Barry Zito Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:08 am
F U and your $5000 per pitch paycheck
Last edited by Rehren1296 on Wed May 07, 2008 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:25 am
He sucks ass....

/End thread/
2007 - GoldenStWarriors.com "Rookie of the Year"

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:57 pm
from bonds to barry
I had the meaning but missed the experience.
T.S. Eliot
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:25 pm
The real question here is why Barry Zito deserves a thread? Move him down the rotation while we still can because well... he sucks.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:19 pm
Barry Zito makes 5.7K per pitch.

Thats disgusting.

Than again, Baron Davis makes 9K per shot attempt...
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:26 am
Zito is a junk ball, ground-out pitcher, he'll never be any good unless our infield decides to stop committing bullshitt errors. Seriously, I know the guy has to take much of the blame, but I'm not just imagining that we have one of the worst infields EVER! Visquel can't come back any sooner - for Zito's sake. If anyone thought that Zito would be an 11 strikeout guy they are stupid, he's not that kind of pitcher.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:44 pm
I can see how you guys are mad at Zito, but you should really be aiming your anger at ...

1. Scott Boras for driving up Barry's price and

2. Brian Sabean for being an idiot and falling for Boras' pricetag.

Zito is a perennial slow starter and will be a decent #3 when the year is over.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:13 pm
I, as well as all Giants and A's fans, can blame Zito if I/we want. Zito knew there were at least a hand full of teams that would pay dearly for "quality" (haha, I know) starters such as the NY Mets. Zito hired the biggest scumbag, known for squeezing every last penny from organizations. To make matters worse, the money has affected his mindset, which was the only thing that made him the sought-after pitcher that he was.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:21 pm
Thunder wrote:I can see how you guys are mad at Zito, but you should really be aiming your anger at ...

I don't see it. I see Lincecum and Cain obviously finishing better than Zito. I see Lowry coming back and being solid, which is more than Zito can say. I even see this season as Jonathan Sanchez's maturity season; he's striking out batters and his hits/runs per game seem to go down everytime he takes the mound. Correa has also shown that he's a great spot starter.

I count that as 5 guys on the Giants' staff who are better current options than Zito. And one could even make an educated argument for Merkin Valdez, after he lit up 2 innings to start Lincecim's rain delay, and Pat Misch (down in Triple A). Zito is at a point where he's questionably the 6th or 7th best pitcher on the Giants... and, yet, Bochy insists on making him our ace. I know his contract is insane, but he can at least move him to the #5 spot and keep him in the rotation.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:38 pm
You can blame Zito all you want for hiring the scumbag, but I'd be more pissed at Sabean than anyone else if I were a Giants fan. It takes a blowhard agent to set something up but you still need an idiot to pull the trigger and Sabean has proved again and again that he is the man for the job.

To be honest, I haven't seen Barry pitch at all either in person this year or on tv, but I had to deal with his spring woes for a long time when he was with Oakland. He is certainly not an ace, as much as Bochy touts him to be one, but at the end of the year he isn't a slouch either. Here are his career splits for April and post All Star break:

April: 4.78 ERA, 1.39 WHIP, and a .253 BAA.

Post All Star: 3.36 ERA, 1.21 WHIP, and a .223 BAA.

There is a strong chance that if Sanchez breaks the rotation he'll be better than Barry, but I don't think anyone else you listed will end up being better than Zito in the end. They all might be better than him in April, but not in the end.

I wouldn't be too sure of Lowry either - coming back from any kind of surgery is risky for anyone but I wouldn't want to put my eggs in the basket of a kid who has a career 1.38 WHIP when healthy. He just puts way too many runners on base and it is going to catch up to him.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:45 pm
Lowry pitched better than Zito last year. So far, we haven't had a basis for comparison this year.

Zito reminds me a lot of Shawn Estes. He's a finese guy, whose also a head case, melts whenever anyone's on base, has long stretches of time where he can't find the strike zone, his fastball is WAY too slow for the big leagues, and his offspeed pitches are sporadic (sometimes, his curveball is the best in baseball... sometimes, its an automatic homerun). I'm sure in his days in Oakland, Zito could have been seen as a 2-3 guy (except '02, when he was clearly an ace)... but now, Zito doesn't look like he should be above the 5-slot in San Francisco. That's troubling, considering he's pitching with a bunch of kids. He should be the solid veteran... and, instead, Zito's the one we're all worried about.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:11 pm
Thunder wrote:I wouldn't be too sure of Lowry either - coming back from any kind of surgery is risky for anyone but I wouldn't want to put my eggs in the basket of a kid who has a career 1.38 WHIP when healthy. He just puts way too many runners on base and it is going to catch up to him.

No one is putting all of their eggs in Lowrys basket ( :oops: ewww that sounds gross :mrgreen: ) but Zito hasn't shown anyone anything in the past 2 years, plus the start of this season, that he is capable of being any better or even as good as Lowry.

Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:55 pm
Thunder wrote:I can see how you guys are mad at Zito, but you should really be aiming your anger at ...

haha why be mad at scott boras? All that guy cares about is getting his clients the most money the possibly can, so looks like he did his job pretty good...

haha money well spent by the giants

Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:31 pm
arrite fellas is this the night zito gets a win or will he go 0-5 to start the season? giants up 3-2 right now.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:09 pm
Well there you go, 0-5. He got 13 hits of support, but only 4 of them were scored. On a side note, Emmanuel Burriss got his first hit.
Next

Return to Sports Board