San Jose Earthquakes

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:02 pm
Since pretty much every Bay Area team has their own thread now I thought I'd start one up for the Earthquakes, knowing full well I'm probably the only person who cares for them.

How about that 2-0 win against the Rapids? Is Shea Salinas to the Earthquakes what Brandan Wright is to the Warriors?

Okay, I'll be shocked if anyone responds to this thread unless it is to talk about the Premiership, but that's cool too.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:57 pm
What happened last year? I didn't see them in the standings or newspaper at all for last year's season of MLS.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:03 am
Who's playing for San Jose nowadays?. I remember when Landon Donovan played there, and also Jeff Agoos (sp?), but I can't remember anybody else of note...
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:57 am
San jose has a soccer team?
Go Ham
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:16 am

Yes they do. It's kind of a secret. They're an expansion team in MLS this year, although they were in the elague from 1996 to 2005 before the dickhead ownership group moved the team to Houston, which brings up

What happened last year? I didn't see them in the standings or newspaper at all for last year's season of MLS.

They moved to Houston in 2005 but treated the Houston move as an expansion to Houston, meaning all the titles and such stayed with San Jose. Lew Wolff got things rolling shortly after to revive the Quakes and after a two year hiatus they're back in the league this year.

Who's playing for San Jose nowadays?. I remember when Landon Donovan played there, and also Jeff Agoos (sp?), but I can't remember anybody else of note...

Yeah, Landycakes jumped ship to the LA Galaxy and plays with Beck Spice and Agoos either retired or is playing in the NASL (not sure). Since they're an expansion team this year they don't have any really notable players - the most famous guy is probably Joe Cannon who's a pretty good keeper and I think has a national team cap.

Really though the team is pretty good for an expansion side and has a pretty promising future. They have a front office that knows what it's doing and has a track record for building title teams.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:49 am
Thunder wrote:

Yes they do. It's kind of a secret. They're an expansion team in MLS this year, although they were in the elague from 1996 to 2005 before the dickhead ownership group moved the team to Houston, which brings up

They moved to Houston in 2005 but treated the Houston move as an expansion to Houston, meaning all the titles and such stayed with San Jose. Lew Wolff got things rolling shortly after to revive the Quakes and after a two year hiatus they're back in the league this year.

That explains where the Houston Dynamo comes from... I was wondering when it was created after watching the standings last year.

Thunder wrote:Really though the team is pretty good for an expansion side and has a pretty promising future. They have a front office that knows what it's doing and has a track record for building title teams.

A track record for winning teams?. Is it the same front office that built the former Earthquakes?
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:19 pm
Frank Yallop is the coach (and I'm pretty sure he calls all the shots when it comes to signings). He was the coach when they won the two cup titles and was responsible for bringing a ton of the talent for those teams - namely Agoos, Donovan, and DeRosario.

Return to Sports Board