GSW United wrote:kind of weird..niners need WR but i didn't see they pick any receiver yet.. :?:

its un mother ****ing believeable,im pretty pissed.

we took all linemen except for a cb right?

oh and thanks sf for when you put the picks up :wink:
Go Ham
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:20 pm
webelieve wrote:

its un mother ****ing believeable,im pretty pissed.

we took all linemen except for a cb right?

oh and thanks sf for when you put the picks up :wink:

We took a D-Lineman, two O-lineman, a CB, a WR and an OLB. All of things we needed addressed.

I love our first 4 picks (I already talked about Balmer and Rachal). Reggie Smith CB, in the 3rd was awesome, he was a late 1st to 2nd round pick except he broke his toe and missed the combine. He's got great size for a corner and is very physical. He also can play FS, something that we need really badly. He will fit where we need him, like Balmer and Rachal, he is a very versatile. Then in the 4th we took a Center, which will either back up Heitmann or depending on his success take over the center position and allow Heitmann to move back to his natural position at tackle. My only concern with him is that he is a little underweight for a center, however he is very tall and should be able to put on weight.

Our 6th round pick I don't understand at all, Josh Morgan, WR from VaTech. He has a huge upside, but an arrest and a reputation for being lazy and losing concentration...not sure where this one was going. And then the 7th round pick, our OLB that we are expecting to play TED behind Ulbrich. He's a little undersized, but is a decent pass rusher, with 10 sacks in two years (not huge numbers, but that's why he's a 7th rounder) at Ohio St.

Overall I liked the draft, not crazy about our 6th and a little unsure about our 7th, but those players aren't even expected to make the team, if they do it will be a surprise.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:11 am
TMC wrote:

Nope. But in the meantime, we've wasted another pick in a f*cking guard... for the third year in a row. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

FIRE GRUDEN!!!

Man Al Davis will give the Bucs draft picks next year if you fire Gruden... i too would be happy for Chucky to go. Oh the humiliation.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:31 am
PAWNOGRAFFITI wrote:Man Al Davis will give the Bucs draft picks next year if you fire Gruden... i too would be happy for Chucky to go. Oh the humiliation.

Deal. Give us back our picks and Gruden can be yours again if you want him. :wink:

Let's talk about the draft now that it's over. Some of you (like Cap) have already posted what you think about your draft, but what about the rest of you?. Come on, Bada, XBay, SF3, Pawno... I want to read your take.

Here's mine, round by round:

1.- Aquib Talib (CB): It was, apparently, Monte Kiffin's pick, so I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt. Based on talent, it's a good pick, and should be a good fit for the Tampa 2 system. Gruden is saying that he reminds him a lot of Charles Woodson back in the day when he was the Raiders coach.

Still, there are lots of concerns, both about his game (loses focus and can get caught out of positions often, risks too much...) and his character (that everybody knows about).

The jury's out on him. I'm not happy with the pick, but I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt.

2.- Dexter Jackson (WR): Maybe the front office thought it would be funny to have another Dexter Jackson on the team... In any case, this midget is fast, that's for sure, and that's something we needed. But passing on Limas Sweed for a guy like Jackson is a BIG mistake.

3.- Jeremy Zuttah (OG): Didn't allow a single sack in his last two years, is versatile enough to play anywhere on the o-line, although he's clearly a guard... whatever. It's the third year in a row we pick a f*cking guard with one of our first 3 picks.

4.- Dre Moore (DT): I LOVE this pick. Best pick of the whole draft for the Bucs. If he can be a bit more consistent, this guy can become one of the better DTs of this draft, and he also fits a big need. Looks like a steal.

5.- Josh Johnson (QB): Ok. So now we have 7 QBs on our roster. No biggie. Simms will be cut soon, as will Bruce Gradkowski, and Plummer is retired. McCown can also be traded or cut, which means Garcia is gonna be the starter and Griese the backup. Johnson will spend the whole year learning (hopefully).

As for the pick, I also liked it. Johnson hasn't played against top competition, so he's gonna have a hard time adjusting to the NFL, but he's a great project to grow for the future. I mean, a QB that throws 43 TDs passes vs just 1 INT has to be a talented one. From the reports, he's also pretty athletic, which is always a positive. He might end up a bust, but in the fifth round, it's a risk I'm willing to take.

6.- Geno Hayes (LB): Decent value pick. A local guy that will be Derrick Brooks backup. Doubt he'll see the field other than in special teams, but was a good pick in the 6th round.

7.- Cory Boyd (RB): Meh.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:23 pm
Captain-Jack wrote:We took a D-Lineman, two O-lineman, a CB, a WR and an OLB. All of things we needed addressed.

I love our first 4 picks (I already talked about Balmer and Rachal). Reggie Smith CB, in the 3rd was awesome, he was a late 1st to 2nd round pick except he broke his toe and missed the combine. He's got great size for a corner and is very physical. He also can play FS, something that we need really badly. He will fit where we need him, like Balmer and Rachal, he is a very versatile. Then in the 4th we took a Center, which will either back up Heitmann or depending on his success take over the center position and allow Heitmann to move back to his natural position at tackle. My only concern with him is that he is a little underweight for a center, however he is very tall and should be able to put on weight.

Our 6th round pick I don't understand at all, Josh Morgan, WR from VaTech. He has a huge upside, but an arrest and a reputation for being lazy and losing concentration...not sure where this one was going. And then the 7th round pick, our OLB that we are expecting to play TED behind Ulbrich. He's a little undersized, but is a decent pass rusher, with 10 sacks in two years (not huge numbers, but that's why he's a 7th rounder) at Ohio St.

Overall I liked the draft, not crazy about our 6th and a little unsure about our 7th, but those players aren't even expected to make the team, if they do it will be a surprise.

I really like the 1st 3 picks...although there were 3 WR's I feel could have been given a chance in the 3rd rd: Early Doucett, Harry Douglas and Mario Manningham. But I also understand the DB from Oklahoma was a very good pick, and definately the best player available.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:10 pm
TMC wrote:[Let's talk about the draft now that it's over. Some of you (like Cap) have already posted what you think about your draft, but what about the rest of you?. Come on, Bada, XBay, SF3, Pawno... I want to read your take.

I dont know a whole lot about any of the guys they drafted, so I would be kind of useless giving my take. I am just glad they drafted for needs, with the exception of a reciever, who they should have taken in the second or third.
2007 - GoldenStWarriors.com "Rookie of the Year"
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:03 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
TMC wrote:[Let's talk about the draft now that it's over. Some of you (like Cap) have already posted what you think about your draft, but what about the rest of you?. Come on, Bada, XBay, SF3, Pawno... I want to read your take.

I dont know a whole lot about any of the guys they drafted, so I would be kind of useless giving my take. I am just glad they drafted for needs, with the exception of a reciever, who they should have taken in the second or third.

Same here.

Don't know anyone. Would've liked Manningham or Sweed, but I'm fine with Smith.

Bada's Seahawks got a solid pick in Justin Forsett in the 7th. The kid was about to become a free agent with possibly, the Buffalo Bills. Instead, he goes to Seattle. Wish him the best up there.

My favorite picks in the first round...

Jonathan Stewart to the Panthers.
Chris Johnson to the Titans.

My least favorite picks...

McFadden to the Raiders.
Derrick Harvey to the Jaguars.
Joe Flacco to the Ravens.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 pm
I got a kick out of the Pats going with Jerod Mayo. I hope I am right with my humble prediction that this dude is overrated. I would love for NE to blow a # 10 pick.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board